A Time to Kill Reviews

½ March 22, 2007
I still believe this is one of the best grisham film adaptaions.
½ June 6, 2010
The book must be also powerfull ,nothing left but to find out ...
June 14, 2006
This incredibly enthralling court drama tries to juggle a lot of themes at the same time and yet succeeds. Race issues in the southern US meet the question of taking law into your own hands to punish those who deserve it. The film can rely on a gripping script and a stellar cast. The dialogs, while sometimes not without stereotypes, are spot on most of the time and deliver strong scenes that demand everything from the actors. McConaughey, Jackson and Spacey all deliver. It's probably physically impossible not to be moved one way or another by the events of this film, even if you catch yourself realizing how it is playing you. The result is so well filmed and delivered that it is nothing less than one of the strongest and most exciting court dramas ever put on film.
June 8, 2009
Cast: Matthew McConaughey, Kevin Spacey, Sandra Bullock, Samuel L. Jackson, Charles S. Dutton, Oliver Platt, Brenda Fricker, Donald Sutherland, Ashley Judd, Tonea Stewart, John Diehl, Chris Cooper, Nicky Katt, Kurtwood Smith, Beth Grant, Joe Seneca, Anthony Heald, Alexandra Kyle, Kiefer Sutherland

Director: Joel Schumacher

Summary: When two white men brutally rape a young black girl in a small Mississippi town, the child's vengeful father (Samuel L. Jackson) fears their acquittal and takes the law into his own hands. But as his trial date approaches, all hell breaks loose. Aided by lawyer Jake Brigance (Matthew McConaughey) and his spunky legal assistant (Sandra Bullock), the father fights to stay out of prison and salve his daughter's terrible memories.

My Thoughts: "By far one of the best movies I have ever seen. All the performances where outstanding. Some of my favorite actors are in this movie so that was a plus. But more then anything, it was the story line that brought me to watch this movie that I have seen multiple times. The best John Grisham story put to film. The story is tragic, sickening, and intense. But inspiring as well."
½ April 4, 2011
The first 20 minutes of Face/Off is the most haunting memory of cinema for me since the end of Se7en. The rest of it is interesting but not as intense. The cast is great, story caught my attention, but the side plots are so uninteresting. Overall, a great movie, with horrible side stories they made really boring.
½ May 19, 2007
I can?t remember exactly how many times I?ve watched this film, but it?s one I return to over and over again. The power of the story and the struggle to determine a fair verdict and trial in this film, is it?s unique selling point. The sumising speech at the end of this film has always stayed with me and is a very profound point of the film.

A horrific, unthinkable crime that created revenge so deep that it will have you debating the rights and wrongs throughout.

Whilst Samuel L Jackson has made many films and many more than this one are famous for him and because of him, but this for me is the best performance Jackson has given to date, a serious role, with a believable performance and a much deeper, more meaningful approach to many of his other films.

This still remains to be one of my favourite films and an absolute recommendation for anyone who enjoys serious Drama.
May 24, 2009
Lovely and depressing. Gotta love watching racists and the KKK antagonize people. Was impressed by all the stars and Matthew McConaughey's performance.
½ September 29, 2007
i personally love this movie, its powerful, moving and action packed! its about a black fathers anger when his daughter gives raped by two white men that he goes a shoots them and kills them and is them arrested, matthew mcconaughy is the lawyer trying to make the jury see where the samual l jackson is coming from and is feeling as in the south of america it was still racist and would lock any black man up without battering an eyelid this film is soo worth a watch!!
December 21, 2008
This movie dealt with such a deplorable subject.. such a sickening act, without so much as one single gratuitously violent scene in the whole perfectly realised masterpiece.

It's a chilling, thought-provoking, hard-hitting piece that's taut, absorbing, and impeccably well-paced.

There are jaw-dropping performances by numerous top-flight actors here, not a one letting the ball drop even once! Not one actor's time or talents were wasted in this extremely well thought-out project.. not one actor wasted our money we paid to see it.

Matthew McConaughey's "Jake Brigance" was an incredibly lucky first shot of an acting debut that he took and ran with like the wind, turning in an amazing, heart-stopping, truly star-making performance, which may prove to be the crowning achievement of his entire career when all is said and done.. It will be a treacherous climb to try and top it, certainly.

Class act Donald Sutherland is superbly cast in a quiet, and profound role, as "Jake"'s, {now no longer practicing}, professor, a perfect fit, this role, for a man of such rare eloquence~ There is a sizzling sub-story going on between "Jake", a devoted family man, and Sandra Bullock's character that could not have been tighter, steamier, nor more well written and played out.

I recommend this movie to anyone who believes in justice, who has a child, or only knows a child.

You want cheap, tawdry, sleazy, violent 'entertainment'? There's not one thing here for you~

Killing cannot be considered "right" by any means; but sometimes it's just not as simple as "THOU SHALT NOT KILL".

So many of us say, "I would kill for my children, {or other loved one's}!".. but would we? ..Would we be in the "right"?
½ March 3, 2008
Great lines by Samuel, that's about it.
January 5, 2007
best court room drama ive ever seen. very good
½ October 8, 2007
The best John Grishem adaptation ever. A powerful and unforgettable film. Samuel L. Jackson is electrifying. Matthew McConaughey is outstanding. An emotionaly charged and breathtaking thriller.
July 30, 2007
First of all, white people and black people in Miss. don't talk.
December 31, 2006
A great and very powerful court room drama set in the south, after a man shoots 2 men who assaulted his young daughter.
July 14, 2007
Full of drama but some of the content is very graphic. Samuel is brilliant.
February 8, 2007
I usually detest John Grisham's brand of airport populist courtroom trash, but an impressive cast elevates this above the usual white liberal take on southern racism. The characters are wall to wall cliches, but decent character actors keep them interesting, particularly SLJ and Donald Sutherland.
½ June 7, 2007
A film filled with powerful and confrontational performances. Schumachers direction is kept simple in order to allow the audience to focus on the story at hand. This may be overblown at times, but that just makes for a more inetresting film. Deffinately hard hitting in places.
January 31, 2007
Good movie with a powerful cast.
November 26, 2006
This is the most powerful John Grisham novel movie and superb courtroom battle for justice.
½ June 13, 2006
Yes they deserved to die, and I hope they burn in Hell!