Planet of the Apes Reviews

• 5d ago

Even with knowledge of the twist ending and haunting final shot, the rest of Planet of the Apes is still a classic in the realm of science-fiction cinema with great performances, memorable quotes, special effects that have aged surprisingly well and some riveting political and social commentary. The reboot trilogy's great and all but the original 1968 feature is also worth viewing in its own right.

• Oct 08, 2020

While the pace was rather plodding and talky, I thought the allegories to racism, hatred, division and the pitfalls of religion were absolutely fantastic. Charlton does an excellent job playing his part and the film score was almost as grandiose as I expected given how much praise it's received. I think a lot of the makeup budget went into sheer quantity instead of quality as the apes in Kubrick's 2001 were done better, as were the other special effects. The twist ending was truly a sight to behold and this having started a franchise makes perfect sense.

• Oct 03, 2020

A interesting Sci-Fi film, with Interesting Premises and Social Arguments. "Planet of the Apes" is an interesting tale with the effects and visuals to back it up. Not to forget an unforgettable twist for the masses.

• Jul 26, 2020

I mean it's awesome, watch it even if you already know the plot twist.

I mean it's awesome, watch it even if you already know the plot twist.

• Jul 21, 2020

Definitely a classic if you ask me. I believe everyone should watch this movie, and not just once. With each viewing, you notice something different. The storyline is very intriguing, the characters are well-developed, and all the practical effects still hold up! And don't let anyone spoil the movie for you. If you haven't seen it already, go watch it before it's too late!

• Jul 18, 2020

It has some interesting ideas but comes off a bit cheesy in practice.

It has some interesting ideas but comes off a bit cheesy in practice.

• Jul 06, 2020

This movie is simply a must see. Charlton Heston is simply perfect for the role of "Taylor". We all remember him from his earlier movies such as "Moses" from the Ten Commandments as well as "Ben-Hur" in the movie of the same name. This movie is a clear departure from this. Stress builds as he loses his ship, his crew and eventually is threatened with emasculation and experimental brain surgery (lobotomization). Without offering any spoilers, I simply say that this is one of those movies that you must see. It is the only one that I have felt a need to offer up my own thoughts on this website too. Academy Awards for makup (the first time this had ever been offered, even before it was an official Academy Awards category) as well as ground breaking music that is beyond avant guard.... Believe me, it will leave its imprint upon you. Thanks for reading.

• Jun 04, 2020

This film could have been a bad idea had it been written by or starred anyone else. But with Rod Serling as one of the scriptwriters and Charlton Heston as the lead, the foundation was set for a timeless sci-fi classic. The film, although somewhat dated now, still holds as a brilliant piece. For its time, the effects, including the ape costumes, are more than believable. And the twist at the end is now a thing of legend.

• May 24, 2020

There is no wonder Planet of the Apes has held up as long as it has. Featuring some insightful social commentary and some good performances, this sci-fi film manages to stay engaging without much action and some deep, intuitive discussions. The role reversal was fascinating and thought provoking. Very surprisingly good!

• May 17, 2020

No I wasn't near being alive when this movie came out but I still grew up watching it and I still love it to this day. The movie is based on a book and is one of the biggest movies from the 60s. This movie helped pave the way for sci fi movies. The movie came out in a time where out country hated others just because of their race. The movie softly plays on that aspect. As the Apes think they are greater then man. This is one of the best acted sci fi movies and has some really good dialogue that still can be meaning full. Any sci fi fan should check it out.