Frankenstein - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Frankenstein Reviews

½ January 8, 2017
One the greatest films ever made
January 5, 2017
Still a FANTASTIC Film! While maybe not the scariest film I've seen (back then it was!), but the film is well-acted, has a good story showing the monster is not really bad but just misunderstood, good pacing and is just a classic!
½ December 21, 2016
This 1931 version admittedly turns Mary Shelley's classic novel into a black & white B-movie, but it's a terrifying mad scientist horror story all the same.
December 9, 2016
Karloff's performance really gave this iconic monster true character. An instant classic! Mary Shelly would be proud!
November 15, 2016
what I love about this is he is supposed to be a monster but he really isn't. The scene where he comes across the girl you think " oh my god hes gonna kill her!" when you see him playing with her and throwing flowers in the water with her its heartwarming. This is someone who is misunderstood and feared for the way he looks and for wat he is. It speaks volumes about how people think and fear what they dont know. Very Powerful movie!
November 4, 2016
Much like many Universal monster movies, the classic Frankenstein has been able to realize the characters as original, albeit coming from Mary Shelley's more complicated novel. There is a great performance from Boris Karloff, who has no dialogue but is able to sell his portrayal of the creature with movement alone. Colin Clive as the ambitious scientist is just as great, moving from pride to shame as he realizes what he has created. The emotions these two characters convey contrast each other, but we see into their minds both alone and together. As a result, they seem the same. It raises a rhetorical question that no one knows the real answer: who is the real monster?
½ October 25, 2016
Iconic, entertaining and daring with great performances, even if quite dated.
Antonius Block
½ October 23, 2016
This classic has its place in film history, but both times I've watched it (separated by many years), I've struggled to stay interested. There are a couple of iconic moments, including the fast cut to tight shots on Boris Karloff as we first see Frankenstein's monster. However, after some great initial scenes in the graveyard, the direction by James Whale often takes us away from scenes of interest or tension, and doesn't delve deeply enough into the darkness of 'playing god'. Instead we get silliness, such as the assistant getting the jar marked 'Abnormal Brain'. This one hasn't aged well, and I would 1932's 'Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde' instead.
½ October 20, 2016
A real classic horror movie, Frankenstein is a masterpiece.
½ October 16, 2016
Masterful and still underseen
October 14, 2016
The movie that started the monster craze, Frankenstein shows the way of why no should play the role of God
October 10, 2016
10 out of 10:

Eerie, creepy, and filled with great cinematography, costumes and makeup, and performances, especially from the lead star, the turkey makes Frankenstein one of the greatest monster film of all time.
October 1, 2016
A classic. This movie has, and will go down in history forever! I love all the scenes in the movie. There isn't a single promlem with this. A perfection movie.
September 25, 2016
NOW, I KNOW HOW IT FEELS TO BE GOD!!
½ September 25, 2016
This is one of the original classic horror films which would have been more chilling in its day. Although it sometimes falters, Frankenstein still makes for interesting viewing, if not just to see the first depiction of the monster in real life. Considered one of the best movies of al time. 1001
½ September 22, 2016
Frankenstein is such a classic horror film that is instantly memorable and so influential. It is a bit too theatrical at times, but its characters are very well portrayed, the atmosphere is strongly conveyed and the visuals are just magnificent with awesome and instantly recognizable sets. It has an abundance of unforgettable sequences with the creation scene, the girl drowning and the final action sequence being the finest. It is a thoroughly enjoyable, phenomenally crafted film that is one of this genre's best.
September 19, 2016
A fantastic science horror classic that's almost completely timeless, but its potential is held up a little with its campiness.
September 8, 2016
It is barley watchable bad lighting bore bad sound horrid acting such a nasty film.