Rebecca - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rebecca Reviews

½ July 14, 2017
Taut and fluid, Rebecca was a way ahead of its time in all aspects, especially the direction, in which Alfred Hitchcock brings his own, inimitable style to some of the most ingenious material ever brought to the screen.
July 13, 2017
Earning Hitchcock his only Oscar this is a good movie with a particularly spooky and unnerving performance from Judith Anderson. Hitchcock made his American debut count with this film.
July 12, 2017
10 out of 10:

One of the creepiest movies ever, hands down. Rebecca also offers amazing acting, well shot cinematography, chilling score, and spectacular production design.
July 12, 2017
Hitchcock's first American film (and his only Best Picture winner), Rebecca is a masterpiece of haunting atmosphere, Gothic thrills, and gripping suspense The acting is uniformly excellent. Olivier is the hardened Maxim de Winter, untitled lord of Manderly, trying to forget the past and given to unexpected bouts of anger and coldheartedness. Fontaine is perfect as the unnamed mousy heroine, innocent yet deeply in love, still carrying with her the aura of an awkward schoolgirl. But it is Judith Anderson's role as Mrs. Danvers that viewers are likely to remember best. Her presence is as dark and foreboding as that of the deceased Rebecca herself, and Fontaine is evidently cowed by her icy stare and unnervingly formal manner. The dynamics between the two actresses are wonderful. In a line-up of great motion pictures, "Rebecca" stands as one of the giants. It is arguably Hitchcock's greatest film effort
May 26, 2017
Dark, Haunting, and just plain suspenseful, Alfred Hitchcock's Rebecca is full of drama from Joan Fontaine and Laurence Olivier
½ May 15, 2017
Hitch knew what he was doing very early. In fact, according to Brian DePalma he was never better than he was in this stage of his career. During these early flicks it is true, he establishes most of what made him such innovator in the realm of suspense. But I think he perfected them later. Still, this movie is really, really good.
April 15, 2017
It's gorgeously shot and excellently written. Rebecca remains to be Hitchcock's only Oscar winner for best picture and it deserves all the praise it continues to get. The story is eerie and thrillingly brilliant. The savviness of Hitchcock is executed through its actors and through the story which it tells. I can't praise Rebecca enough!
½ March 28, 2017
One of my favorite Hitchcock films. Joan Fontaine is wonderful as a naive young girl caught up in a families dark history. Very memorable, and I don't remember many old movies before I was born.
½ February 28, 2017
A dark mystery drama and early success for Alfred Hitchcock.
February 4, 2017
Brilliant. My favourite old film, definitely.
January 25, 2017
A masterpiece beyond any words.
January 21, 2017
This movie has been my favorite movie since I saw it as a kid in the 90's . The suspense and mystery of this movie is amazingly timless.
January 21, 2017
A young woman is in Monte Carlo, working as a ladies' companion, when she meets the recently-widowered, and very wealthy, Maxim De Winter. They fall in love and get married soon thereafter. The De Winters take up residence in Maxim's family estate, Manderley. Mrs De Winter finds it hard to fit in. The presence of Maxim's deceased wife, Rebecca, seems to permeate through the house and Mrs De Winter can't shake the feeling that she is constantly being compared to her and that she is an interloper. Mrs. Danvers, Rebecca's personal maid, also takes care to make things as uncomfortable as possible for the new Mrs De Winter. Mrs De Winter has the constant fear that memories of Rebecca will drive her and Maxim apart. Over time, she grows to know more and more about Rebecca...

Brilliant psychological drama, based on a Daphne Du Maurier novel and directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Carries all of the Hitchcock trademarks - the slow-burning intensity, the mystery, the psychological games, the twists and the powerful conclusion.

While the plot does develop slowly, especially in the early-to-middle section, this movie is by no means boring. More than engaging, it is a totally immersive experience. You see everything through Mrs De Winter's eyes, feeling her apprehension and fears and love for her husband.

At a point, the plot takes off and then we have intrigue upon intrigue, with some great revelations and twists along the way. Powerful, profound ending.

Excellent performances from Sir Laurence Olivier (though that's a given) and Joan Fontaine in the lead roles. Both received Oscar nominations, as did Judith Anderson for playing Mrs. Danvers. Hitchcock received his first (of five) Best Director Oscar nominations for this movie.

The movie itself won the 1941 Best Picture Oscar, beating out, amongst others, another masterpiece - The Grapes of Wrath.
January 18, 2017
Rebecca is a brilliant masterpiece from the legend Alfred Hitchcock, combining plot twists with great performances, delivered with his usual amount of suspense, only with a much better ending.
½ December 30, 2016
While it's story can be a tad predictable, Rebecca is a masterclass of thriller storytelling from the one and only Alfred Hitchcock. Not much to say other than it's an excellent, if overlooked film.
½ December 25, 2016
Rebecca isn't well paced, but it is such a strong mystery that is one of the finest ever put on screen. It isn't one of Hitchcock's best, but it comes close with top-notch performances, an unforgettable and creepy villain in Mrs. Danvers, very involving and well crafted plot and many memorable scenes that stay with you. It is also one of the finest looking black and white films thanks to some brilliant imagery, an even artistic look to it and amazing production design. Atmospheric and authentic, it is a thoroughly delightful gothic mystery.
December 21, 2016
Another classic novel told with visual gusto by Hitchcock and his fine cast. The only question is: What would the movie have been like if it used all the footage Hitchcock shot? On Blu-Ray.
December 4, 2016
This wouldn't usually appeal to me, but a Romantic Hitchcock should have you thinking that this isn't a typical love story. Not at the top of my favourite Hitchcock films, but certainly enjoyable
October 25, 2016
Regretfully, this film represents my first Hitchcock. I, of course, will not judge his whole career by this film along but I must say that I wasn't too impressed, given the name.

First of all, I was incredibly disappointed in the performance of Laurence Olivier - I know I know , it's a sin to say that but I thought that he over typified his character and made the man really placid and stale. I understand that he is supposed to be someone who lives in a placid and stale environment but the man himself is intended to be a pretty deep running character.

I enjoyed the performance of Joan Fontaine a little bit better but still, her character represented a pretty standard variation of acting - it gets the job done but it's pretty obvious acting.

The cinematography in the movie did well for itself at times, and really not well at other times so the film kind of balances out to give you a slight cinematic taste in your mouth.

Really the only thing that is particularly remarkable about this film is the double twist in the plot - which is the point in the movie where I started actually caring what was happening.

On its own, this movie wasn't bad - and in any case it was kind of enjoyable. But I do hope that it doesn't represent the majority of Hitchcock films.
½ September 28, 2016
You can see flashes of brilliance here and there, but overall this movie did not age well. Acting is bad, pacing is too slow and the story is just bland.