Planet of the Apes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Planet of the Apes Reviews

December 2, 2016
A true classic. The original and best of the Apes film franchise. Linda Harrison is amazing.
November 20, 2016
Great film! Absolute classic. It is very dated but it is so interesting and the story will keep you hooked!
½ November 7, 2016
I wouldn't say that Planet of the Apes is the bullet-proof philosophical masterpiece everyone says it is. It gets many things right, but misses its redemption message by a longshot. Yet as simple entertainment for anyone who just wants to shut their brain off for two hours, this triumphs. The thrills never stop in this lonely environment that sets the feeling of danger right from the opening monologue. It is astonishing and discomforting to see humans being treated like wild animals in cages, and compelling to see how these men and apes interact with a complete role reversal.
October 30, 2016
Charlton Heston es uno de sus papeles mas notorios de su carrera, en una de las peliculas mas destacadas de los 60s. A destacar la memorable secuencia final.
October 19, 2016
As much a socio-political allegory as it is a sci-fi adventure, "Planet of the Apes" is one of those smart B-movies that's still relevant today.
September 19, 2016
It's hard to determine what makes a movie so good. Action, quotability, visually stunning? This movie has all of it. It's become a treasured piece of pop culture and cinema history and it is totally deserved. It's also an example of scifi at its best. It deals with themes such as; racism, classism, religious intolerance, war, animal rights, and science denial. Not bad for a film in which Charlton Heston yells at guys in monkey makeup.
August 28, 2016
Nothing compares to the original.
July 25, 2016
Planet of the Apes has the deepest depth of political and moral subtext a motion picture has ever achieved. It's just...excellent.
July 25, 2016
A pretty bad movie starting with the one-note acting from Charleton Heston and a lack of appeal from his character in general. The first half hour is slow and tries too hard to disorient the viewer and afterwards it just becomes repetitive before an awkward ending ensues.
July 24, 2016
The original is the best. love watching these originals as a little kid, still love watching them as an adult.
½ July 15, 2016
Una obra interesante de la ciencia ficción que resulta ser intrigante, creativa y emocionante.
½ June 16, 2016
The book was better.
June 3, 2016
A classic in every regard, Planet of the Apes' influence on the Science Fiction genre, movie marketing and promotional tie-ins, and its status as one of the pioneers of movie franchising through sequels remains today the de facto standard in how movies are made, marketed, and revisited. Featuring exceptional makeup, pacing, acting, storytelling, action, and commentary, Planet of the Apes is never a cinematic disappointment.
April 10, 2016
Rating: 81%
With special effects ahead of its time as well as memorable performances from the cast, Planet of the Apes is a thrilling and dramatic take on modern-day society.
½ March 30, 2016
What can be said about this that hasn't already been said? It's a classic for a reason.

What I will say is that, having seen some other Planet of the Apes movies, I went into this with low expectations. Firstly, I expected it to have dated badly, secondly, I expected it to just be kind of stupid, and thirdly, I thought that it would be quite boring too.

I turned out to be wrong about all of that (okay, the monkey outfits have dated a little bit, I admit)- this is just a top-notch sci-film that achieves the ultimate goal- to mirror today through the lens of a potential future.

The truly remarkable part is that this film (released in the 60s but based in the future) actually mirrors today (2016) as well as ever. There really is something timeless about the messages and themes found in this piece. On top of that, it's still just a plain good film- there's some good action and the time goes by smoothly.

The biggest obstacle that this film had for me was in trying to overcome how stupid I thought its premise was (really stupid). Having now seen just how committed those involved were to selling it and the reasons for going down that route, it is clear that I was wrong. This film isn't stupid, but missing out on it might just be.
½ March 19, 2016
I'm going to catch a lot of heat for this, I'm sure, because I know it is a beloved classic. I was genuinely surprised, because I love sci-fi movies, and even though I knew the twist ending I thought it would be very interesting. Instead, the entire experience of watching Planet of the Apes was frustrating. First of all the opening half hour is painfully slow, loaded with excessive exposition and tons of walking. I knew things would pick up because they hadn't run into an ape, so I hung in and waited. Once Heston is taken captive and we see the role reversal of man being experimented on while apes are in charge it felt like a decent episode of the Twilight Zone or something, and I was getting more interested. Then Charlton Heston begins to communicate with his captors and the movie really started to infuriate me. With zero subtlety, the film launches into a lesson on how religious people are either stupid drones who believe all the lies they are told, or evil zealots who create those lies and punish anyone who questions them. Those who believe in evolution and question the Bible are the kind, sweet, and gentle people. The entire second half of the film just keeps pounding this point into your brain, and it loses anything that might have been special because it's being so blatant about the agenda. It certainly doesn't help that I am a Christian and the movie was essentially making me and anyone like me into the bad guy. When the end came and that famous scene (which I have watched hundreds of times despite never seeing the film), I no longer cared about the character. I was checked out because the movie lost me in it's political and anti-religious agenda. I'm glad others can enjoy the movie and don't mind these issues I had with it, but I'll be happy to never watch Planet of the Apes again.
½ February 29, 2016
Very boring, pedestrian sci-fi 'classic'. Plays like a tedious Star Trek episode - and looks like one too, with poor sets and lighting, and a multitude of bad wigs. Charlton Heston gives a stilted toothy performance. Hard to believe this is from the director of Patton and Papillon, and the writer-creator of Twilight Zone. Even Jerry Goldsmith phones in his score.
½ February 20, 2016
Charleston Heston plays a scientist George Taylor who embarks on an expedition from Earth. The team crash lands on a new planet that appears to be inhibited by apes. The team struggles to survive as they are hunted, captured and treated like animals. Upon incarceration they are studied and treated harshly and his aggressive behavior to survive only enhances the apes belief that humans are savages. Planet of the Apes is provocative, original and it makes you think. It ages well as the movie does not rely on special effects, but in great costumes and original story. Planet of the Apes is clearly an all time classic.
February 5, 2016
I waited 48 years to watch this : it wasn't long enough. Low budget (I hope) tedious tat, with the usual appallingly wooden performance from Charlton "Mr NRA" Heston. Drivel.