The Thing from Another World Reviews

• Apr 19, 2020

The original and in some ways still the best. Great acting and effects for its time.

• Mar 22, 2020

A sharp, wry, and tense script, plus a lean and believable production design makes this one a keeper.

• Jan 15, 2020

It was a piece of crap, which is normal for the B-Movies from that era. It boggles my mind how there are people who actually think this is a good movie. Well, there's no accounting for bad taste.

• Jan 12, 2020

This is one of my favorite sci-fi movies of all time. The atmospherics, dialogue, pacing and the plot concept are all just really engaging. The chemistry between the actors is great, and when viewed in the context of its time it's just amazing how far ahead of its contemporaries it was. Yet, it is still relevant and entertaining today.

• Jan 05, 2020

I was most surprised that I didn't like this movie. Scenery aside, the characters will talk you and themselves to death. There's rarely less than 10 in a room, all talking over each other and with barely a worthy line. I rarely would go for a remake but stick with John Carpenter every time.

• Jan 02, 2020

Remember seeing this many times on TV when I was growing up. Still look for it on TV. Need more movies like this today.

• Nov 13, 2019

I watched the remake ver first, so i was astonished to know that "the thing" in this movie is a plant alien which drinks blood. I like the scene when people find the space craft (at this scene, the mosic starts). I like the mad scientist. リメイク版と違ってびっくりしたけど、原作小説に近いのはリメイク版らしい。SFに出てくるマッドサイエンティストすき。

• Nov 09, 2019

Outstanding example of the horror genre.

Outstanding example of the horror genre.

• Oct 12, 2019

Like most Hawks productions, the large cast is full of quick witted, more-than-capable characters who don't so much evolve over the course of the film as they do respond like clockwork to the events, less romantic heroes than a sociological look at scientifically minded humans at their best. While obviously this version pales in comparison to its remake, there's enough unabashed weirdness and creativity on display—my favorite line: "An intellectual carrot; the mind boggles."—to make the thing into a real treat, if not quite up to the special effects tricks of Carpenter's THING.

• Oct 05, 2019

Great sci-fy, good cast, suspenseful and fast moving.

Great sci-fy, good cast, suspenseful and fast moving.