A Time to Kill Reviews

• Jan 03, 2019

Excellent movie!!! Unfortunately that issue still exists 22years later.

Excellent movie!!! Unfortunately that issue still exists 22years later.

• Nov 25, 2018

A gripping emotional courtroom drama. Joel Schumacher's straight forward direction leads A Time to Kill (1996) to compelling courtroom drama that dives into the heart of American racial politics and the ethics of murder. It is upsetting movie material, but ever so important and relevant to present day America dynamics. The tensions between black and white communities feels just as crucial as when A Time to Kill first released. The direction is smooth and full of fascinating shots to squeeze every bit of intense emotion out of the actors and the audience. Schumacher's style is fairly basic and not groundbreaking, but his directorial vision is still present to demonstrate the injustices of America's legal systems. Schumacher shines a light on the numerous flaws of lawyers, courts, judges, and ethics all thanks to Akiva Goldsman's script adaptation of John Grisham's novel A Time to Kill. Samuel L. Jackson is the standout performer in A Time to Kill. He is so serious and sympathetic. You are on his side the whole time and Jackson gives the most passionate speeches you'll ever hear in A Time to Kill. I would put this performance from Jackson up against any in his career. Similarly, Matthew McConaughey is brilliant as the young lawyer representing Jackson's character. He adds a warmth and likability to the story, while portraying the more intriguing aspects of lawyer defense. On the other hand, A Time to Kill features three excellent villainous performances from Kevin Spacey, Kiefer Sutherland, and Kurtwood Smith. Spacey's Southern corrupt prosecutor is so slimy and repulsive played with a callous charisma that is infectious. Spacey is pretty impressive here. Likewise, Sutherland is such a vicious racist that you are shaken by his contempt for black people. Lastly, Smith's KKK leader role is quite chilling in his cruel portrayal. Smith is fantastic as always. I must mention the fine supporting cast of A Time to Kill. Donald Sutherland is thoughtful and fun in his pleasant nature. Ashley Judd is excellent as McConaughey's wife. She gives an aloof sweetness and supportive dramatic appeal. Unfortunately, Sandra Bullock and Oliver Platt are way over the top. They are the type of cheesy schmaltz stereotypes you can count Schumacher to put into his films. The movie is about a half hour too long as well as this story could have been condensed. I wish Schumacher needed to take a more serious and intricate show of the relations in the movie. The harrowing nature of this crime narrative is played seriously at least. Overall, Samuel L. Jackson is the main appeal of A Time to Kill, but McConaughey and Spacey's roles are worth watching too. It is a shocking and intense film that could have been whittled down a bit, but is certainly worth seeing.

• Nov 04, 2018

Don`t believe the lower scores here. I was engrossed the entire run time. Such harrowing stakes and gut turning moments. A hard watch because of it`s subject matter, but oh so worth that first viewing.

• Oct 10, 2018

Though self indulgent, ham-fisted, and occasionally slippery in its grasp of courtroom sentencings; the film's quality soars in conveying politically relevant themes of its narrative. A Time To Kill will stand the test of time appropriately, with powerful performances and stinging dialogue to give a strong defense to its case.

• Oct 05, 2018

Great movie. Very bitter sweet film. The court secen was very emotional as well as the begging secen. Best part is the end.

• Sep 04, 2018

to the well earned actors.. A Time To Kill A Time To Kill is a plot driven courtroom dramatic thriller about a man who kills two felonies and pleads a verdict for not guilty. Schumacher's world in here believes on the procedure that goes behind the stage which helps a lot to the feature especially in its latter stages. The script is elaborative and not overstretched which helps keeping the audience tangled into its dark political bubble. Despite of having such multiple characters and such big stars going head to head on screen, it never gets crowded and the credit goes to its fine editing. The script may not be as layered as the writers may think, but is undeniably entertaining to the core. The writing is flawed at times and the priority seems to be on the commercial side, which unfortunately takes the heat away from the material. The script debates a lot over ethics and morale conflicts and political opinions but never gets past it or even offers an adequate closure to the viewers. The characters are three-dimensional and doesn't always play fair or evil, the resemblance with practicality keeps this fictitious tale grounded. It is short on technical aspects like background score, cinematography and camera work which is more pathos than script demands; a failed attempt by the makers to keep the crisp alive. McConaughey proves his magnificent skills once again, with Bullock's decent support and on the other hand Spacey oozes power along with Jackson's fine portrayal. Schumacher's execution is chalky around the edges and fails to deliver as anticipated despite of having such a powerful source like Grisham. The intense courtroom drama, argumentative conversations and stellar performances are the high points of the feature. A Time To Kill belongs to the well earned actors and no other, for if there is anything that makes this more than two hours of journey worth, it is that cast standing in front of you.

• Sep 02, 2018

Is this a true story? Amazing movie. Had me by the seat of my pants, even after seeing it for the 5th time! Whew!

• Jul 20, 2018

Easily the greatest court room drama ever written and directed. Stellar cast and perfect acting.

• Jul 16, 2018

A Time To Kill: Time For Humanity (Review) Cinematography: 10/10 Might some consider this vintage? The slight grittiness of the visuals always makes films seem more cinematic to me. Plus?-?the flow of the film is amazing and really encapsulates the story in a poetically revealing cinematic sense. The film gets better and better with every scene!  Costume Design: 9.797/10 Ever watch a film that doesn't distract you by the attire but makes you feel more engrossed in the film by the attire?  Film Editing: 10/10 Solid.  Make-up and Hair-styling: 9.797/10 Not distracting and seems to be very telling of the cultural styles in the particular climates. Sound Editing: 9.892/10 A strong element is using the natural flow of sound in a space. I find myself intently listening: the natural amplifications and inflections flowing really makes the vocals stand out.  Visual Effects: 10/10 Solid. Story: 10/10 Talk about covering bases. A Time To Kill leaves no stones unturned and adequately implements to create a very very well completed story.  Acting: 10/10 Phenomenal. Do you understand the importance of having acting partners capable of handling a lot of dialogue and motion effectively in a film of this caliber?  Personal: So, I watch A Time To Kill after someone reprimands me (not aggressively, just in extreme shock) for not watching the film and then recommends me watch the film. We were trying to figure out other movies Matthew McConnaughey is in because I was talking about seeing White Boy Rick. I've come to realize he is in a few films I enjoy: beyond this point, I find A Time To Kill to be a very voluminous film which shows the importance of justice, law, and human existence in proper effect. I contemplate all of the contributing factors that force humans to recognize the importance of humanity. People are constantly learning actively and subconsciously. There is so much contributing to one's developments and growths: ultimately, the sole responsibility of one's developments rests on an individual's being as well as the way one defines their self in the midst of their circumstances. Yet?-?the assistance one receives in their life may be of greatly considerable factors towards their development. Overall: 9.935/10 -K.D. If you're into Poetry and other bits of creativity, check out my Instagram: @Dufreshest.

• May 23, 2018

EPIC PERFORMANCES BY SAMUEL L JACKSON AND MATTHEW MCCONAUGHEY. SORRY FOR THE ALL-CAPS ... rt'S DOING.