Monkey Business - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Monkey Business Reviews

½ September 1, 2017
The Marx Brothers allow their fluid chaos to infect a cruise ship (upon which they have stowed away). Unlike later features, there are no definable characters to speak of (no Rufus T. Firefly etc.) but instead Groucho, Harpo, Chico, and Zeppo running amok. They are chased everywhere by the Captain and First Officer (after being discovered in barrels, singing). They run into two mobsters having a feud and conveniently become bodyguards for both sides. Zeppo romances one mobster's daughter while Groucho has a playful relationship with the other mobster's wife (Thelma Todd). There are musical interludes (piano and harp, naturally). There is a Punch and Judy show that Harpo takes over. No real famous bits (that I was previously aware of) seem to have come from this film, their first written for the screen rather than adapted from a stage play. But their greatest hits were just about to happen (next up: Horse Feathers). Still, well worth a look!
½ August 14, 2015
With eliminated musical numbers and better pacing then it's predecessor, Monkey Business is pure lovable chaos.
July 17, 2015
The Marx Bros. first film would set the bar for their zany gags and dialogue quips, chases, and all the things we come to expect from a Marx Bros. film. I kind of zoned out near the end, but it had its moments.
October 28, 2014
Quick and funny, short but sweet, full of jokes and fun entertainment. One of my favorite Marx Bro's.
½ October 8, 2014
Chevalier will always be on my mind thanks to this.
March 24, 2014
The Four Marx Brothers return in this zany comedy that spends much of the first half on a boat rushing through jokes and bits, before landing in New York for another rush of jokes and some standard musical performances from Chico and Harpo. I really enjoyed the pace of this one, and while he is still out shined by his brothers, Zeppo has a bit more to do here than usual. A solid madcap marx comedy from their early days.
March 1, 2014
It had me laughing all the way through!
½ November 24, 2013
A fast paced film chock full of the boy's usual humour and music.
½ October 24, 2013
This was the first Marx Brothers movie that didn't start out as a stage play. It's also the first Marx Brothers movie made during the Great Depression. Since it was made as a movie there is more motion than the first two movies. It's also has one of the Marx Brothers in nearly every scene. There is no complicated back story and no long musical numbers. It's just the brothers stowing away on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean. During the trip they are hired as bodyguards for two rival gangsters. After they get to New York they go to one of the gangster's party for his daughter and they foil a kidnapping attempt of the daughter. After I got the DVD of this movie I realized I had seen it before on TV not to long ago. It was probably on one of the cable channels.
October 13, 2013
1933's Duck Soup Is My Favorite Comedy Film.
July 15, 2013
Absolutely hilarious! One of their best!
July 4, 2013
Much better than their first 2 efforts. Groucho must have had a team of writers at this point.
June 18, 2013
The Marx Brothers go from being simple stowaways on a boat to getting involved in a fight between two crooks. A delightful comedy, certainly among the best by the famous comedy themes, with its fair share of unforgettable one liners and gags, including the famous one where the four try to pose as Maurice Chivelier.
May 23, 2013
Starring the four Marx Brothers, the film opens with them stowing away aboard an ocean liner. As they try to avoid the crew, they cause trouble as always and then accidentally get involved with rival mobsters. When they finally get off the boat, they attend a party of one of the men.
However, during the festivities mixed with craziness, his beautiful daughter is kidnapped by the other gangsters. In the final showdown, the Brothers lend a hand and save the captive girl being help captive in a barn. Aside from the usual chaos, some notable scenes include the opening sequence, the Punch and Judy Show, the Maurice Chevalier scene, and of the course the barn sequence!
May 10, 2013
If you like the Vaudeville act and shticks, then please be my guest. Just not my cup of tea.
January 15, 2013
Marx Bros. classic is zany slapstick done right.
½ January 6, 2013
The four Marx Brothers (Groucho, Chico, Harpo, and Zeppo) star as four stowaways on a cruise ship who accidentally become bodyguards to opposing gangsters (Harry Briggs, Rockliffe Fellowes) and enter a relationship with each of their loved ones (Thelma Todd, Ruth Hall) in Monkey Business, one of the Marx Brothers' funniest pictures as well as their most underrated. The Marx Brothers are in peak form here doing what they do best: keeping the audience laughing all the way through. Monkey Business contains many of their greatest gags including Harpo hiding from the ship's crew by participating in a puppet show and all four Marx Brothers trying to impersonate Maurice Chevalier.
December 7, 2012
Would like to get round to watching.
November 30, 2012
The Marx Brothers dispense with plot almost completely and just run around a ship for an hour! Perhaps knowing that the story lines of the previous two films had dragged them down, this one has almost no story until the last 30 minutes. While that major change does lead to a funnier film, the entire thing ends up mattering much less.

And when I say no story, I mean no story. The movie starts with mention of four stowaways (guess who) and within 2 minutes the chase starts and doesn't stop until the 50 minute mark! It's as if the script consisted of one sentence, "Take this Three Stooges short and cast The Marx Brothers instead."

There is a brief attempt at a story towards the end, but nobody really cares. As a result, this movie, while very funny, still falls short of the upcoming string of masterpieces that each would wrap the brothers' jokes up in a matching story. You know, like a real movie!
½ November 24, 2012
Ocean, moonlight, the Marx Brothers, hilarity. A great mix. You can't make a mistake with the Marx Brothers.