Escape from New York - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Escape from New York Reviews

April 27, 2018
"Escape from New York" (1981) can be a little boring at times but is still an ok action film.
It's better to watch this than the sequel "Escape from L.A" (1997).
April 19, 2018
Classic Carpenter 4.5/5
March 5, 2018
Great movie from the 80's with a iconic soundtrack and awesome story.
½ February 1, 2018
Boring. Actions scenes fall flat and not strong enough to keep the audiences entertained. 3/10.
January 28, 2018
New York City is turned into a jail. The president flys over it? Big plot hole. But makes for an entertaining story. Very weak antagonists really hurt this movie though. They needed a much better "Duke".
December 27, 2017
A big big big movie, build upon a really scarce budget ... and to build a legend out of it. The story is fascinating, the best is understanding how director Carpenter build the whole scene, first from a scenographic point of view, then as characters step in, how the whole world gets depicted... up to the apocaliptic end.
Not even mentioned until now, Kurt Russel starts here, from a supposed B movie, to show all of his skill. Awesome.
December 21, 2017
Pretty good movie. Doesn't have really memorable moments Everything kind of just happens. The best thing in this movie are the tits and the one-liners. It was also col seeing the inspiration for Metal Gear Solid.
½ November 7, 2017
Escape from New York is an entertaining film. It is about mercenary Snake Plissken is sent on a mission to rescue the President from the island's ruling felons or die trying when Air Forces One crashes on the island of New York City. Kurt Russell and Lee Van Cleef give amazing performances. The script is well written. John Carpenter did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the action. Escape from New York is a must see.
November 3, 2017
Kurt Russell executes convincingly as he plays Snake Plisken a badass that rescues the president
October 29, 2017
Fun and exciting. Great look to it to from the cult classic director John Carpenter.
October 2, 2017
10/1/2017: A pretty decent early 80?s sci-fi type flick.
October 2, 2017
One of the all-time classic, must watch movies before you die. If you're expecting a love story, don't this movie is as gritty as any in the history of cinema.
½ September 27, 2017
Escape from New York is a John Carpenter cult classic movie. Of course the special effects are outdated but the story and the music are great. Enjoyable in general.
September 26, 2017
viewed on 28/7/04 (Wed)

If it is not made by John Carpenter, I don't think I will be interested in watching this actioner. I like the setup. 1997 New York (this movie was made in 1981) is now an isolated island where all the hardened criminals are left to fend for themselves. The President crash lands accidentally in it and needs an outlaw Snake, played by Kurt Russell, to rescue him.

For an actioner, the plot and the action are not that great but somehow things fall into places quite nicely. I expected something more to the cheesy side.

Being John Carpenter, there are a couple of 'decently' gory scenes. The soundtrack is very 'John Carpenter' too. The church organ music makes it feel like I am watching a horror movie.

I watch this out of curiosity and I don't expect myself to like it. But for its cultish feel, I have to admit this is a rather good movie. Can even be considered as an actioner classic.

Rating: B+
½ September 26, 2017
It didn't thrilled me like some other '80s scifi movies. I consider it a small minus but this doesn't allow a full sufficiency to the movie in my eyes.
August 21, 2017
So awesome! One of my favorites. Never losses its punch.
August 18, 2017
I am amazed sometimes at the stuff that ends up in the category of classic - which I guess this has. It's not horrible but just standard silly nonsense with nothing to distinguish it from a million other things. 4.1 out of 10.
August 9, 2017
Back when Kurt Russel was a total badass. Highly recommended
½ August 5, 2017
Classic action thriller thanks to Kurt Russell's breakout performance & John Carpenter's atmospheric direction. Russell is superb as Snake Plisskin, crafting one of the great anti-heroes in cinema, in what was then a breakout performance (people forget many still saw him as a Disney kid at the time). He gets wonderful support from the rest of the cast, particularly Ernest Borgnine as Cabby and Donald Pleasance as the President (he has a lot of fun playing hostage). Behind the camera, Carpenter crafts an atmospheric and exciting thriller, albeit one that is dated. The notion of turning Manhattan into a prison camp is even more ridiculous today, though Carpenter makes great use of it's iconic landmarks (it is always great to see the Twin Towers in any film). One also wishes he had more time to explore the world created there, but still has a nice bit of social commentary (apparently, the President is not all that worth saving), along with some thrilling action scenes (the chase on a mine invested bridge is a highlight). Overall, one of the best action films of the 80's along with being one of Carpenter's best films.
½ July 31, 2017
I saw this in 1981 as a b movie to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest. I actually think it is better then Cuckoo's Nest though. it is one of the first sci-fi action films that really mattered in my mind. It is highly original and visionary. Kurt Russell get sent into America's largest prison, which is actually Manhattan Island. It is then his mission to locate the president of the United States who has gone missing in the prison. Fantastic film