Lone Star Reviews

• Oct 04, 2019

Nobody paid any attention to the real history. This movie struggles to retain its B-grade movie status by involving histrionics of all kinds. The script itself is a mess and its a wonder anyone signed on to do this.

• Mar 05, 2015

Clark Gable leads a cast including Ava Gardner and Broderick Crawford, in this political-western. Texas is a free state, the United States sends Clark Gables character out to Houston to welcome Texas in the union, while they fear annexation- Gable and Crawfords character fall into a romantic relationship. Very talkative western that may go down better for fans of Clark Gable. I can only see one scene with Gable and that's Gone With the Wind. A couple gun shots and horse chases and good one liners "I'm a man with a gun, and I'm calling you a liar!" For any action-type westerners you may want to look for something with less jibba-jabba and more Leone. A generic Western, squeaky clean with it's violence, if any and always ends in love and happily-ever-after. "Geronimo, my saddle-bags."

• Dec 31, 2014

Talky western about a group of Texans debating feuding over whether they want to become a state or remain independent. Clark Gable leads the good guy who are fighting budgie Broderick Crawford. There are a few rousing action sequences, but it's not quite enough to make this much of a memorable western. The film also features Ava Gardner, Lionel Barrymore and Ed Begley. But full disclosure, I'm not a Gable fan, so maybe fans of his would like this film better.

• Nov 29, 2014

141229: Really enjoyed the Gable & Crawford paring. Just a neat film with great acting. Not sure how historically correct it was, but it was interesting to me in that regards anyway. After a bit of research I found out that, coincidently, I watched this film the same Texas was admitted into the United States in 1845.

• May 23, 2012

gable & gardner=good lusty western

gable & gardner=good lusty western

• Dec 06, 2010

Lone Star (1952) No, this isn't the John Sayles murder mystery from 1996. This is a strange B-western set just after Sam Houston's victory at San Jacinto. The war with Mexico is over and Houston (Moroni Olsen) is tired of the U.S. debating over whether to let Texas enter into statehood as yet another slave state. Mexico has stated if they join the U.S. that the peace treaty is off the table. So further war with Mexico is imminent, and U.S. troops will be needed to continue the fight almost instantly. An aging Andrew Jackson (Lionel Barrymore) has assigned Devereaux Burke (Clark Gable) to ride down to the Texas Republic to see what the political feelings really are about them joining the United States. Thomas Craden (Broderick Crawford) is for staying a republic and thinks that Texas can expand their republic to include California, Nevada, Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico territories to become almost as big as the U.S. Naturally, Thomas feels that he can be the future president of this new republic. He knows that Devereaux is coming to Texas and he and his men want to stop him before he tries to influence the Texans into going with the statehood idea. Martha Ronda (Ava Gardner) is a woman who owns a local newspaper and is in Craden's court (and possibly even more) until she meets Devereaux. She doesn't trust him, but is still willing to hear his side of the story. I'm not sure how fast and loose this movie is playing with historical accuracy, but as a nice little 50's western, it's not bad. This is not on TV very often so if you get an opportunity to see it, go for it.

• Sep 11, 2009

A realistic and amusing Portrait of the Tide of Events who lead to the Texan Accession to the United States of America and the American-Mexican War great Battles between the Texan and the Comanche, the Pro Autonom Texas and the Pro USA Texans and the Americans and the Mexicans

• Aug 23, 2009

The MGM production gloss is in full swing here and Clark Gable and Broderick Crawfor are the manly men doing' their thing. Ava Gardner is the love interest and she's less cocky and obnoxious than usual; Lionel Barrymore chews the scenery as Andrew Jackson in his own inimitable way. The close in battle with the Indians that Gable and Crawford have near the beginning is intense. The chase along the river and the final battle and duke-out between you know who is all pretty slam-bang as well. Okay. this is not history that I've ever heard of but it's great frontier stuff that should be entertaining.

• Jul 31, 2009

Wanna see Broderick Crawford phone it in? Then here's your movie. But besides that, everyone else was good, the movie makes for an interesting text, and the cinematography has its shining moments.

• Aug 25, 2008

Great fight scene at the end. Sexy cowboy Clarke Gable throughout!!

Great fight scene at the end. Sexy cowboy Clarke Gable throughout!!