Footloose - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Footloose Reviews

November 16, 2016
Such a classic movie. Great ending.
November 15, 2016
Let's hear it for the boy
½ November 9, 2016
Footloose is one of those films that I know I saw scenes of growing up, and I listened to the soundtrack regularly, but I don't recall ever watching it from start to finish. Now that I have, I must say this movie holds up spectacularly well. I always thought of it as a movie about a town that bans dancing. However, watching it now as an adult I can see that the real story is much deeper than that. Footloose is about a boy who feels stifled in a harshly judgmental town, a daughter who feels dominated by an overly-protective father, and a father who has allowed grief to steer his actions in a negative direction. There's so much emotion tied up in the events of this movie that I never would have understood as a kid, so I'm glad to watch it now. I kind of loved every aspect of this movie.

Kevin Bacon plays Ren brilliantly as the boy who looks bad, but acts honorably. His stress-relief dance scene was one of a kind and completely satisfying. Lori Singer is great as the repressed daughter. She seems conflicted about how to react to the way her family life has gone, and her relationships are clearly a symptom of that situation. I'll honestly say, though, out of all the performances John Lithgow might be the best. He plays Reverend Moore as someone who isn't really acting out of hate, someone who has a heart and a conscience (sometimes embodied for us by Dianne Wiest,) but also as someone who has allowed his fear and grief to take control of him. The scene where his daughter finally confronts him in church was emotionally devastating for me, because I could see what was underlying that entire discussion.

I think the one big missing link in the film was a blatant conversation where they discuss the death in the family. It just seemed like they came so close, but there wasn't a cathartic moment where you could see them deal with that and achieve full reconciliation between father and daughter. But even without that, I still had so much fun with Footloose. The songs are so catchy, and almost demand tapping your toes or just getting up and dancing along. The montage where Ren teaches Willard to dance is amazing, and watching the final sequence I couldn't help smiling from ear to ear. Footloose isn't perfect, but it's pretty close and gave me something to be happy about today.
½ October 30, 2016
makes a great song not a great movie
September 11, 2016
Good music but the story isn't nearly as good as other dance movies like Dirty Dancing.
September 4, 2016
Unbelievably cheesy, but good fun, despite Lori Singer's infernal screaming.
August 24, 2016
So I finally cut the original "Footloose," can you believe it? It's pretty good, and interestingly enough, less hokey and polished than the remake. Kevin Bacon's dance double is a bit obvious. I'm not into Lori Singer's face, and she's clearly not a dancer like Julianne Hough, but she's plenty wild and troubled (unlike my previous assumption of Ariel's character just from viewing the 2011 remake), which is quite ballsy for a 1984 movie, methinks. Chris Penn is adorable as honky-tonk Willard, and the "Let's Hear It For the Boy" dance montage is just everything. Rusty is a fun, colorful supporting character, and I always love seeing SJP in her younger roles. She looks completely different, yet still unmistakably herself.

The original's got a few 80s oddities, like the hair metal, the camera editing tricks, the gauzy balloon and confetti filter during the prom dance, and a high school full of built, adult-looking, male gymnasts, but one thing that I enjoyed more here is the fleshing out of Shaw and Vi's story. I've always thought John Lithgow such a goofy actor, by virtue of "3rd Rock From the Sun" being my first exposure to him, but I forget that he's actually a very decorated performer, and he is brilliantly grave and conflicted as the Reverend. Dianne Wiest also gives a quietly determined performance as the good little preacher's wife.
August 9, 2016
A new kid brings dancing back to a town that banned it due to a tragic event in this good but not great teen drama.
July 27, 2016
Awesome movie and a classic! Love the unique story and well developed plot. To sum this movie up on one word "dance!" Highly recommended!
July 25, 2016
Trashy, formulaic and dull, Footloose is undercast and lacks emotion - but the music is great.
July 15, 2016
Awesome classic movie.
June 25, 2016
Counrty guy in a new town ... high school, drugs, peer pressure and how to deal. Amazing job.
½ June 13, 2016
Small town rebel shakes up town hall with a prom. Sounds horrible but the underlying themes, about parenting, religion, sex, and coming of age make this Grease wanna-be a classic. A cult soundtrack from the master of the 80s Kenny Loggins, plus classic supporting roles from John Lithgow, Sara Jessica Parker, and Chris Penn compliment Kevin Bacon's iconic breakout which in sum make this a time capsule of 80s high school culture. Best enjoyed with your friends, leg warmers, and some spiked punch.
½ April 29, 2016
I didn't find Footloose very convincing. Is it about the teenage outsider? The preacher's daughter? The preacher himself? Is it a MTV clip? Is it a dance movie? I think that it didn't age as well as other films of its period.
April 27, 2016
Great fun! Great sound track! And who doesn't like Kevin Bacon, or John Lithgow. When they got their 72% rating I'm sure they weren't asking the young girls of 1984!
April 20, 2016
4 stars just for the music!
February 13, 2016
Still need to see the last 10mins!! Watched in preparation for seeing the stage show this week!!
January 17, 2016
A fun upbeat 80's teen movie that has a little bit of everything. It's like half music video, half drama, in a good way. Don't listen to bad reviews from critics. This is a really charming movie. You know what I really love about it? It makes all the characters human, even the preacher and his wife. They aren't caricatures or cardboard cut outs. You actually get to know and understand them. You discover why they're who they are.
December 17, 2015
Iconic Film,still love it
December 13, 2015
This is the greatest film in the history of documented society!! The angry dance scene is incomparable in all of humanity!!!! If you haven't seen this movie at least 30 times, then you aren't living your life!!!!! Simply amazing!!!!!!