Sleeping Beauty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sleeping Beauty Reviews

½ August 3, 2017
I never liked that much this story, and was strange that Aurora who's suposadly the main character only apears less than 20 minutes or so. Still the great animation and supporting characters and arguably the best Villian in Disney Movies made it enjoyable for all family.

|It's an 7,1 out of 10|
½ August 2, 2017
Very, very boring. The only thing entertaining was the grand villain maleficent.
½ August 1, 2017
Its okay. I have seen it a few years ago. Not my favorite.
July 12, 2017
When I was five years old, all I watched was this movie. All I would sing was "Once Upon a Dream", over and over. There was something about the classic fairytaleness that appealed to me. Sleeping Beauty is the perfect example of a fairytale. It has the heroic prince, the damsel in distress, the evil dragon, and a little bit of comedy with the help of three magical fairies who soften the curse upon the princess so she will wake up from true love's kiss, not die like Maleficent wanted her to. This movie is a royal masterpiece, and I enjoy it time and time again.
June 23, 2017
I still love all the classic Disney cartoons and think that everyone should show them to the children today as they have deeper meaning than the cartoon movies today. This movie still warms my heart some 30 years since I first watched it as a 7 year old. Of course I see it much differently now than through the eyes of a boy but the story of love and loss and good defeating evil is a positive message missed in today's world
½ June 21, 2017
Such a beautiful looking and sounding movie with lots of humor and one of the best villains in cinema history. This is Walt and Co. at their best.
June 2, 2017
*Sigh*, good ole technicolor, how I wish movies would still utilize it. This movie has some of the most striking and beautiful colors and images I've ever seen in a Disney movie. The soundtrack and music are just as amazing and the movie goes by so quick because the story is so good and the characters are so likable.

Gorgeous movie, I'll definitely watch it again.
May 2, 2017
I watched this when I was younger and I just thought it was a ok movie not the best but it is fairytale movie I did like the Prince Philip he was cool and funny I think
March 26, 2017
Non characters and thin plot with silly decisions really put a damper on this Disney flick. I also find it absurd that the three fairies say they don't have the power to take on Maleficent but have no trouble equipping the prince to do so instead. I also realize its Disney but falling in love in 5 minutes is... pushing it for me. At least Belle in Beauty and the Beast had a few days. I also find it odd that with all the power that Maleficent had she does nothing but curse the kings daughter and then sits on her butt for sixteen years. Or why she is cursing her to begin with other then being "evil". So i have to rate this as a mediocre Disney outing and not one of the better ones.
March 6, 2017
It begins promising enough by establishing its beautiful animation and its damning (and surprisingly interesting) villain Maleficent and it ends with an epic, albeit short climax.
As classic of a fairy tail as this film tries to be, its prince and princess are about as engaging as two wooden planks and it should have been re-titled as "The Three Good Fairies" because this film is really THEIR film. As a result, the entire middle act of this film is both dry and boring, but the aforementioned animation and Maleficent, along with the likable three good fairies, are all just enough to make "Sleeping Beauty" a film you only need to see once.
January 28, 2017
So the story of Sleeping Beauty is identical to some other Disney films like Snow White. The princess attracts the hatred and jealousy of a beautiful yet very evil witch, who then does everything she can to kill or curse the princess and ensure that her true love does not break her curse.

What makes this film stand out amongst all the films in the Disney canon is the artwork. The art comes from painter Eyvind Earle, and it is one of the most beautiful and unique art schemes I have seen in any movie. The character design and backgrounds are top of the line, and make it hard to forget this movie long after you've last seen it.

The climax is the other major selling point of Sleeping Beauty. The fight against Dragon Maleficent is one of the top climaxes in my book, and is the standard for any animated film's ending.

This is also a very rewatchable film. I've seen it a dozen times or more.

The story and narrative are good, but artistically, the film is a masterpiece, and it defines that word. The art and ending are tough to top. I know that the 1986 Walt Disney "Black Diamond" Classics VHS/Betamax tape had a Denver Post review on it, and the review called this film, "a medieval tapestry come to life". That is a very accurate description of Sleeping Beauty. A medieval tapestry coming to life before your eyes.
January 18, 2017
Another Disney classic. The songs are excellent, the acting is top notch and the story is very simple and familiar, which is what makes it work. The film is very short, if you're anything like me, it'll feel like you just began watching the film once it's ended. And that's what makes it work. So many films around that time period enjoyed stretching the length out to its detriment, for example, the prince and the showgirl and it's a wonderful life. Those films spend too long being plotless, or simply having too thin of a plot to go on for more than an hour and a half. However, this film is very short, sweet and simple, and that's what makes it work. Another must see masterpiece from Walt Disney himself.
January 12, 2017
Animation is what Disney does best, and this old-fashioned fairy tale is proof of that.
December 23, 2016
The most expensive and ambitious Disney animation for the time it was conceived may be regarded by many as a classic with a unique art style, yet I still fail to see much past its impressive technical achievements and be so thrilled about it with regard to its conventional narrative.
September 4, 2016
Disney's most lavish animated feature, with amazing attention to detail and many very fun moments. Notable for the inclusion of Chuck Jones on the animation team, whose influence is evident. Essential viewing.
August 28, 2016
Forgettable, yet pretty. Not a good combination.
August 23, 2016
When comparing this movie to Cinderella, I like Sleeping Beauty slightly more than Cinderella. The three fairies and Maleficent are the best parts of the movie and the visuals look so good. Aurora is my least favorite Disney princess. I know her purpose in the movie was to be put to sleep by Maleficent's curse, but she still could have at least had some personality and development. Despite the flaw with Aurora, Sleeping Beauty is a good Disney film.
½ August 13, 2016
- Watched this with my 5yr old niece. Look amazing on Blu-ray, it's hard to believe it's over 55yrs old. The animation is stunning, the music is good, and the story movies along nicely. One of the best Disney films in my opinion. A must watch!

- Looks great on Blu-ray, this is one of the better Disney pictures in my opinion. The animation is outstanding, and it has a good story and strong music as well. This is a MUST for Disney fans!

- I was surprised how much I liked this one. I didn't remember it well from my childhood, but watching it again on DVD was great, the animation was outstanding! Disney really is doing a solid job taking care of and re-releasing their classics. All the DVD have excellent special features as well.
August 12, 2016
Another great addition to the Disney princess canon, Sleeping Beauty has a little bit of everything that a fairy-tale story needs to be a success. Though the story drags a bit at times, especially in the sequences involving the three fairies, the film features one of the most devious villains of all time, Maleficent, and one of the studios more robust heroes, Prince Philip. It's hard not to get invested in the story especially in one of the best finales of a Disney movie ever as the prince escapes the castle and defeats the fire-breathing dragon. Sleeping Beauty is the complete fantasy, with adventure and suspense and magic throughout. Maybe that's why it took them over 30 years to release another movie based on a "fairy-tale" with The Little Mermaid; it's hard to top this one.
August 7, 2016
The 1950's was definitely the definitive decade for Disney films, giving us many many beloved classics. Just at the end of that decade came a little film called "Sleeping Beauty," and what. Great way to end off that decade. This film, from it's beautiful tale, to it's fun and meaningful musical score and soundtrack is something that should be seen forever by children. This film teaches many lessons, while still holding that fairytale feel as well. This is not my favourite of the Classic Disney cartoons, but it ranks highly, as I was touched by many scenes. It is funny, charming, and heartwarming. "Sleeping Beauty" is a terrific film.