The Skin Game - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Skin Game Reviews

½ May 16, 2016
One of the weaker Hitchcock films.
February 20, 2016
After a couple of missteps in theatrical adaptations Hitchcock proves he can indeed adapt plays to talkies and still maintain a strong sense of their roots. The result is a powerful story with fine performances and steady, restrained direction.
½ July 2, 2015
Dull beyond belief...
April 28, 2015
This is one of Hitchcock's early social dramas that lacks his usual dramatic eye and tension. The last 10 minutes are worthwhile, but the rest is very sluggish.
½ September 20, 2014
Les premiers parlants d'Hitchcock s'apparentaient plus à du théâtre filmé qu'à du cinéma pur et dur. Malheureusement, The Skin Game n'est pas une exception, avec sa réalisation académique et ses acteurs qui surjouent des situations dont on finit par se foutre totalement. C'est dommage car le sujet était plutôt intéressant et le texte de la pièce bien écrit. Mais la grammaire cinématographique de l'époque a bien mal vieilli, tout comme ce Skin Game, qui n'a rien d'indispensable, même pour les fans d'Hitchcock.
March 2, 2014
Ruling class wars in a micro situation. This is a drama in the main with ideological undertones as a theme. It's fairly early as talkies go and it's not quite a polished as some of Hitchcock's later work, and a couple of earlier pieces for that matter, but it's not uninteresting.
½ February 18, 2014
It gets pretty dull and forgettable. The Hitchcock name can't even help this one. The characters are bleak and stale and the plot is rather bland. It doesn't have a very solid ending either.
½ September 22, 2013
How much do past mistakes really matter? That was my big question when you had so much on the line in the business, personal and society obligations in this film. Would I have sold out to save the face of my family? I guess that is why hitch made this, because of the dilemma involved. But it also reminds us to be honest in all our dealings to prevent the lies from coming back to haunt us.
October 2, 2012
My favourite scene from this film is the auction. From there onwards I struggled to maintain my interest. A very talky talkie.
May 26, 2012
An early effort from Hitchcock, "The Skin Game" is a drama that deals with the snobbish ideals of the aristocracy and wasn't very successful due probably somewhat to this fact. The film has several characters who are all quite hard to identify as either the "good or bad" character as they all have their own issues and all do questionable things throughout the film. While this is a rather slow and uninspiring affair that only has trace amounts of Hitchcock's genius in it, such as the auction scene that would be utilized in "North by Northwest" later on. A whole lot of talking and threats with no actions followed through with is what overall hinders the film and renders it rather low in Hitchcock's immense and way more impressive catalog of films he would go on to direct. I'd recommend this only for Hitchcock fans that want to view all of his work.
½ February 23, 2012
The Skin Game tells the story of an ideological battle which is waged between two very different familes over a piece of land in the British countryside. The Hornblowers, a wealthy family, has just purchased a large amount of the countryside and has begun to industrialize the area. This doesn't sit well with the Hillcrests, local squires who are disgusted by the Hornblowers greedy ways and vow to stop them from taking the land. An early Hitchcock film that is very different from most of his output, the Skin Game presents a story that has no protagonists or antagonists but rather is tale of morality. The Hornblowers brashness is counteracted by the Hillcrest's entitlement and snobbery with both families doing whatever it takes to win. The Hornblowers seem to represent the modern times and industrial age while the Hillcrest represent a more old-school, ancestral philosophy over their land. The film is dialogue heavy and except for a few small scene, doesn't feature many of the trademarks that would later become associated with Hitchcock. There is one scene near the very end of the film which perfectly captures the entire film, as these old men fight, the young suffer. This is quite a powerful film about how one's Will and Greed can blind individuals and cause them to destroy something far more important than what they initially were fighting for. Obviously, I am being vague cause I don't want to give anything away. I'm really quite surprised this film doesn't receive more praise as it's well put together, though-provoking and features a rather powerful emotional ending. "What's gentility worth? If you can't stand the fire."
January 12, 2012
Starting to realise that hitch really didn't like women so much.
½ December 24, 2011
An interesting early flick from Hitch about two warring families who lose all perspective about what they are fighting for and how to keep their own morals. The film is certainly rough in spots and not horribly exciting but the overall work is entertaining with occasional Hitchcock flourishes that tease of things yet to come.
One big highlight though is the auction scene with drips with suspense and is second only to Hitchcock doing another auction year later in North By Northwest.
August 25, 2011
The story is good, but the stagey approach and slow pace kill interest.
½ July 18, 2011
Really good. This is good early Hitchcock, and the story is tragic and rivetingly told, a tale of genteel old Britain struggling in the face of modernization, but at the cost of its honor and dignity. Entertaining!
May 5, 2011
No matter what it says on his profile, this is NOT the Skin Game film that stars James Garner!
½ May 1, 2011
Note: Flixster has the wrong trailer on "The Skin Game" and "The 39 Steps".
December 31, 2010
A weak early talike from the great master ,which i have had trouble trying to view in the past. Now that ive finaly seen this film, turns out i wasn't missing out on much. Decent acting, ok script, but at least hitchock was expermienting with camera pans in this film. its quite passble 6/10
October 17, 2010
The beginning is slow, but I found the latter portions pretty engaging, mostly because of Edmund Gwenn's fervent performance. Phyllis Konstam, who plays the lady with a past, also delivers a good performance, as she nicely avoids the false hysterics that plague a lot of female performances from the 1930s. The POV camerawork during the auction scene is also memorable.
October 12, 2010