Iron Monkey Reviews

• Jan 06, 2019

Pretty fantastic martial arts fun. It's Robin Hood mixed with Crouching Tiger, but it's much more fast paced, juvenile and entertaining with its wire-fu than that critical darling. Some really great fight sequences you're not soon to forget.

• Jun 12, 2016

55% Saw this on 12/6/16 A shallow movie with some good eye candy, but that too not surprisingly new for these Kung-fu films. The film's plot is a joke and what kills is the meager running time of 85 minutes.

• Jun 01, 2016

one of my personal favorites

one of my personal favorites

• May 28, 2016

The laudatory reviews and high scores given to this film are proof of declining critical faculties as well as mindless devotion to all things martial art in a film. I couldn't watch this entire film, because I found it so laughable in its lame story and farcical action scenes. Compared to much better films in this genre-- say, the Ip Man films or Dragon, also with Donnie Yen--this one is a travesty, insulting to the audience's intelligence and derivative in the most ridiculous ways. I wasn't surprised that Quentin Tarantino was involved to some extent, because it has the comic book superficiality and stagey excesses I dislike so much in films that he directs. This one is just dumb, even with the earnest performances by the actor playing the Iron Monkey and by Donnie Yen, who is largely wasted here.

• May 01, 2016

"Iron Monkey" is absurd in almost every way, but it's also immensely entertaining.

• Apr 07, 2016

A super fun and wacky kung-fu movie that springs with spirited performances.

A super fun and wacky kung-fu movie that springs with spirited performances.

• Mar 26, 2016

Iron Monkey is exhilarating and fast-paced. The action choreography is almost flawless, with the viewer rarely becoming confused or bored with the rapid stunts, which is a huge accomplishment for the talented Yuen Woo-ping. Iron Monkey is a superior example of the "wire-fu" genre.

• Jan 18, 2016

Good old Kung-Fu Action Movie

Good old Kung-Fu Action Movie

• Dec 10, 2015

Highly entertaining! Badass martial arts stunts.

Highly entertaining! Badass martial arts stunts.

• Aug 09, 2015

Amazing martial arts film from director Woo-Ping Yuen, who's best known to american audiences as the fight choreographer for the Matrix films. This film is a fictionalized tale about legendary Chinese hero Wong Fei-hung as a child. A martial artist/doctor steals from the corrupt authorities as the masked thief Iron Monkey to give to the poor while another martial artist/doctor, Donnie Yen as Fei-hung's father, is forced to hunt him down. But a major threat unites them as a powerful and traitorous Shaolin monk takes over the authorities.. Donnie Yen is spectacular as Fei-hung's father and is the one Hong Kong star who I an really disappointed has never had a shot at the American market with a quality vehicle. His best US film appearance to date is probably a supporting role in Guillermo del Toro's "Blade II." The Mirimax cut of this film, which is what I watched, is quite changed form the original version, which I've never seen. Despite the changes from the original, this film stands out as a stellar material arts film and is essential viewing for fans of the genre.