Jack - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jack Reviews

June 10, 2017
Robin Williams deserves more credit for this. It's actually one of his better movies. Very sweet and touching. (First viewing - Summer 1996 in theaters)
½ May 18, 2017
This movie is well acted enough, but the idea behind it is just too depressing to be funny.
½ April 18, 2017
This is probably the oddest film I've ever seen. I like to think of it as a film that is best when you learn from it. It explains the little things in life that we go through that we take for granted. Also, probably one of the best monologue quotes of all time at its end. Great movie.
October 3, 2016
There's just something kind of damn wrong with this one. Kind of awkward. It's a movie I wanted to like so much. I adore Robin Williams. Something off with this.
July 15, 2016
Coppola and Williams could have made an interesting duo. Instead, they made a horrid, tired, and clichà (C)d piece of cinema.
jamrcla
½ June 22, 2016
Not a bad film, Very moving at times, And the story was very interesting but dragged at times.
January 12, 2016
Wow! Just, wow! Director Francis Ford Coppola, I feel sorry for you making something like this! There was a good opportunity to show us a great story, but I have to ask, what the heck went wrong!?
September 16, 2015
As much as I wanted to like what this movie had to say, the fact that Bill Cosby is in it, ruins it completely! Also, the direction was inconsistent. Not one of Robin William's better movies.
July 28, 2015
A classic funny and some great drama too
May 1, 2015
Blllllllaaaaaannnnnndddddd oooffffffffeeeerrrriiiinnnnngggggg.
March 11, 2015
I liked this story, kinda funny with some heart
March 5, 2015
A very interesting movie.
January 5, 2015
loved it! my kids loved it! they still ask to watch it again!
December 20, 2014
A must-see, fun film that was carried by the young-at-heart comedian Robin Williams at his usual when he was embracing his inner child to be young at heart while bringing the usual goods of joy, heart and emotions. The dramedy also presents a nice transformation for the fantasy genre from Tom Hanks' "Big" into a realistic condition. This is sort-of a gem of his filmography by the kind of performance he'd done and what it stands for. (B+)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
December 11, 2014
One of my favorite Robin Williams movies, hard to watch this knowing he's not around
½ December 5, 2014
This film does have heart and some good laugh out loud jokes, but the problem is the director, Francis Ford Coppola, the director of The Godfather and The Godfather Part II, directed a movie about a ten year old boy who looks as though he's 40, it becomes a big disappointment for a brilliant director. It's great when a director shows that he/she can make a film of a different genre, that shows that they are good craftsman, but the tone of this film is so ridiculous and underdeveloped it becomes a big let-down for Coppola. This film I personally think would be a lot better if Ivan Reitman directed this movie.
October 31, 2014
it was ok not the best
September 21, 2014
want to watch it over again
September 13, 2014
JACK is directed by Francis Ford Coppola and stars Robin Williams in the title role of a boy who ages at four times the natural rate. While somewhat of an oddball choice for Coppola, known especially for the Godfather trilogy, this material is rather characteristic for Williams in this period of his career. Basically, it's a sentimental dramedy that elicits laughter and tugs at the heartstrings. However, this is clearly one of Williams' lesser films. The situation felt contrived and silly, merely an excuse for Williams to engage in puerile antics. What was more astonishing is that this entire film was played straight by everyone. I did laugh some, particularly at a couple scenes involving the physical comedy of Robin Williams playing a 10-year-old in a 40-year-old man's body, but I didn't laugh as much as I would have liked. The moments where they go for poignancy also fell flat a lot of the time, again mostly because of the contrived situation. However, the film is generally well-acted. Of course Robin Williams does a fine job, but Diane Lane and Bill Cosby in particular turn in good performances as well. Jennifer Lopez and Fran Drescher also show up, but more as eye candy for horny boys than anything. Looking at recent cases involving teachers sleeping with their students, the implications of the scenes involving Jack and those two characters might come off as irresponsible, the subject matter is handled as tastefully as possible (as opposed to something like THAT'S MY BOY, in which Adam Sandler plays a man-child of sorts). I did find one scene between Fran Drescher and Robin Williams as tender, but nothing more. Given the circumstances surrounding Jack's life, you might think that the film goes for a tearjerker of an ending, but it doesn't. Still, I do feel like the closing speech, which sums up the message of the movie, was tacked on and unnecessary to a degree. It was a sentiment better expressed in Williams' earlier movies, such as DEAD POETS SOCIETY. Overall, while still funny and touching in mostly equal measure, the direction was flat and story was about as inspiring as a Lifetime movie. For die-hard Robin Williams fans (or of Francis Ford Coppola) only. Everyone else would do well to skip it.