Frankenstein - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Frankenstein Reviews

½ August 16, 2016
Again, another "classic" that doesn't really live up to the hype... nor the book. The book wasn't excellent, but at least it told a thorough story with fleshed out characters. The movie just doesn't capture the Magic the way it could have, even for its time.
August 10, 2016
Halloween is classic horror at it's best, but Frankenstein might need to be considered CLASSIC classic horror at it's best. I don't watch too many horror/thriller movies (especially late ones), but this one featured some sheer performances especially for its time. Lots of neat sets, settings, and effects with the windmill scene being one of my favorites. I half expected a little more extended ending, but it is all about that thrill anyway.
½ August 1, 2016
Very bad adaptation to the book
July 26, 2016
100% Phenomenal. G.R.E.A.T Picture.
½ July 2, 2016
Quite a remarkable film, still holds up as a powerful, disturbing, emotional, and surprisingly philosophical work of cinematic horror ? despite the intervening decades and innumerable parodies.
½ April 18, 2016
Universal's follow up to "Dracula" succeeds in every way that the former film failed. Where "Dracula" is stage bound and talky, "Frankenstein" is a lively, amusing and energetic film. Although Bela Lugosi declined the offer to play the monster, Boris Karloff is more than an adequate replacement. Every subsequent adaptation of "Frankenstein" has really been about Frankenstein himself. This adaptation seems to be more about the monster, and that's chiefly due to Karloff's sensitive and engaging performance, an incredible feat when you realize he has no dialogue and is acting behind a ton of makeup.
April 12, 2016
This Is My Favorite Film Adaptation Of Mary Shelley's Novel
April 5, 2016
One of the scariest movies ever. See it. It is a great film.
April 2, 2016
This is truly an awful movie. Just because it made significant steps for the genre doesn't make it good. It abuses the source material so badly that it should not even have the same name. This movie takes the deep themes from the novel and makes them look shallow.
I get that some changes have to be made such as having the monster walk slowly to build suspense. Why would they change Victor's name to Henry and give another random, flat, and useless character the name Victor? Why wasn't there a scene with the cottagers? Including a scene like this would be the perfect way to show the creature's humanity.
Why doesn't Frankenstein REALLY feel the guilt of the people the creature murdered? Why doesn't Frankenstein die and suffer the consequences of his actions? You think that getting thrown off of a 60 ft. windmill would be a perfect opportunity to have him die.
My biggest complaint about the movie is that the creature is never more than a creature. He's just a grumbling moron with an abnormal brain for the entire film. Even the famous scene with Maria just turns out to be very shallow and contradictory to the rest of the creature's actions. Why would the creature show humanity towards the innocent maria and not Elizabeth?
Anyone who thinks this movie is good or tries to justify why this movie isn't good because it "progressed the genre" is just being a film snob who goes along with what other "experts" are saying. Before getting upset and my rating, remember that "a dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it" (G.K. Chesterton).
March 4, 2016
The best Boris Karloff Horror Film of all time as the Monster.
½ March 2, 2016
Seems quite a mess by today's standards. But there's a lot of fun to be had.
½ December 4, 2015
-IGNORE THIS "OUT OF FIVE" RATING
Frankenstein
3.5/4
Intense, very scary story of mad doctor creating life with troubling results; he escapes as is announced a monster. Intelligent, ingeniously effective. Boris Karloff outstanding as the monster. If only it had a musical score. Sequel: BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN.
November 3, 2015
3 SPOOKY 5 ME I R8 5/5 M8 SPOOKIER THAN SPOOKY TOOTIN SKELETONS AND DAT BE SPOOKY!!!
½ November 1, 2015
The origin of every mad scientist and misunderstood creature for decades to follow. Excellent acting by Clive.
October 28, 2015
It was pretty good I guess, some parts really irked me though, and they weren't very believable, and it mostly has to do with that igor fella, who helps the doctor out, the only reason there's a story to tell in the first place is because he's incompetent, and theres a bunch of other plot holes. It all seems a little forced.
Other than that, I liked it.
October 25, 2015
Arguably the best universal monsters film Frankenstein creates an atmosphere that even to this day feels disturbing and was well ahead of it's time
½ September 13, 2015
The oft imitated Universal monster classic still is able to enthrall an audience all these years later despite the lack of real depth taken from Shelly's story. Karloff's iconic performance and costume is of course the focal point and transcends generations.
September 2, 2015
A masterpiece of horror on so many different levels,this was the original boogeyman movie.....brilliant.
August 29, 2015
Surprisingly dark for the time, but still a slick production - though somewhat bereft of a mid-section.
August 25, 2015
Surprisingly effective to this day. The film is poignant and dramatic more the scary, but is a great genre classic. James Whale was definitely a genius.