The Thing from Another World Reviews

• May 31, 2021

It was fun to watch, and a classic. The Thing was clearly James Arness, despite the low light and make-up.

Alec B Super Reviewer
    Mar 11, 2021

What the movie captures so well is how quickly chaos erupts, especially when people are terrified. No wonder this traumatized so many in their childhoods.

• Nov 02, 2020

The Thing From Another World will inevitably be compared to John Carpenter's 1982 remake, which may be a bit unfair considering the difference thirty years can make when it comes to technological advancements and audience sensibilities. Regardless, the Carpenter version is superior in all respects. In the original, which was probably pretty frightening in its day, any attempt at suspense is foiled by the characters who, despite the imminent threat, don't seem overly concerned by the killing machine in their midst as they joke amongst themselves and worry about the next cup of coffee. In addition, the monster looks suspiciously like a human being with gnarly, arthritic-looking fingers, much like my grandmother's. It's passable entertainment, but pales in comparison to Carpenter's horrifying remake.

• Oct 31, 2020

My parents took me to the theater to see it in 51. My Dad often reminded me that he missed lots of it cuz he had to keep walking me to the bathroom. I always thot it was just titled THE THING, and that's the way it is on RT when i search for The Thing From Another World. Forget JAMES ARNESS as the Thing. Who can ever forget Robert CORNthwait, & Dewey Martin as Crew Chief Bob. And the takeaway is the suicidal naivete of the SCIENTIST who died cuz of his misplaced belief that "WE CAN REASON with it." See... you can't always "BELIEVE THE SCIENTISTS".

• Oct 13, 2020

The Thing (From Another World) is an entertaining, cheesy, 50's B movie. John Carpenter's The Thing is leagues ahead of this original

• Oct 05, 2020

Rightly a classic monster movie from the Fifties. Builds amazing tension at a polar military base where a flying saucer has landed and unleashed a mysterious and seemingly unstoppable alien. Great all around.

• Jul 21, 2020

Still a lot of fun today.

Still a lot of fun today.

• Apr 19, 2020

The original and in some ways still the best. Great acting and effects for its time.

• Mar 22, 2020

A sharp, wry, and tense script, plus a lean and believable production design makes this one a keeper.

• Jan 15, 2020

It was a piece of crap, which is normal for the B-Movies from that era. It boggles my mind how there are people who actually think this is a good movie. Well, there's no accounting for bad taste.