The Rock - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Rock Reviews

May 31, 2018
10/10, best movie ever (even with Nicolas Cage, yes)
May 22, 2018
beastly movie. entertaining action flick. has flaws and things you can question, and some outdated moments but overall it still felt new. AMAZING musical score, good acting, awesome premise. The action itself actually wasn't done that well at times, some use of quick cuts and shaky cam. regardless, i enjoy this movie a LOT. it is a borderline classic for me in the action genre. one of the best parts about this movie are the characters. connery is a beast and hilarious, and harris is one of my favorite villains, one you surprisingly find yourself rooting for sometimes (about 5 viewings)
½ April 13, 2018
fast-paced, chaotic action thriller with brilliant chemistry between cage, connery and harris. bay's stylised visual style works until the script runs out of brains in the second half.
½ March 9, 2018
A guilty pleasure. Balls out action with a witty script. Hats off to Michael Bay for making a movie that can be this exciting with very little actual violence.
½ February 6, 2018
Cinematography/Editing: 4
Age/Originality: 3
Total: 19/25
February 5, 2018
A completely brainless actioner that is elevated to greatness for one last look at Connery as a secret agent. And, he's absolutely terrific here too!
After a decade of hit and miss films for Cage he was handed a golden role for his quirky side, playing a pretty basic sidekick but to good effect.
The cast in this film is exceptional and keeps the film rewatchable even if you dislike Michael Bay.
His style is evident here and the film has aged due to his fast editing technic, it is jarring at times. The soundtrack is over the top greatness that does not let up.

For all its faults this is easily Michael Bay's best film. It is an over the top big budget spectacle and if you can turn your brain off, just sit back and enjoy.
January 9, 2018
"A slam-bang action thriller!" Definitely Michael Bay's best film!
December 8, 2017
Very clever movie. Connery and Cage are great. But Connery is Scottish not English.
½ December 4, 2017
Exciting movie, good glimpse at Alcatraz
November 29, 2017
they dont make em' like they use to
October 29, 2017
The Rock is made to entertain from very good character development and amazing action.
October 8, 2017
Seul film de Michael Bay toléré par la plèbe, The Rock est une immense bande-annonce de 2h20 où Nicolas Cage (qui surjoue) et Sean Connery (qui surjoue encore plus) doivent libérer des otages coincés à Alcatraz par des militaires renégats dirigés par Ed Harris (qui surjoue) et Tony Todd (ce n'est plus du surjeu à ce niveau-là). The Rock est un divertissement pur, qui refuse de passer un message malgré les motivations plutôt intelligente de ses bad guys et qui ne vise qu'à faire péter le plus de choses possibles à l'écran. Bay se régale et se permet quelques plans iconiques au milieu du vacarme interminable un peu crétin qui se déroule. Mais les amateurs du genre y trouveront leur bonheur, tant The Rock est un film dénué de cynisme et fait pour plaire au plus grand nombre. Non, The Rock n'est pas le meilleur film de Michael Bay, mais c'est tout de même une sacrée réussite dans son genre.
October 8, 2017
Still one of my faves.Brilliant film & a real romp of a movie.Don`t make them like this anymore
September 12, 2017
Good film, good plot and good acting. But that's as good as it gets..."good". Nicolas Cages character goes from scientist to gun wielding maniac within an hour and half. Sean Connery however keeps the film alive with a mix of comedy and tough fighting scenes.
September 11, 2017
The plot is thinner than someone with anorexia, and the dialogue has more cheese than the state of Wisconsin, but The Rock is arguably Michael Bay's best film to date. The action is surprisingly well-edited and easy to follow, and Bay is equally surprisingly restrained when it comes to his three favorite things; product placement, American flags, and explosions. Nicholas Cage's performance is just overacted enough to be good, but not so much that it's bad. Sean Connery and Ed Harris also give strong performances. All in all, The Rock is a fantastic action film that you don't have to think about to enjoy.
September 1, 2017
Micheal Bay's style of action is present, only this time around a strong plot, a brilliant cast and an amazing Zimmer score are there to bolster it.
August 18, 2017
I was pleasantly surprised by how such an old movie manages to captivate and thrill past its time. I never saw this back when it came out, but I'd have to say that unlike most of the Simpson, Bruckheimer, and Bay material we see anymore, this was actually pretty well done. Not that it really strains the brain, plot points are usually pretty evident long before they take place, and there are some albeit few really cheesy or quite unrealistic scenes and gags, the movie well makes up for these few drawbacks with its payout. The music, the story, the cinematography: all of them are really top notch. And then there's the star-power: normally I wouldn't and couldn't give a rat's fugly little arse, but it makes this movie shine pretty bright. It really just clicks that well.
July 24, 2017
Zemecks is at his best here with a small budget character driven hybrid of melodramatic drama and horror with perfect results. Headlines by Streep, Hawn and Willis who are all wonderfully brilliant, especially the latter who hasn't eclipsed this performance since. The script is so razor sharp and never once stops being both self aware and hilarious throughout.
½ June 25, 2017
'THE ROCK' was directed by Michael Bay, and stars Nicholas Cage, Sean Connery and Ed Harris. ?When ex US General Frank Hammel(Ed Harris) threatens to launch chemical weapons against San Fransisco from Alcatraz, the US government send in Stanley Goodspead(Nicholas Cage), a biochemist, and John Mason(Sean Connery), the only man to ever escape Alcatraz alive, to combat the general and save the city from annihilation.

This is the best action movie with mediocre action. It's endlessly quotable(I found that out the hard way) and succeeds purely because of its talented cast of actors and Bay's solid direction(blasphemy, I know). Mason and Goodspeed are the driving force of this movie and elevate it from average at best, to freaking awesome. The action is passable and will please the majority of audiences but that isn't the reason to see the movie.

A sentence I never figured I'd have to say when referring a Michael Bay movie is 'The story for this film is well written, concise and provides clear motivations for all its characters'. The premise of setting a movie like this on Alcatraz is genius and Bay builds a genuinely good story around that. There is a first time for everything, and this was apparently also his last.

Nicholas Cage is both the best and worst actor in existence simultaneously. He's mental but mental in a way were he's not annoying like Travolta and not intentionally funny like Carrey. He's Nicholas Cage and no one can take that away from him, and that is the reason he was great in this movie as a man pushed to the brink of his sanity. Sean Connery(you just read that in his voice) clearly uses his period as Bond to sell the character of John Mason and anyone that says Mason is anything less than a freaking bad ass is kidding themselves. Ed Harris was brilliant as General Hummel and provided a layered, interesting performance. Hummel was smart, interesting and intimidating, and made a great adversary for the two leads. My main issue with the movie is an aspect of the villain. I won't spoil as to what but I figured it best to mention it, even if you don't know specifically why.

The effects in this movie are atrocious but I cannot blame them for that and don't hold it against them. John Schwartzmen shoots the movie very well and the movie was also very well lit. I have issues with some of the editing but not to the point were it actively annoyed me throughout the run time. Both the set design and the costume design were pretty bland. Setting the movie on Alcatraz was genius but I feel they could have done more with the sets.

The action is this movie is fine. The comedy is fine. The dialogue is good. The characters are fantastic and amazing and incredible and are the main reason I recommend you see this movie. They are all so likable and elevate the movie from good to great and for that I congratulate them. I highly recommend this movie, and I'll rate it 9 Concerned Hairdressers out of 10.
June 14, 2017
Secondo film per Michael Bay, ancora nella sua fase di sperimentazione, quando il suo stile era ancora acerbo e non del tutto delineato. "The Rock" è stato un buon film d'azione, ricco di scene interessanti, con un antagonista molto moderno, condivisibile e vulnerabile. Il tutto è sorretto da una sceneggiatura che, stranamente, riesce a funzionare, tranne sporadiche inesattezze che non ne scalfiscono però la qualità generale. Se devo trovare un difetto è la convenzionalità del film: forse per dare un giudizio simile dovrei averlo visto appena uscito nel 1996, ma rivederlo adesso mi sembra tutto materiale già visto e rivisto. Nonostante questo, conferma il talento indiscutibile di un regista molto discusso, quando ancora era in grado di scegliere sceneggiature perlomeno dignitose.