Escape from New York - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Escape from New York Reviews

August 21, 2017
So awesome! One of my favorites. Never losses its punch.
August 18, 2017
I am amazed sometimes at the stuff that ends up in the category of classic - which I guess this has. It's not horrible but just standard silly nonsense with nothing to distinguish it from a million other things. 4.1 out of 10.
August 9, 2017
Back when Kurt Russel was a total badass. Highly recommended
½ August 5, 2017
Classic action thriller thanks to Kurt Russell's breakout performance & John Carpenter's atmospheric direction. Russell is superb as Snake Plisskin, crafting one of the great anti-heroes in cinema, in what was then a breakout performance (people forget many still saw him as a Disney kid at the time). He gets wonderful support from the rest of the cast, particularly Ernest Borgnine as Cabby and Donald Pleasance as the President (he has a lot of fun playing hostage). Behind the camera, Carpenter crafts an atmospheric and exciting thriller, albeit one that is dated. The notion of turning Manhattan into a prison camp is even more ridiculous today, though Carpenter makes great use of it's iconic landmarks (it is always great to see the Twin Towers in any film). One also wishes he had more time to explore the world created there, but still has a nice bit of social commentary (apparently, the President is not all that worth saving), along with some thrilling action scenes (the chase on a mine invested bridge is a highlight). Overall, one of the best action films of the 80's along with being one of Carpenter's best films.
½ July 31, 2017
I saw this in 1981 as a b movie to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest. I actually think it is better then Cuckoo's Nest though. it is one of the first sci-fi action films that really mattered in my mind. It is highly original and visionary. Kurt Russell get sent into America's largest prison, which is actually Manhattan Island. It is then his mission to locate the president of the United States who has gone missing in the prison. Fantastic film
July 14, 2017
Director, John Carpenter (Assault on Precinct 13, Halloween, The Thing) writes and directs this film about, New York becoming a maximum security prison. This film stars, Kurt Russell as, Snake Plissken, a felon who tries to escape New York. This film is an action masterpiece cult classic. Acting is great, and overall is a great film
June 30, 2017
Despite its lackadaisical pace in the beginning, it really comes together towards the end (and you can tell this has been emulated in one way or another by other filmmakers since). B+
June 29, 2017
The generally ham acting throughout was tolerable with the wonderful props and made for an entertaining, if unrefined movie dinner.
½ June 2, 2017
classic anti hero snake kicks aass
½ May 29, 2017
Although I really enjoyed this movie, and Kurt Russell's Snake Plissken character, I felt that this film was just a sequence of cool concepts that never had a chance to be fully realized. Characters are often referring to Snake's past, but you never get to fully understand who he is or what happened to make him the way he is, and several characters seem to be introduced purely to die slowing down the villains in the final scene on the bridge. This film has an interesting premise and potentially interesting characters, but needed a little more time in the writing stage.
May 25, 2017
The greatest movie of all time?

Yes, Snake. The greatest movie of all time.
May 20, 2017
This movie is awesome. While it does not have as much action as I had expected, it is still great. Kurt Russell gives a great performance here.
May 8, 2017
In my opinion, this is Carpenters best score. It's all feel and tone with this flick. The effects seem a little dated, are none less effective. Nobody can show a movie theater audience a good time like the legendary John Carpenter.
May 8, 2017
Kurt Russell is good in the role and the movie looks cool, it could've been more thrilling though.
May 5, 2017
Amazing movie, Kurt Russel at his best.
½ April 29, 2017
9 out of 10:

Exciting, great sets, and strange, this makes for a fine movie night.
½ April 27, 2017
Young Kurt Russell, classic John Carpenter. For me its a campy classic. By no means a great film, but fun in its dated and over the top way.
April 26, 2017
This film is ok by 80s standards
½ April 20, 2017
John Carpenter is the cult movie director's cult movie director, and Escape From New York is one of his most famous projects. It was Kurt Russell's break away from his clean Disney image, and he goes full Clint Eastwood in the iconic role of Snake Plissken, making the simple act wearing of an eyepatch look like the coolest thing in the world. It's also got a great supporting cast: Ernest Borgnine as a mad cabbie, Lee Van Cleef as a menacing Police Commissioner, Donald Pleasance as a jittering, bizarrely English accented American President. I didn't get much into the story, which is a bit of a jumbled mess, and it didn't leave much of an impact on me when it was over. But it has plenty of atmosphere, cool music, fantastic set designs and tonnes of authenticity. It didn't enjoy it as much as I would have liked, but I can easily appreciate its influence.
April 19, 2017
Snake Plissken is known as one of the most iconic sci-fi characters in film history, but why? Kurt Russell is a fine actor in just about everything he does, but Escape From New York never gives him anything to do besides hold a gun which he uses maybe once the entire film? It's safe to say I wasn't impressed with this film.

Manhattan is now a security prison for criminals of all variety and after the President crash lands in the middle of the city, Plissken is hired to rescue him. Apparently Plissken is like the boogeyman for these Manhattan criminals, since they all know who he is but didn't seem to know he actually existed or where he's been. The weirdest part, however, is we never get to see him to anything of value. Even in criminals past references, they never mentioned anything specifically which would warrant him a spot to save the President.

It's one thing if the film embraces its silliness and makes all of the dialogue, action, and performances cheesy, but they don't. The tone is never truly set. On one hand, you have Plissken taking on dozens of criminals who look like they are wearing Mad Max cosplay, but then you have the issue of the President's life being on the line. Those are two opposing tones butting heads, and you never get a grasp on the type of film John Carpenter wants to make. I think Carpenter is a masterful director, but Escape From New York felt kind of like a cheap side project for him. Though, I will say Carpenter's original score made for this film is brilliant.

I think a lot of my frustration comes from the fact that this film was made close to 40 years ago, and therefore, there's plenty of dated qualities to it. CGI was young in 1981, and it shows. That and the green screen effects were difficult to watch. Of course, these aren't necessarily the film's fault, but sometimes the reach shouldn't exceed the grasp by that much of a margin. It's not the fault of the film, but I've seen plenty that are better since. Donald Pleasance doesn't get much to do, and neither does anybody in a supporting role. And most of all, I just didn't care for any of the characters or the story they were in.

+Great score

-Why is Plissken so revered?

-Dated