Sleeping Beauty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sleeping Beauty Reviews

November 10, 2017
Ok just a little boring
November 5, 2017
Just a clone of snow white, this movie makes me mad that it succeeded.
½ October 21, 2017
Stunning animation, great music
October 17, 2017
Wasn't crazy about it but I didn't grow up with this movie.
½ September 28, 2017
Gorgeous and unique artwork
½ September 18, 2017
Not a lot of talking. Love this classic tale. Music is good.
September 8, 2017
Bam! Take a sword to a dragon's chest!
September 4, 2017
You know I watched this a long time ago and it was not the best fairy tale movie i have seen better
August 25, 2017
Well...I saw Maleficent. So I figured I might as well watch this one to settle the score. Sleeping Beauty isn't my favourite Walt Disney Animated Classic and I was left expecting something more. However, the film more than compensates with its humourous moments, meaningful soundtrack, beautiful animation for a film released around the end of the 1950's and heartwarming story that teaches a valuable lesson to children. Oh, and a menacing villain who's so menacing she's worthy of her own movi- oh. Well, I liked the Maleficent movie. A good Disney movie that'll keep children entertained and I don't mean simply the fairer sex. The finale was fun though. So while I'll probably see most of Disney's movies from their Golden Age as slightly inferior to the most of the Disney movies released during the Renaissance and Revival, I was still satisfied with what I got because of that sweet fairy-tale feel. If there's one thing this movie ain't, it's generic.
½ August 3, 2017
I never liked that much this story, and was strange that Aurora who's suposadly the main character only apears less than 20 minutes or so. Still the great animation and supporting characters and arguably the best Villian in Disney Movies made it enjoyable for all family.

|It's an 7,1 out of 10|
½ August 2, 2017
Very, very boring. The only thing entertaining was the grand villain maleficent.
½ August 1, 2017
Its okay. I have seen it a few years ago. Not my favorite.
July 12, 2017
When I was five years old, all I watched was this movie. All I would sing was "Once Upon a Dream", over and over. There was something about the classic fairytaleness that appealed to me. Sleeping Beauty is the perfect example of a fairytale. It has the heroic prince, the damsel in distress, the evil dragon, and a little bit of comedy with the help of three magical fairies who soften the curse upon the princess so she will wake up from true love's kiss, not die like Maleficent wanted her to. This movie is a royal masterpiece, and I enjoy it time and time again.
June 23, 2017
I still love all the classic Disney cartoons and think that everyone should show them to the children today as they have deeper meaning than the cartoon movies today. This movie still warms my heart some 30 years since I first watched it as a 7 year old. Of course I see it much differently now than through the eyes of a boy but the story of love and loss and good defeating evil is a positive message missed in today's world
½ June 21, 2017
Such a beautiful looking and sounding movie with lots of humor and one of the best villains in cinema history. This is Walt and Co. at their best.
June 2, 2017
*Sigh*, good ole technicolor, how I wish movies would still utilize it. This movie has some of the most striking and beautiful colors and images I've ever seen in a Disney movie. The soundtrack and music are just as amazing and the movie goes by so quick because the story is so good and the characters are so likable.

Gorgeous movie, I'll definitely watch it again.
May 2, 2017
I watched this when I was younger and I just thought it was a ok movie not the best but it is fairytale movie I did like the Prince Philip he was cool and funny I think
March 26, 2017
Non characters and thin plot with silly decisions really put a damper on this Disney flick. I also find it absurd that the three fairies say they don't have the power to take on Maleficent but have no trouble equipping the prince to do so instead. I also realize its Disney but falling in love in 5 minutes is... pushing it for me. At least Belle in Beauty and the Beast had a few days. I also find it odd that with all the power that Maleficent had she does nothing but curse the kings daughter and then sits on her butt for sixteen years. Or why she is cursing her to begin with other then being "evil". So i have to rate this as a mediocre Disney outing and not one of the better ones.
March 6, 2017
It begins promising enough by establishing its beautiful animation and its damning (and surprisingly interesting) villain Maleficent and it ends with an epic, albeit short climax.
As classic of a fairy tail as this film tries to be, its prince and princess are about as engaging as two wooden planks and it should have been re-titled as "The Three Good Fairies" because this film is really THEIR film. As a result, the entire middle act of this film is both dry and boring, but the aforementioned animation and Maleficent, along with the likable three good fairies, are all just enough to make "Sleeping Beauty" a film you only need to see once.
January 28, 2017
So the story of Sleeping Beauty is identical to some other Disney films like Snow White. The princess attracts the hatred and jealousy of a beautiful yet very evil witch, who then does everything she can to kill or curse the princess and ensure that her true love does not break her curse.

What makes this film stand out amongst all the films in the Disney canon is the artwork. The art comes from painter Eyvind Earle, and it is one of the most beautiful and unique art schemes I have seen in any movie. The character design and backgrounds are top of the line, and make it hard to forget this movie long after you've last seen it.

The climax is the other major selling point of Sleeping Beauty. The fight against Dragon Maleficent is one of the top climaxes in my book, and is the standard for any animated film's ending.

This is also a very rewatchable film. I've seen it a dozen times or more.

The story and narrative are good, but artistically, the film is a masterpiece, and it defines that word. The art and ending are tough to top. I know that the 1986 Walt Disney "Black Diamond" Classics VHS/Betamax tape had a Denver Post review on it, and the review called this film, "a medieval tapestry come to life". That is a very accurate description of Sleeping Beauty. A medieval tapestry coming to life before your eyes.