Sleeping Beauty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sleeping Beauty Reviews

January 18, 2017
Another Disney classic. The songs are excellent, the acting is top notch and the story is very simple and familiar, which is what makes it work. The film is very short, if you're anything like me, it'll feel like you just began watching the film once it's ended. And that's what makes it work. So many films around that time period enjoyed stretching the length out to its detriment, for example, the prince and the showgirl and it's a wonderful life. Those films spend too long being plotless, or simply having too thin of a plot to go on for more than an hour and a half. However, this film is very short, sweet and simple, and that's what makes it work. Another must see masterpiece from Walt Disney himself.
January 12, 2017
Animation is what Disney does best, and this old-fashioned fairy tale is proof of that.
December 23, 2016
The most expensive and ambitious Disney animation for the time it was conceived may be regarded by many as a classic with a unique art style, yet I still fail to see much past its impressive technical achievements and be so thrilled about it with regard to its conventional narrative.
September 4, 2016
Disney's most lavish animated feature, with amazing attention to detail and many very fun moments. Notable for the inclusion of Chuck Jones on the animation team, whose influence is evident. Essential viewing.
August 28, 2016
Forgettable, yet pretty. Not a good combination.
August 23, 2016
When comparing this movie to Cinderella, I like Sleeping Beauty slightly more than Cinderella. The three fairies and Maleficent are the best parts of the movie and the visuals look so good. Aurora is my least favorite Disney princess. I know her purpose in the movie was to be put to sleep by Maleficent's curse, but she still could have at least had some personality and development. Despite the flaw with Aurora, Sleeping Beauty is a good Disney film.
½ August 13, 2016
- Watched this with my 5yr old niece. Look amazing on Blu-ray, it's hard to believe it's over 55yrs old. The animation is stunning, the music is good, and the story movies along nicely. One of the best Disney films in my opinion. A must watch!

- Looks great on Blu-ray, this is one of the better Disney pictures in my opinion. The animation is outstanding, and it has a good story and strong music as well. This is a MUST for Disney fans!

- I was surprised how much I liked this one. I didn't remember it well from my childhood, but watching it again on DVD was great, the animation was outstanding! Disney really is doing a solid job taking care of and re-releasing their classics. All the DVD have excellent special features as well.
August 12, 2016
Another great addition to the Disney princess canon, Sleeping Beauty has a little bit of everything that a fairy-tale story needs to be a success. Though the story drags a bit at times, especially in the sequences involving the three fairies, the film features one of the most devious villains of all time, Maleficent, and one of the studios more robust heroes, Prince Philip. It's hard not to get invested in the story especially in one of the best finales of a Disney movie ever as the prince escapes the castle and defeats the fire-breathing dragon. Sleeping Beauty is the complete fantasy, with adventure and suspense and magic throughout. Maybe that's why it took them over 30 years to release another movie based on a "fairy-tale" with The Little Mermaid; it's hard to top this one.
August 7, 2016
The 1950's was definitely the definitive decade for Disney films, giving us many many beloved classics. Just at the end of that decade came a little film called "Sleeping Beauty," and what. Great way to end off that decade. This film, from it's beautiful tale, to it's fun and meaningful musical score and soundtrack is something that should be seen forever by children. This film teaches many lessons, while still holding that fairytale feel as well. This is not my favourite of the Classic Disney cartoons, but it ranks highly, as I was touched by many scenes. It is funny, charming, and heartwarming. "Sleeping Beauty" is a terrific film.
July 25, 2016
A timeless story and stunning animation combine to make the quintessential animated Disney film.
July 22, 2016
One of Disney's most seminal films, featuring one of the scariest villains of all.
June 27, 2016
Even when its secondary characters and animation are the stronger aspects, the lack of strong main characters isn't enough to remove the charm, magic and truly fantasy that remains in this Disney classic.
June 11, 2016
Ah yes, Sleeping Beauty, this could easy be one of my best Disney films of all time. After two Disney princesses like Snow White and Cinderella Disney wanted to make something so magical that Disney princesses come to life. The main characters are not all that enganging Princess Aurora and Prince Phillip but there still memorable. They don't even talk much, much like Nostalgia Critic said. I do know that Prince Phillip says his last line is ''Goodbye Father.'' The three good fairies are magical even the two kings King Stefan and King Hubert are a lot of fun too. My friends Liam Fleming and Jacob Dimmock and I were quoting the lines on the taxi years ago and it is a lot of fun. The songs I remember them all. I even remember Once upon a dream. Even the music in it once again is beautiful as well, you can't go wrong. The evil villian which is very menacing is Maleficent. She is one of Disney's baddies. The way she's animated, the way she gets angry, the way she changes into a dragon, she is definitely the one. The end scene is fantastic, I mean the fight scene and the end scene. The spindle which the princess is so heartbreaking and that makes the audience cry in tears and the three fairies put everyone to sleep until the princess awakes and that is Prrince Phillip give the princess the true loves first kiss. Everybody is happy because Princess Aurora is alive and the prince and the princess lived happily ever after.
May 30, 2016
One of my favourite Disney film. Hands down a masterpiece.
May 28, 2016
This movie is amazing! But, Aurora is not the hero, the fairies are!
May 16, 2016
it will be very nice if Netflix us get this movie on streaming I like this movie, :)
April 20, 2016
I adore the Disney Princesses and this film only further confirmed my adoration. It is classic Disney in its sweet innocence, magic, mayhem and of course, love. This is the stuff that has women in their 30s still waiting for Prince Charming. Well worth seeing.
½ March 23, 2016
Maleficent is brilliant and one of Disney's crowning villains
March 5, 2016
When I watched Sleeping Beauty as a kid I remember feeling thrilling emotions of spellbounded joy from the visuals and music, romance, humour from the amiable good witches, and dauntless fear from one of the most terrific villains of my childhood. I watch it now and i still become possessed by the art background details and the carefully directed dialogue. Though from being a kid to now I still do get disappointed from the lack of dialogue from the leading lady. Mary Costa's singing and voice adds sudden magic and weight to the character and like a dream its spellbounding but brief. After the scene with the prince, Aurora doesn't get to utter a single line again. Thanks to her enchanted sleep and the time period that this was made in that makes it more understandable. The character itself won't stand up to the much more feminist modernist heroines such as Repunzel, Mulan, and Belle, but thanks to impressive direction, colour, and sound, Sleeping Beauty will always remain a dream in an awakened world.
February 23, 2016
Bien qu'on y trouve des séquences furieusement magnifiques (hormis un ou deux plans rapides où les animateurs ont carrément oublié d'animer certains visages) et une méchante légendaire, La Belle au Bois Dormant souffre un peu de la comparaison avec les précédents fairy tales de chez Disney. Le doublage est vraiment réussi, les chansons sont très bonnes et le combat final efficace, mais malgré la durée de 75 minutes, on prend un peu trop de temps pour y arriver. Dommage.