Footloose - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Footloose Reviews

September 11, 2016
Good music but the story isn't nearly as good as other dance movies like Dirty Dancing.
September 4, 2016
Unbelievably cheesy, but good fun, despite Lori Singer's infernal screaming.
August 24, 2016
So I finally cut the original "Footloose," can you believe it? It's pretty good, and interestingly enough, less hokey and polished than the remake. Kevin Bacon's dance double is a bit obvious. I'm not into Lori Singer's face, and she's clearly not a dancer like Julianne Hough, but she's plenty wild and troubled (unlike my previous assumption of Ariel's character just from viewing the 2011 remake), which is quite ballsy for a 1984 movie, methinks. Chris Penn is adorable as honky-tonk Willard, and the "Let's Hear It For the Boy" dance montage is just everything. Rusty is a fun, colorful supporting character, and I always love seeing SJP in her younger roles. She looks completely different, yet still unmistakably herself.

The original's got a few 80s oddities, like the hair metal, the camera editing tricks, the gauzy balloon and confetti filter during the prom dance, and a high school full of built, adult-looking, male gymnasts, but one thing that I enjoyed more here is the fleshing out of Shaw and Vi's story. I've always thought John Lithgow such a goofy actor, by virtue of "3rd Rock From the Sun" being my first exposure to him, but I forget that he's actually a very decorated performer, and he is brilliantly grave and conflicted as the Reverend. Dianne Wiest also gives a quietly determined performance as the good little preacher's wife.
August 9, 2016
A new kid brings dancing back to a town that banned it due to a tragic event in this good but not great teen drama.
July 27, 2016
Awesome movie and a classic! Love the unique story and well developed plot. To sum this movie up on one word "dance!" Highly recommended!
July 25, 2016
Trashy, formulaic and dull, Footloose is undercast and lacks emotion - but the music is great.
July 15, 2016
Awesome classic movie.
June 25, 2016
Counrty guy in a new town ... high school, drugs, peer pressure and how to deal. Amazing job.
½ June 13, 2016
Small town rebel shakes up town hall with a prom. Sounds horrible but the underlying themes, about parenting, religion, sex, and coming of age make this Grease wanna-be a classic. A cult soundtrack from the master of the 80s Kenny Loggins, plus classic supporting roles from John Lithgow, Sara Jessica Parker, and Chris Penn compliment Kevin Bacon's iconic breakout which in sum make this a time capsule of 80s high school culture. Best enjoyed with your friends, leg warmers, and some spiked punch.
½ April 29, 2016
I didn't find Footloose very convincing. Is it about the teenage outsider? The preacher's daughter? The preacher himself? Is it a MTV clip? Is it a dance movie? I think that it didn't age as well as other films of its period.
April 27, 2016
Great fun! Great sound track! And who doesn't like Kevin Bacon, or John Lithgow. When they got their 72% rating I'm sure they weren't asking the young girls of 1984!
April 20, 2016
4 stars just for the music!
March 10, 2016
Such a classic movie. Great ending.
February 13, 2016
Still need to see the last 10mins!! Watched in preparation for seeing the stage show this week!!
January 17, 2016
A fun upbeat 80's teen movie that has a little bit of everything. It's like half music video, half drama, in a good way. Don't listen to bad reviews from critics. This is a really charming movie. You know what I really love about it? It makes all the characters human, even the preacher and his wife. They aren't caricatures or cardboard cut outs. You actually get to know and understand them. You discover why they're who they are.
December 17, 2015
Iconic Film,still love it
December 13, 2015
This is the greatest film in the history of documented society!! The angry dance scene is incomparable in all of humanity!!!! If you haven't seen this movie at least 30 times, then you aren't living your life!!!!! Simply amazing!!!!!!
December 5, 2015
An iconic film - filled with typical prejudices, teen angst, and combining glorious soundtrack with footwork. And a contrived feel-good ending. Well worth watching in spite of itself (or yourself).
½ November 26, 2015
Sure it doesn't make much sense that the teenagers of this small town that has outlawed dancing for five years could all dance so well, yet this is an enjoyable film with a great soundtrack and John Lithgow as a character who is more complex than your typical zealot antagonist.
November 1, 2015
Footloose doesn't live up to the hype, but the dance scenes themselves are total cheese and it's awesome.