Sleeping Beauty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sleeping Beauty Reviews

March 26, 2017
Non characters and thin plot with silly decisions really put a damper on this Disney flick. I also find it absurd that the three fairies say they don't have the power to take on Maleficent but have no trouble equipping the prince to do so instead. I also realize its Disney but falling in love in 5 minutes is... pushing it for me. At least Belle in Beauty and the Beast had a few days. I also find it odd that with all the power that Maleficent had she does nothing but curse the kings daughter and then sits on her butt for sixteen years. Or why she is cursing her to begin with other then being "evil". So i have to rate this as a mediocre Disney outing and not one of the better ones.
March 6, 2017
It begins promising enough by establishing its beautiful animation and its damning (and surprisingly interesting) villain Maleficent and it ends with an epic, albeit short climax.
As classic of a fairy tail as this film tries to be, its prince and princess are about as engaging as two wooden planks and it should have been re-titled as "The Three Good Fairies" because this film is really THEIR film. As a result, the entire middle act of this film is both dry and boring, but the aforementioned animation and Maleficent, along with the likable three good fairies, are all just enough to make "Sleeping Beauty" a film you only need to see once.
January 28, 2017
So the story of Sleeping Beauty is identical to some other Disney films like Snow White. The princess attracts the hatred and jealousy of a beautiful yet very evil witch, who then does everything she can to kill or curse the princess and ensure that her true love does not break her curse.

What makes this film stand out amongst all the films in the Disney canon is the artwork. The art comes from painter Eyvind Earle, and it is one of the most beautiful and unique art schemes I have seen in any movie. The character design and backgrounds are top of the line, and make it hard to forget this movie long after you've last seen it.

The climax is the other major selling point of Sleeping Beauty. The fight against Dragon Maleficent is one of the top climaxes in my book, and is the standard for any animated film's ending.

This is also a very rewatchable film. I've seen it a dozen times or more.

The story and narrative are good, but artistically, the film is a masterpiece, and it defines that word. The art and ending are tough to top. I know that the 1986 Walt Disney "Black Diamond" Classics VHS/Betamax tape had a Denver Post review on it, and the review called this film, "a medieval tapestry come to life". That is a very accurate description of Sleeping Beauty. A medieval tapestry coming to life before your eyes.
January 18, 2017
Another Disney classic. The songs are excellent, the acting is top notch and the story is very simple and familiar, which is what makes it work. The film is very short, if you're anything like me, it'll feel like you just began watching the film once it's ended. And that's what makes it work. So many films around that time period enjoyed stretching the length out to its detriment, for example, the prince and the showgirl and it's a wonderful life. Those films spend too long being plotless, or simply having too thin of a plot to go on for more than an hour and a half. However, this film is very short, sweet and simple, and that's what makes it work. Another must see masterpiece from Walt Disney himself.
January 12, 2017
Animation is what Disney does best, and this old-fashioned fairy tale is proof of that.
December 23, 2016
The most expensive and ambitious Disney animation for the time it was conceived may be regarded by many as a classic with a unique art style, yet I still fail to see much past its impressive technical achievements and be so thrilled about it with regard to its conventional narrative.
September 4, 2016
Disney's most lavish animated feature, with amazing attention to detail and many very fun moments. Notable for the inclusion of Chuck Jones on the animation team, whose influence is evident. Essential viewing.
August 28, 2016
Forgettable, yet pretty. Not a good combination.
August 23, 2016
When comparing this movie to Cinderella, I like Sleeping Beauty slightly more than Cinderella. The three fairies and Maleficent are the best parts of the movie and the visuals look so good. Aurora is my least favorite Disney princess. I know her purpose in the movie was to be put to sleep by Maleficent's curse, but she still could have at least had some personality and development. Despite the flaw with Aurora, Sleeping Beauty is a good Disney film.
½ August 13, 2016
- Watched this with my 5yr old niece. Look amazing on Blu-ray, it's hard to believe it's over 55yrs old. The animation is stunning, the music is good, and the story movies along nicely. One of the best Disney films in my opinion. A must watch!

- Looks great on Blu-ray, this is one of the better Disney pictures in my opinion. The animation is outstanding, and it has a good story and strong music as well. This is a MUST for Disney fans!

- I was surprised how much I liked this one. I didn't remember it well from my childhood, but watching it again on DVD was great, the animation was outstanding! Disney really is doing a solid job taking care of and re-releasing their classics. All the DVD have excellent special features as well.
August 12, 2016
Another great addition to the Disney princess canon, Sleeping Beauty has a little bit of everything that a fairy-tale story needs to be a success. Though the story drags a bit at times, especially in the sequences involving the three fairies, the film features one of the most devious villains of all time, Maleficent, and one of the studios more robust heroes, Prince Philip. It's hard not to get invested in the story especially in one of the best finales of a Disney movie ever as the prince escapes the castle and defeats the fire-breathing dragon. Sleeping Beauty is the complete fantasy, with adventure and suspense and magic throughout. Maybe that's why it took them over 30 years to release another movie based on a "fairy-tale" with The Little Mermaid; it's hard to top this one.
August 7, 2016
The 1950's was definitely the definitive decade for Disney films, giving us many many beloved classics. Just at the end of that decade came a little film called "Sleeping Beauty," and what. Great way to end off that decade. This film, from it's beautiful tale, to it's fun and meaningful musical score and soundtrack is something that should be seen forever by children. This film teaches many lessons, while still holding that fairytale feel as well. This is not my favourite of the Classic Disney cartoons, but it ranks highly, as I was touched by many scenes. It is funny, charming, and heartwarming. "Sleeping Beauty" is a terrific film.
July 25, 2016
A timeless story and stunning animation combine to make the quintessential animated Disney film.
July 22, 2016
One of Disney's most seminal films, featuring one of the scariest villains of all.
June 27, 2016
Even when its secondary characters and animation are the stronger aspects, the lack of strong main characters isn't enough to remove the charm, magic and truly fantasy that remains in this Disney classic.
June 11, 2016
Ah yes, Sleeping Beauty, this could easy be one of my best Disney films of all time. After two Disney princesses like Snow White and Cinderella Disney wanted to make something so magical that Disney princesses come to life. The main characters are not all that enganging Princess Aurora and Prince Phillip but there still memorable. They don't even talk much, much like Nostalgia Critic said. I do know that Prince Phillip says his last line is ''Goodbye Father.'' The three good fairies are magical even the two kings King Stefan and King Hubert are a lot of fun too. My friends Liam Fleming and Jacob Dimmock and I were quoting the lines on the taxi years ago and it is a lot of fun. The songs I remember them all. I even remember Once upon a dream. Even the music in it once again is beautiful as well, you can't go wrong. The evil villian which is very menacing is Maleficent. She is one of Disney's baddies. The way she's animated, the way she gets angry, the way she changes into a dragon, she is definitely the one. The end scene is fantastic, I mean the fight scene and the end scene. The spindle which the princess is so heartbreaking and that makes the audience cry in tears and the three fairies put everyone to sleep until the princess awakes and that is Prrince Phillip give the princess the true loves first kiss. Everybody is happy because Princess Aurora is alive and the prince and the princess lived happily ever after.
May 30, 2016
One of my favourite Disney film. Hands down a masterpiece.
May 28, 2016
This movie is amazing! But, Aurora is not the hero, the fairies are!
May 16, 2016
it will be very nice if Netflix us get this movie on streaming I like this movie, :)
April 20, 2016
I adore the Disney Princesses and this film only further confirmed my adoration. It is classic Disney in its sweet innocence, magic, mayhem and of course, love. This is the stuff that has women in their 30s still waiting for Prince Charming. Well worth seeing.