Footloose - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Footloose Reviews

October 26, 2017
Considering the impact and iconic nature of this film's soundtrack and general cultural significance, I expected more than the film delivered by the time the credits rolled. The improbable and insignificant story, combined with decent acting and spotty camera work made this feel like an average teen movie from the 80's rather than the hit classic it has become.
August 20, 2017
I have to say, this is better than I thought it would be. I don't buy Kevin Bacon as a gymnast, but he can dance! The scene at the end is great, as is the dancing montage with Willard. I liked the fact that they could have made the preacher a one-note character, but they didn't. They fleshed out his storyline to make him a more sympathetic character. It's interesting to see Sarah Jessica Parker in this early role. And it will get Kenny Loggins in your head for quite a while. As 80s dance movies go, I would take this one over Dirty Dancing any day.
July 23, 2017
Just finished watching, "FOOTLOOSE" for the 20th time. Many good moral messages, and just a lot of fun!
½ July 4, 2017
Footloose contains enjoyable sequence of dance numbers and entertaining teenager moments, but it needs more substance to hold it.
May 20, 2017
An excellent film based on the idea that we can listen to each other, grow as a people and culture, and that literature, dancing, and much else are beautiful ways to express ourselves, not something to fear. "The devil's not in these books; he's in here [points to heart]."
May 4, 2017
A ridiculous plot with bad dancing and cheesy eighties music. (First and only viewing - Teen years)
May 4, 2017
Loved this movie. It was great. Great story to it.
April 30, 2017
Thematically, I found the movie very disagreeable, but in terms of fun: it excels.
½ April 15, 2017
meh, I like the remake more better compared to this one. The only thing that's better in this movie than the remake is the Chuck and Ariel fight scene. That's about it. The rest is bleh, and the ending of the remake is better too.
April 12, 2017
Ok old so called timeless classic movie starring Kevin bacon. I like every part of Kevin bacon dancing but everything else is pretty boring . Without Kevin bacon this movie would be garbage . To be truth theirs not a lot of stuff to talk about besides how good Kevin bacon is , how generic is the plot and the dancing battle between foot loose and dirty dancing, who will win.
½ April 6, 2017
Kevin Bacon is fun to watch. The guy is an icon. The dancing scenes are just awesome. Yeah, the movie is dated and corny, but I like it anyway.
April 6, 2017
Footloose offers great dance sequences and Kevin Bacon as His star-making role as Ren McCormack an enduring 80s cult classic
½ February 13, 2017
Finally got around to seeing this. Surprisingly more entertaining than I expected. High school dramas may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I thought it was a nice family film.
December 18, 2016
Je ne l'avais jamais vu. Décevant. J'imagine qu'il faut se remettre dans le temps. Le virage du pasteur est ben trop facile et sans raison.
November 16, 2016
Such a classic movie. Great ending.
November 15, 2016
Let's hear it for the boy
½ November 9, 2016
Footloose is one of those films that I know I saw scenes of growing up, and I listened to the soundtrack regularly, but I don't recall ever watching it from start to finish. Now that I have, I must say this movie holds up spectacularly well. I always thought of it as a movie about a town that bans dancing. However, watching it now as an adult I can see that the real story is much deeper than that. Footloose is about a boy who feels stifled in a harshly judgmental town, a daughter who feels dominated by an overly-protective father, and a father who has allowed grief to steer his actions in a negative direction. There's so much emotion tied up in the events of this movie that I never would have understood as a kid, so I'm glad to watch it now. I kind of loved every aspect of this movie.

Kevin Bacon plays Ren brilliantly as the boy who looks bad, but acts honorably. His stress-relief dance scene was one of a kind and completely satisfying. Lori Singer is great as the repressed daughter. She seems conflicted about how to react to the way her family life has gone, and her relationships are clearly a symptom of that situation. I'll honestly say, though, out of all the performances John Lithgow might be the best. He plays Reverend Moore as someone who isn't really acting out of hate, someone who has a heart and a conscience (sometimes embodied for us by Dianne Wiest,) but also as someone who has allowed his fear and grief to take control of him. The scene where his daughter finally confronts him in church was emotionally devastating for me, because I could see what was underlying that entire discussion.

I think the one big missing link in the film was a blatant conversation where they discuss the death in the family. It just seemed like they came so close, but there wasn't a cathartic moment where you could see them deal with that and achieve full reconciliation between father and daughter. But even without that, I still had so much fun with Footloose. The songs are so catchy, and almost demand tapping your toes or just getting up and dancing along. The montage where Ren teaches Willard to dance is amazing, and watching the final sequence I couldn't help smiling from ear to ear. Footloose isn't perfect, but it's pretty close and gave me something to be happy about today.
½ October 30, 2016
makes a great song not a great movie
September 11, 2016
Good music but the story isn't nearly as good as other dance movies like Dirty Dancing.
September 4, 2016
Unbelievably cheesy, but good fun, despite Lori Singer's infernal screaming.