The Rock - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Rock Reviews

September 12, 2017
Good film, good plot and good acting. But that's as good as it gets..."good". Nicolas Cages character goes from scientist to gun wielding maniac within an hour and half. Sean Connery however keeps the film alive with a mix of comedy and tough fighting scenes.
September 11, 2017
The plot is thinner than someone with anorexia, and the dialogue has more cheese than the state of Wisconsin, but The Rock is arguably Michael Bay's best film to date. The action is surprisingly well-edited and easy to follow, and Bay is equally surprisingly restrained when it comes to his three favorite things; product placement, American flags, and explosions. Nicholas Cage's performance is just overacted enough to be good, but not so much that it's bad. Sean Connery and Ed Harris also give strong performances. All in all, The Rock is a fantastic action film that you don't have to think about to enjoy.
September 1, 2017
Micheal Bay's style of action is present, only this time around a strong plot, a brilliant cast and an amazing Zimmer score are there to bolster it.
August 18, 2017
I was pleasantly surprised by how such an old movie manages to captivate and thrill past its time. I never saw this back when it came out, but I'd have to say that unlike most of the Simpson, Bruckheimer, and Bay material we see anymore, this was actually pretty well done. Not that it really strains the brain, plot points are usually pretty evident long before they take place, and there are some albeit few really cheesy or quite unrealistic scenes and gags, the movie well makes up for these few drawbacks with its payout. The music, the story, the cinematography: all of them are really top notch. And then there's the star-power: normally I wouldn't and couldn't give a rat's fugly little arse, but it makes this movie shine pretty bright. It really just clicks that well.
July 24, 2017
Zemecks is at his best here with a small budget character driven hybrid of melodramatic drama and horror with perfect results. Headlines by Streep, Hawn and Willis who are all wonderfully brilliant, especially the latter who hasn't eclipsed this performance since. The script is so razor sharp and never once stops being both self aware and hilarious throughout.
½ June 25, 2017
'THE ROCK' was directed by Michael Bay, and stars Nicholas Cage, Sean Connery and Ed Harris. ?When ex US General Frank Hammel(Ed Harris) threatens to launch chemical weapons against San Fransisco from Alcatraz, the US government send in Stanley Goodspead(Nicholas Cage), a biochemist, and John Mason(Sean Connery), the only man to ever escape Alcatraz alive, to combat the general and save the city from annihilation.

This is the best action movie with mediocre action. It's endlessly quotable(I found that out the hard way) and succeeds purely because of its talented cast of actors and Bay's solid direction(blasphemy, I know). Mason and Goodspeed are the driving force of this movie and elevate it from average at best, to freaking awesome. The action is passable and will please the majority of audiences but that isn't the reason to see the movie.

A sentence I never figured I'd have to say when referring a Michael Bay movie is 'The story for this film is well written, concise and provides clear motivations for all its characters'. The premise of setting a movie like this on Alcatraz is genius and Bay builds a genuinely good story around that. There is a first time for everything, and this was apparently also his last.

Nicholas Cage is both the best and worst actor in existence simultaneously. He's mental but mental in a way were he's not annoying like Travolta and not intentionally funny like Carrey. He's Nicholas Cage and no one can take that away from him, and that is the reason he was great in this movie as a man pushed to the brink of his sanity. Sean Connery(you just read that in his voice) clearly uses his period as Bond to sell the character of John Mason and anyone that says Mason is anything less than a freaking bad ass is kidding themselves. Ed Harris was brilliant as General Hummel and provided a layered, interesting performance. Hummel was smart, interesting and intimidating, and made a great adversary for the two leads. My main issue with the movie is an aspect of the villain. I won't spoil as to what but I figured it best to mention it, even if you don't know specifically why.

The effects in this movie are atrocious but I cannot blame them for that and don't hold it against them. John Schwartzmen shoots the movie very well and the movie was also very well lit. I have issues with some of the editing but not to the point were it actively annoyed me throughout the run time. Both the set design and the costume design were pretty bland. Setting the movie on Alcatraz was genius but I feel they could have done more with the sets.

The action is this movie is fine. The comedy is fine. The dialogue is good. The characters are fantastic and amazing and incredible and are the main reason I recommend you see this movie. They are all so likable and elevate the movie from good to great and for that I congratulate them. I highly recommend this movie, and I'll rate it 9 Concerned Hairdressers out of 10.
June 14, 2017
Secondo film per Michael Bay, ancora nella sua fase di sperimentazione, quando il suo stile era ancora acerbo e non del tutto delineato. "The Rock" è stato un buon film d'azione, ricco di scene interessanti, con un antagonista molto moderno, condivisibile e vulnerabile. Il tutto è sorretto da una sceneggiatura che, stranamente, riesce a funzionare, tranne sporadiche inesattezze che non ne scalfiscono però la qualità generale. Se devo trovare un difetto è la convenzionalità del film: forse per dare un giudizio simile dovrei averlo visto appena uscito nel 1996, ma rivederlo adesso mi sembra tutto materiale già visto e rivisto. Nonostante questo, conferma il talento indiscutibile di un regista molto discusso, quando ancora era in grado di scegliere sceneggiature perlomeno dignitose.
½ April 25, 2017
Oh so cheesy but fun action romp.
April 25, 2017
An all out guns blazing, action packed extravaganza!
½ April 12, 2017
When hidden systems are in place when we see they need to be in place when we need to see the worse ever happening to be prepared for. When we see the system fails us when those whom we select to protect us see us as the enemy when the system fails them. When once sworn to serve, we see our vary own let those down that we change sides and become enemies. When the system doesn't keep an eye of all whom they see is honored to serve us we do see that they failed those whom we once relied on. When all we wish to see is what we deserve yo take it by force, when being a Patriot in the same country we wish to serve we know more then any other Patriot or American that we know all of ins and outs this country has to offer but other things we have no access to change some outcomes from happening.

When we see that there are contingency plans in place for some outcomes, that we haven't thought through but could work to outsource our service to those unseen and unnoticeable that our system creates those whom are in and out hidden and seen under a greater systems eye.

When we are asked for loyalty to serve a higher power whom we see and can not see when we put them under watchful eye hidden that we know we see would cost us a lot. When we see the the world's greatest power and wealthiest asked us to serve them we see our services don't come cheap. When we see that their are lives at stake, to see to their safety.

When somethings we don't see that we think we see, we just know why we see it that way when governments have other plans when safeguarding and protecting somethings that we make room for other things to save money, good eyes & resources on the ground.

When we see such measures are in place but if they fall into wrong hands, turn against us, or become devided into what they see is right, we can compromise this country and what it stands for when it gets out. When we don't see what secrets our great powers keep from us when they are hidden, waiting to be unearthed when time comes.
March 28, 2017
Love this movie!? San Francisco The Rock/alacratraz! Love this movie! A bit sad. A classic!!!!!!!!!!?
March 28, 2017
One of the best popcorn flicks ever made. The pinnacle of Cage's style of eccentric acting mixed with Bayhem and one-liners.
March 20, 2017
Not a Michael Bay fan, but I like this film. It's one of the better action film of the past fifteen years.
March 1, 2017
Rating: 76%
Though it lacks a considerable amount of substance compared to other action films, The Rock is still a suitably explosive and fun thriller that will keep most audiences engaged.
February 21, 2017
Grade - C
Whilst 'The Rock' may have some good action scenes (and some not so good ones) and an excellent score, it suffers with story, characters, logic and just about everything else. The acting is passable, but unless you find yourself enjoying non-stop, no stakes action, then I'd recommend skipping this one.
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 15, 2017
Classic action movie.:)
January 2, 2017
It was a solid action movie. The plot was interesting and it moved at a quick pace. Had a great cast of characters and actors.
½ January 1, 2017
The Rock is good old-fashioned cornball action at its best.
½ December 22, 2016
Absurd and utterly pointless, "The Rock" has a lot of testosterone, but too little intelligence to hold my interest.