Footloose - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Footloose Reviews

½ May 19, 2019
I hate this movie with the burning fire of a thousand suns.
May 5, 2019
This is an absolute classic. The plot is a wonderful struggle of someone who doesn't fit in meeting other people that don't necessarily fit in and attempting to make a difference in the world. Great characters and a great story make this great and all but you remember it for one reason: The Music. Footloose is not by any means a musical, but you could almost consider it one. The plot itself revolves around music and with it comes one of the best soundtracks of all time. The music is so well integrated with the plot and every scene is enhanced by it. Kevin Bacon is awesome, perfect mix of drama and fun.
March 12, 2019
about as entertaining as my left big toe
February 24, 2019
An enjoyable movie with fun dancing and a great soundtrack.
February 22, 2019
the greatest movie on earth
February 1, 2019
The best inspiring movie ever made! With the best movie song ever sung: the title song!
January 16, 2019
Was it the best movie I had ever seen? No. Was it super enjoyable and lovable? Definitely. I had a great time watching Footloose and would recommend it.
December 30, 2018
A constant tug-of-war between its good facets (acting leads) and its terrible ones (setting and progression) result in a tale which allows people trapped in a religiously unenforcable milieu, who haven't danced in years, finally strut their stuff in an inexplicably expert manner. Its montages feel like music videos without titles and its drama and comedy interchange in amateurish ways.
November 10, 2018
One of my all time favorites. I love Kevin Bacon!
October 25, 2018
I loved this movie! The way it deals with conservative religion without really judging it, it was brilliant! And
July 30, 2018
Fantastic 80's movie! Always been my favorite. Great actors and storyline.
July 8, 2018
This is the greatest movie of all time. If you don't agree then we can't date. I know you are heartbroken about it.
June 7, 2018
Footloose twirls into excellence.

Footloose is a fun musical centered heavily in drama that exemplifies why people love 1980's film. It gives you laughs along with sincere tears. This film delves into the repression of middle America and suburban conservatism. You see kids that just want to have fun, while the oppressive adults cling to religious fanaticism, traditional values, and absolute censorship. Footloose is a coming of age story, dance musical, and romance tale all in one delightful package.

Director Herbert Ross does an admirable job finding interesting shots, apt framing, and cool panning sequences. The dance numbers are well choreographed and exhilarating. You get to focus in on these students and the most intimate moments in these characters' lives thanks to Ross' focused direction. I found Footloose's direction to hold up quite well.

Furthermore, Kevin Bacon as Ren is remarkable leading Footloose in his breakout role! I think Bacon is totally believable as a Chicago kid turned small town hero. His acting is already compelling on a dramatic level. He delivers tender lines and great monologues with the small careful touch that rings true. He is genuine and natural. Bacon manages drama, romance, dance, and comedy all in one performance. No wonder Bacon's career took off after Footloose.

On the other hand, my major problem with Footloose that keeps it from timeless perfection is the poor acting from Lori Singer as Ariel. She is flat both as a dramatic lead and as a romantic lead. She delivers line after line with a ridiculously overacted tone. I cannot believe how bad her performance is in Footloose. She constantly interjects with a nonsensical line for a script that does her lackluster acting no favors. She is awkward and not convincing as her character. Unfortunately, Singer ruins the numerous scenes she is in as the supporting cast has to save her underwhelming diction.

However, Footloose boasts a wonderful supporting cast. John Lithgow is superb as the ultra fundamentalist preacher and father figure Reverend Shaw Moore. He delivers a layered and nuanced performance splendidly. You will loathe him until you understand him. Similarly, Dianne Wiest as Ariel's mother Vi Moore is contemptible for her initial silence, then lovable for her outspokenness. I appreciate her diverse role as well as Lithgow's acting. Both respectable performances.

Likewise, Chris Penn is certainly amusing as the befuddled friend Willard to Kevin Bacon's Ren. I also truly appreciate the lovely performance from a young spunky Sarah Jessica Parker. She is so convincing and likable in Footloose when she's on screen. She radiates a good time so much so that I think she should have been cast as the lead not the annoying Lori Singer. What a missed opportunity. I do not normally like Parker in movies, but she pulls off Rusty with a wry charm.

Finally, I would be remiss to not mention Footloose's outstanding soundtrack. Kenny Loggins and Moving Pictures get the main highlight moments, but the entire musical accompaniment is glorious fun. You will want to dance and sing along for sure. Footloose's soundtrack is one of cinema's all time best.
May 26, 2018
Regardless of anything Spiderman says, this is still the greatest movie in history. The preacher's redemption arch is particularly beautiful. This is a deep, uplifting, and dare I say profound film showing the importance of social liberty among youth and that you cannot control someone you love. The music, Especially the title song by Kenny Logging is fantastic and vivifying. I recommend that every person on Earth watch this at some point. But not the remake, it sucks.
April 20, 2018
what did david do..

Footloose

Yes, its a bit cheesy, familiar and your typical teenage feature but it also works like a charm. The feature goes into places as anticipated and still doesn't go low on entertainment. The execution by Herbert Ross is the real culprit that restraints this flying free script and concept by Dean Pitchford who has done an amazing job on writing the songs too. Kevin Bacon is good on his role along with Lori Singer and John Lithgow who are amazing in it too. Footloose is stunning on terms of musical features and a cultural hub that attratcts younger viewers but if craft is accounted in, it fails to offer anything more than a two page script.
January 6, 2018
I am too bias to know if it's a guilty pleasure or a masterpiece. Ok, well... I know the answer. Still. Love you KB, keep dancing like no one's watching!
October 26, 2017
Considering the impact and iconic nature of this film's soundtrack and general cultural significance, I expected more than the film delivered by the time the credits rolled. The improbable and insignificant story, combined with decent acting and spotty camera work made this feel like an average teen movie from the 80's rather than the hit classic it has become.
August 20, 2017
I have to say, this is better than I thought it would be. I don't buy Kevin Bacon as a gymnast, but he can dance! The scene at the end is great, as is the dancing montage with Willard. I liked the fact that they could have made the preacher a one-note character, but they didn't. They fleshed out his storyline to make him a more sympathetic character. It's interesting to see Sarah Jessica Parker in this early role. And it will get Kenny Loggins in your head for quite a while. As 80s dance movies go, I would take this one over Dirty Dancing any day.
July 23, 2017
Just finished watching, "FOOTLOOSE" for the 20th time. Many good moral messages, and just a lot of fun!
½ July 4, 2017
Footloose contains enjoyable sequence of dance numbers and entertaining teenager moments, but it needs more substance to hold it.