The Rock - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Rock Reviews

March 20, 2017
Not a Michael Bay fan, but I like this film. It's one of the better action film of the past fifteen years.
March 1, 2017
Rating: 76%
Though it lacks a considerable amount of substance compared to other action films, The Rock is still a suitably explosive and fun thriller that will keep most audiences engaged.
February 21, 2017
Grade - C
Whilst 'The Rock' may have some good action scenes (and some not so good ones) and an excellent score, it suffers with story, characters, logic and just about everything else. The acting is passable, but unless you find yourself enjoying non-stop, no stakes action, then I'd recommend skipping this one.
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 15, 2017
Classic action movie.:)
January 2, 2017
It was a solid action movie. The plot was interesting and it moved at a quick pace. Had a great cast of characters and actors.
½ January 1, 2017
The Rock is good old-fashioned cornball action at its best.
½ December 22, 2016
Absurd and utterly pointless, "The Rock" has a lot of testosterone, but too little intelligence to hold my interest.
December 18, 2016
I saw this movie as a kid when it first came out - this is top tier action with a soundtrack that i'll NEVER forget.
½ December 15, 2016
While watching The Rock I can certainly see some of the hallmarks of Michael Bay's modern mindless blockbusters, but there's a spark in this movie that sets it apart. First and foremost there is a great script. I love the unique motivations of many of the characters, and the way that it portrays at least one heroic villain and one villainous hero. The framework of the story is brilliant and gets you engaged from the beginning, even when they take some time to introduce characters so that we understand their quirks and sympathize with them. In my opinion, this is Michael Bay's one-and-only masterpiece!

It doesn't hurt that The Rock has the best cast that Michael Bay has ever worked with. Sean Connery proves he hasn't lost a step as he is easily one of the most intimidating characters in the film. He delivers iconic lines with such ease that he puts other actors to shame. Nicolas Cage is reined in enough that his style of crazy makes the character more engaging, but not totally insane. Ed Harris is the linchpin of the film, though. The portrayal of this General who truly believes in what he is doing, but also has a secret reluctance to go through with the darker aspects of it, could have been ruined if it wasn't done right. Harris sells it completely.

I'm willing to admit that there are aspects of The Rock that are extremely far-fetched. However, this is the type of action film that is allowed some stretches in logic, and I don't even think about it when I'm watching. The story takes me on a ride and I enjoy it from start to finish. There might even be some segments of the movie that could be trimmed down or removed (particularly before the team infiltrates The Rock.) But I value the opportunity to engage with these characters more in order to learn about their personalities. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I can understand what might make some people hate this or even equate it with Michael Bay's other terrible films, but I'm willing to overlook those flaws and even credit them as positives. This is one of those movies I haven't seen in years, and yet I still love it like I did the first time.
½ December 12, 2016
Winners go home and fuk the prom queen...
November 7, 2016
The perfect definition of a "Popcorn Flick". A film that rides the perfect line between being too over-the-top and being too serious. Great performances by Sean Connery, Nicolas Cage, and Ed Harris. You can tell that they are all having a blast acting in this movie. The action scenes are spectacular! Some great gun battles and a pretty wild car chase through the streets of San Fransisco. This movie also comes with its fair share of comedy. Nick Cage and Sean Connery have some pretty great banter between each other and work well as the film's two leads. If you have a bunch of buddies around with some snacks and drinks and are looking for a good time, then "The Rock" is a good choice!
October 17, 2016
It definitely has some super cheesy moments, but is still a fun, action packed movie.
½ October 15, 2016
Sean Connery saves the day ... and this movie
September 21, 2016
A real classic action movie, this is the reason why I don't hate Michael Bay to bad.
August 29, 2016
While it's not a 'Gulf War' film per se, The villian's backstory is firmly rooted in actual events from that war. If you think Deer Hunter is a vietnam war film then this probably is a gulf war film.
½ August 28, 2016
Great cast does it all here
August 2, 2016
Its a little better then exactly what its supposed to be.
July 27, 2016
A thrilling and explosive film led by a trio of fantastic actors (especially Cage) and surprisingly well directed for a Michael Bay movie, and it also impresses with the way that the smart script introduces many narrative elements which turn out to play an important role later on.