Sleeping Beauty Reviews

• Apr 30, 2019

The best animated musical movie ever made! With the best movie character ever portrayed: Eleanor Audley as the voice of Maleficent!

• Mar 14, 2019

Sleeping Beauty is beautiful, contains great characters, one of their best villains to date, and easily one of their best climax's.

• Feb 15, 2019

My goodness, the music is such a work of art. The original music the film is based is a classic, and it impresses me how well the wrote the lyrics to the original ballet. The singing voices to the song really fits and enhances the song too. Easily Maleficent is one of Disney's greatest, most iconic villains. The one element to her that I absolutely love is her design and the animation on her. Marc Davis, God bless you, the way you animated her subtle nature and movement really makes her come across as menacing. Plus, the animation on her as a dragon is even better to look at. I also thought it was very clever to have Eleanor Audley do another Disney Villain, and she works just as well if not better as Maleficent. For a budget of 6 million in 1959, holy Jesus was that A LOT of money(and years) put into the making of the film. While not on its original release quite literally, the film really pays off as it is a strong film. I always loved it when Disney would do something different with their animation style, and I don't think they have ever topped something as fresh looking and as different as Sleeping Beauty. How the characters interact with each other is, in my opinion, one of the strongest elements of the film. I like watching the two Kings work off each other, and the Fairies are hilarious to watch as they would go at it in competition with the dress color. How Maleficent simply watches Prince Phillip get surprised attack with an evil grin on her face really enhances the evil feel she posseses. Something about the book at the beginning and ending always seemed pleasantly yet creepily nostalgic to me, and the very ending with the book closing always stuck with me. Two of the best scenes of the film are where Phillip fights Maleficent and where Maleficent hypnotizes Princess Aurora to prick her finger. I also really liked the scene where King Hubert talks with Phillip about marrying the "peasant girl". That's really where the Prince's personality shines the most(even though, it's not very long) and the animation on King Hubert is delightfully funny to watch in reaction to what Phillip talks about. My God, the music that is played with the prescence of Maleficent is such an unmistakable, fascinating piece of music. It's that kind of music and instruments played that make you pray you would never have to hear it if it doesn't come from an audio player. I also appreciate the fact that the film does have a good sense of humor. The humors shines the most when it comes to the Fairies and the Kings. "Oh, it looks awful! That's because it's on you dear!" That is a line that always cracks me up. Like I said, King Hubert has some great comedic animation to him that I also love. The main leads are where the film falls down. While Disney never enhanced the main character's personality, they did with characters like Cinderella and Alice. Princess Aurora has barely any character to her, she does have emotional moments, but they just don't seem to click with me. I will give credit to Phillip in that he is better than the Prince in Snow White and Prince in Cinderella as he is a bit more comedic and animated more lively than they are. Yet, that isn't saying much as...well, he doesn't say much in the second half of the film. Which, I am cool with since he still got more lines than the other Princes, but it still doesn't do anything with his character. I feel the strongest elements of the film are with the wonderful score and songs(even though the Skumps song is kind of pointless), the unique and beautiful animation style, character interactions, Maleficent, and the climax. Not one of my favorites, but it's still a nostalgic classic to me. 3.5/4

• Feb 02, 2019

Dream Real. Live Real. Sleeping Beauty Disney has got all the reasons and recipe now, to make the ultimate childhood dream. This crisp clean environment served in this binary world is a provoking act that stabilizes the reputation of its banner, after a few mediocre fumbles. It has got everything, a beautiful princess, a young prince, spellbinding magic, blessings and curses ridden by a huge evil dragon; enough to endorse itself. The concept no matter how familiar- the good vs evil philosophy- works for bringing back the theme to mythological level and analysed in detail. The blessing and the curse that clashes horns on screen is scrutinized for their purity with one dimensional characters on both sides, that are amiable to this storytelling. The humor is left to the supporting cast as always, where the three maids does tickle you every time they fight for the color of dress or the method of preparations or coming up with banal ideas. This script feeds itself on supporting cast, no prince or princess will save the castle, these incredible helpers that usually are just giving them a head start has more three dimensional and deeper perspective than any other; they even share the screen the most. On technical aspects, there is no holding back, from songs to music, to visuals to choreography, every frame whispers the Disney-ness on screen. The antagonist, instead of glorified- literally to a scale of dragon- doesn't invest much in the narration, the conflicts and bickering of those maids along with their soft spot for our lead cast, is enough to keep the threat fresh and neat. The entire love and hate theme that it hangs on resembles a lot with Rowling's Harry Potter books. Sleeping Beauty is everything you're looking for, a rare Disney gem that lives up to the hype of the banner and the praises; even after ages.

• Oct 09, 2018

i love every disney film! so no questions asked

i love every disney film! so no questions asked

• Jul 27, 2018

I love this movie because it fun and romantic

I love this movie because it fun and romantic

• Jun 26, 2018

In my opinion Sleeping Beauty has always been near the top of the list when it comes to the classic Disney animated films. It has so many of the key elements that you want in one of these films. First of all, it has a couple of delightful songs. While there aren’t as many different tunes in Sleeping Beauty, they have two of the most memorable and catchy songs. Every time I watch this film or hear the songs “I Wonder” and “Once Upon a Dream” they are true earworms that stick in my head for days. (Just typing the titles now has me humming them in my head.) I would love if there was a bit more music in the movie, but they made a choice to limit the singing to the main beats of the romance, and I think that works. For the internal logic of this movie I guess only love can get you to a place where you burst out in song. The next piece that Sleeping Beauty gets right is the comedy. Most of this comes from the three fairies. I like the idea of these sweet little old ladies who just want to take care of the princess, but constantly butting heads with one another on how to do that. It doesn’t make all that much sense that after 16 years they haven’t grown accustomed to doing things without magic, but it’s not such a ridiculous idea that it annoys me. There’s also a little bit of comedy with the two kings who are trying to unite their children, and I would have enjoyed even more of that. But my biggest problem with the entire story is King Stefan. The idea of a father being so paranoid of a curse that he lets his daughter grow up completely separate from him and his entire family is mind-boggling. How do they even have a legitimate reunion at the end when they have been strangers for 16 years? While I did get some enjoyment out of Maleficent back in 2014, one of the things that I love about Sleeping Beauty is how irredeemably bad Maleficent is as a character. She is not only devilish and conniving, but also intimidating and scary. When she transforms into that dragon she might be one of the most deadly Disney villains of all time. I remember being scared in that moment when I saw this as a child, so it is handled well. The visuals of this film are beautiful, and also creepy in the case of our villainess. I love the use of color to differentiate scenes with Maleficent or scenes of joyous celebration, it all looks great. It’s probably a good thing that Sleeping Beauty is a short movie though, because they don’t have a ton of plot to it. Things click along at a good pace jumping from comedy to tragedy and back again without missing a beat. I quite like Sleeping Beauty and would watch it again any time, but it’s not at the top of my all-time favorites from Disney animation. Ranking on my Flickchart Wins against Mad Max: Fury Road Loses to Manhunter Loses to Anne of the Thousand Days Wins against X-Men Loses to The Artist Wins against Pulp Fiction Wins against The Absent-Minded Professor Wins against Amélie Wins against Brooklyn Wins against Being There Loses to The Artist Sleeping Beauty ranked 645 out of 1590

• Jun 12, 2018

Sleeping Beauty is Disney's best work of all time. The story gives us so many new perspectives and the animation is beautiful pushing style and movement to a whole new level, and with characters who make descisions that move the plot, this is just a masterpiece. The icing on the cake is the songs and boy are they outstanding. This movie is just perfection. A high recommendation for storytelling and for all those reasons, I believe Sleeping Beauty is a masterpiece.

• May 27, 2018

Now I remember when I was younger I would watch this time to time with my grandparents and it was nice to enjoy!

• May 23, 2018

This was the first Disney princess movie I watched, I was not very convinced when I went to see but ...... I loved it. Of course it's not the best movie ever, but it's good. Highly recommend (although there are better movies to see).