Duel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Duel Reviews

September 27, 2016
A man and a truck and and 90 minutes of suspense
September 18, 2016
One of those movies made years before I was around but a classic! This is a wild ride in psychology, and a very well made, well thought out movie
September 5, 2016
Anyone who has ever driven a car can tell you a story about a crazy driver who seemed like they were out to get you. In this case, there is good reason to be worried. Spielberg's first movie, made for TV, was what gave Universal the confidence to have him direct Jaws. It's certainly one of his most underappreciated movies. It perfectly captures one man's paranoia and fear about being stalked by an unstoppable force. The truck in this movie might as well be a terminator of Jason Voorhees. Certainly worth a watch for the horror movie or Spielberg fan out there.
½ August 25, 2016
I have never liked TV movies. They are usually very cheaply made, have appalling production values and screenplays and unknown casts and filmmakers. So it is with some trepidation when I found out Duel was originally a US TVM that only had a cinematic release in Europe after some more footage was added.
What originally drew me to view Duel was that it is the directorial debut of Steven Spielberg from 1971.
I was not left disappointed. Duel ranks as the best TVM/limited cinema release I have ever seen. Made some 4 years before Jaws, Spielberg's breakthrough movie that defined the summer blockbuster film you can see elements of his film making genius in this production.
It basically follows some middle class businessman driving along a long US highway being terrorised by a diesel truck.
At the start of the film the driver (Dennis Weaver) has some gleaming 1970s gas guzzler but by the end it is a wreck and so is his psychological well being!
The diesel truck or tanker is a dark beast that speeds, rams and chases the car with a sadistic 'Mad Max' like streak. The driver is never observed hiding behind darkened glass.
Duel is a beast of a road movie. I used to think the tanker chase at the end of Licence To Kill was impressive but this goes on for nearly ninety minutes. A nonstop tirade of driving stunts, the breaking of a respectable businessman you are lead to believe.
The production was made on a tiny budget but that it looks far more impressive. All this year's before CGI blighted cinema.
I deplore everyone who has found Spielberg's later work entertaining to check this out. You will be pleasantly surprised.
August 8, 2016
Fantastic thriller. It's too bad Spielberg didn't stick with the horror/thriller genre. He could've easily produced some of the greatest classics. It's pretty telling when at 21, in the 70s, in less than two weeks, for TV, made a thriller that's more effective than some of the"masters" from today...
July 17, 2016
Watch this and see the DNA of Jaws being laid out here. Just replace the shark with a truck.
July 2, 2016
i only finished the movie to see what would happen at the end. too long....so much potential but a bore in my opinion.
½ June 5, 2016
Simple, Spielberg, Brilliant.
½ May 25, 2016
You can see this movie was the prototype for Jaws. Only instead of a shark, it's a mysterious truck driver making one man's life hell. Great movie though.
April 17, 2016
Steven Spielberg's debut feature length movie is a relentless and thrilling suspense masterwork with a gloriously simple premise, "man chased by truck", that Spielberg maximizes to 110% with excellent camerawork, clever detail, razor sharp editing and incredibly sustained, unbearable tension from start to finish. Possibly one of the purest thrillers ever made, and proof if it were needed that the master of cinema was a born genius storyteller from the get go.
½ April 10, 2016
Was gripped by this film when I saw it on TV. The suspense is great.
April 4, 2016
Worst movie off all time!
½ March 20, 2016
Grade: B-
Rating: 7.0/10
February 28, 2016
There is brilliance in simplicity, and also in Spielberg's first feature length directorial effort. It's intense, precise in it's execution, fitfully acted, paced to perfection, and wonderfully shot. It is surprising that this was originally a made for TV movie of the week, but it just shows the promise of a master at work with a clear vision at just 24 years old. Amazing.
February 26, 2016
Steven Spielberg's 1971 Film (Duel) is one of the greatest TV movies I've ever watched, also great acting by the late Dennis Weaver.
½ February 20, 2016
the same intense edge-of-your seat tension from Jaws and Jurrasic Park are already here in this made for TV precursor by Spielberg.
½ February 15, 2016
Steven Spielberg is a genius since day one. Duel is an excellent thriller.
January 23, 2016
It's not just a duel about a man and an another crazy man!It's a duel about a car and a truck.Spielberg starts his career with a great force!!!!
½ January 23, 2016
The days when Spielberg could make superb thrillers with very little money. Sadly, he became rich, and traded it in for his talent.
January 20, 2016
This is of the best movies I ever seen, even no one understands what's happening, Spielberg proved his talent as a smart director years ago