Rebecca - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rebecca Reviews

½ February 28, 2017
A dark mystery drama and early success for Alfred Hitchcock.
February 4, 2017
Brilliant. My favourite old film, definitely.
January 25, 2017
A masterpiece beyond any words.
January 21, 2017
This movie has been my favorite movie since I saw it as a kid in the 90's . The suspense and mystery of this movie is amazingly timless.
January 21, 2017
A young woman is in Monte Carlo, working as a ladies' companion, when she meets the recently-widowered, and very wealthy, Maxim De Winter. They fall in love and get married soon thereafter. The De Winters take up residence in Maxim's family estate, Manderley. Mrs De Winter finds it hard to fit in. The presence of Maxim's deceased wife, Rebecca, seems to permeate through the house and Mrs De Winter can't shake the feeling that she is constantly being compared to her and that she is an interloper. Mrs. Danvers, Rebecca's personal maid, also takes care to make things as uncomfortable as possible for the new Mrs De Winter. Mrs De Winter has the constant fear that memories of Rebecca will drive her and Maxim apart. Over time, she grows to know more and more about Rebecca...

Brilliant psychological drama, based on a Daphne Du Maurier novel and directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Carries all of the Hitchcock trademarks - the slow-burning intensity, the mystery, the psychological games, the twists and the powerful conclusion.

While the plot does develop slowly, especially in the early-to-middle section, this movie is by no means boring. More than engaging, it is a totally immersive experience. You see everything through Mrs De Winter's eyes, feeling her apprehension and fears and love for her husband.

At a point, the plot takes off and then we have intrigue upon intrigue, with some great revelations and twists along the way. Powerful, profound ending.

Excellent performances from Sir Laurence Olivier (though that's a given) and Joan Fontaine in the lead roles. Both received Oscar nominations, as did Judith Anderson for playing Mrs. Danvers. Hitchcock received his first (of five) Best Director Oscar nominations for this movie.

The movie itself won the 1941 Best Picture Oscar, beating out, amongst others, another masterpiece - The Grapes of Wrath.
January 18, 2017
Rebecca is a brilliant masterpiece from the legend Alfred Hitchcock, combining plot twists with great performances, delivered with his usual amount of suspense, only with a much better ending.
½ December 30, 2016
While it's story can be a tad predictable, Rebecca is a masterclass of thriller storytelling from the one and only Alfred Hitchcock. Not much to say other than it's an excellent, if overlooked film.
½ December 25, 2016
Rebecca isn't well paced, but it is such a strong mystery that is one of the finest ever put on screen. It isn't one of Hitchcock's best, but it comes close with top-notch performances, an unforgettable and creepy villain in Mrs. Danvers, very involving and well crafted plot and many memorable scenes that stay with you. It is also one of the finest looking black and white films thanks to some brilliant imagery, an even artistic look to it and amazing production design. Atmospheric and authentic, it is a thoroughly delightful gothic mystery.
December 21, 2016
Another classic novel told with visual gusto by Hitchcock and his fine cast. The only question is: What would the movie have been like if it used all the footage Hitchcock shot? On Blu-Ray.
December 4, 2016
This wouldn't usually appeal to me, but a Romantic Hitchcock should have you thinking that this isn't a typical love story. Not at the top of my favourite Hitchcock films, but certainly enjoyable
October 25, 2016
Regretfully, this film represents my first Hitchcock. I, of course, will not judge his whole career by this film along but I must say that I wasn't too impressed, given the name.

First of all, I was incredibly disappointed in the performance of Laurence Olivier - I know I know , it's a sin to say that but I thought that he over typified his character and made the man really placid and stale. I understand that he is supposed to be someone who lives in a placid and stale environment but the man himself is intended to be a pretty deep running character.

I enjoyed the performance of Joan Fontaine a little bit better but still, her character represented a pretty standard variation of acting - it gets the job done but it's pretty obvious acting.

The cinematography in the movie did well for itself at times, and really not well at other times so the film kind of balances out to give you a slight cinematic taste in your mouth.

Really the only thing that is particularly remarkable about this film is the double twist in the plot - which is the point in the movie where I started actually caring what was happening.

On its own, this movie wasn't bad - and in any case it was kind of enjoyable. But I do hope that it doesn't represent the majority of Hitchcock films.
½ September 28, 2016
You can see flashes of brilliance here and there, but overall this movie did not age well. Acting is bad, pacing is too slow and the story is just bland.
August 26, 2016
FANTASTIC!
I think Joan Fontaine was robbed for not getting the Academy Award for her performance. She's absolutely perfect as the adorable and completely insecure new Mrs. De Winter who lives in the first wife's shadow and "behaves like an upstairs maid" as her husband so aptly puts it. Olivier is handsome and mysterious. The scene stealer, though, is the head maid, creepy and bizarre. Beautiful, haunting and suspenseful, this movie doesn't disappoint.
August 25, 2016
This Hitchcock movie had me from start to end. It has it all - a psychological mystery thriller with romance, and secrets. Rebecca features a superb cast, cinematography and settings, and has plenty of twists and turns to keep the viewer wondering. My favourite film of 1940. AAW 1001
½ July 19, 2016
Felt a little too much like melodrama for me to care.
½ July 12, 2016
It's hard to imagine someone so naive, or perhaps simply tolerant, of such a crazy weirdo staff member. Else wise it's a great film, with some amazing practical and post effects for the period.
July 10, 2016
Three of the best plot twists in cinema history may just be found in one film - Alfred Hitchcock's Hollywood debut, a film built from beginning to end perfectly, keeping you suspicious but vulnerable until shit hits the fan.
½ June 1, 2016
It's lack of suspense is only filled by the deep story, and passionate performances from its stars.
April 12, 2016
The plot twists at the very end save this suffocating and old styled psychological mystery caper. For all the Hitchcock adorers I could say that he could have been a lot more progressive in a lot of ways from having more interesting editing, music score, outdoor action and overall format. The movie plays like any movie of that time, of course the plot is what makes Hitchcock's movies along with the psychological depth analysis of its characters especially women.
April 7, 2016
Romance turned drama turned thriller, now that's a masterpiece.