Breakdown - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Breakdown Reviews

October 23, 2016
Kurt Russell and his wife Kathleen Quinlan are travelling to California when their car breaks down in the desert. A trucker ... the immortal J.T. Walsh ... stops and offers them a ride to a diner up the highway so that they can call a tow truck. Russell is wary of leaving their vehicle unattended (he had had a run-in with a local who had driven by minutes before), so Quinlan goes with Walsh while Russell stays with the car. Russell finds the problem with the car shortly thereafter, and drives to the diner, only to find out that no one has seen his wife or the truck driver. He catches up with Walsh, who denies having ever seen Russell before. A sleek, no nonsense thriller with a great cast.
½ June 1, 2016
It's exciting and suspenseful but a plain thriller.
½ May 22, 2016
It's a good suspense thriller
½ May 19, 2016
The first half of the movie is pretty suspenseful, falls off a bit by the end but still totally watchable.
March 18, 2016
Now I would say that this is more like a abduction thriller and I think I know the story straight up.

The plot is about Jeffery Taylor (Kurt Russell) and his wife going to San Diego and almost crashed into the truck. So they went to the gas station and they off again and all of the sudden, the jeep breaks down so Jeffery tries to call someone but the phone is dead. The lorry stopped and the man named Red Barr (played by J.T. Walsh) went to Jeffery and his wife push the jeep of the road and asks if they wanna ride in the lorry, Jeffery stays with the jeep. So when Jeffery forgot to wire the jeep he went Belle's Diner to see if his wife is here. Jeffery went to talk to Red Barr but Red said he never see him before in his life. Jeff is confused and hails a passing police car and told the cop that he had done something with his wife. So the cop went to look at the truck and there's nothing in it. Jeffery went to the police station and Belle's Diner again. The bartender didn't see his wife. So Jeff talks to Billy who says he his wife went on another truck. Jeffery went to find his wife but he was ambushed by Earl so he drove away from him and went into the river and got knocked out by Billy. So he wakes up by the bad guys. Their leader Red Barr tells him to the $90.000 for the ransom. So he went to the bank, called Red and went in the truck got taped by Earl. When Earl discovers Jeffery's ruse for the ransom, Jeffery stabs him, tapes him and tortures him by driving holy-grocal-molyly. The cop saw the truck speeding, Jeff stops and warns him that the bad guys kidnapped his wife, Earl shoots the cop so he shoots him. Jeff calls the officers to get the ambulance for a wounded cop. While Jeff's not talking, he hides underneath the lorry and climbed in. While arrived, he quietly enters Red's house and forces Red and his men to release his wife from the freezer before locking them in the cellar. Jeff and his wife went outta here. After Billy escapes from Jeffery, he frees Red and his men. While Jeff and his wife escapes, Red and his gang catches them. Red's truck got dameged at the back. Then he rams Jeff's vehicle off the bridge, his truck got hanged and Jeffery fights Red by hurling him of the truck and the truck got destroyed and that was it.

Wow, what a thriller! I enjoyed this much more and I never got tired of it. For all you ''Fast and Furious'' fans out here, this is the film that you will enjoy. It has suspence in it and it has thrills in it, I've seen it a million times and I'll probably seen a million more.
March 18, 2016
Pure hokum, but most enjoyable.
March 5, 2016
Jonathan Mostow's intense, beautifully crafted edge-of-your-seat thriller is a non-stop, nerve-frying ride of pure suspense. It concerns Jeff Taylor, played terrifically by Kurt Russell who is traveling to California with his beautiful wife Amy, played wonderfully by Kathleen Quinian in their new Jeep when their engine suddenly dies on a remote desert highway. A friendly trucker named Red, superbly played by the late character actor J.T. Walsh offers them a ride to nearest dinner where they call call for help, Amy decides to go while Jeff waits with the Jeep. But when Jeff shows up at the dinner, he finds that no one there has seen or heard from his wife. Jeff now begins a nightmarish odyssey in trying to track his missing wife, who he later learns that she has been kidnapped and held for ransom by gang vicious, sadistic thugs. What follows is jaw-dropping thriller that is a pulse-pounding adrenaline rush with great action sequences. One of the best thriller of the 90s, totally unmissable. Highly Recommended.
November 3, 2015
Fast-paced and awesome, I've seen this movie tens of times and it never gets old.
September 25, 2015
I'd almost forgotten how great this movie is. An old-fashioned, no-nonsense, edge-of-your-seat chase thriller with killer performances by Kurt Russel and J.T. Walsh. It's on HBO-GO right now, FYI.
September 12, 2015
I found this movie to be a good suspense thriller with a believable though scary story, something that I can imagine happening in real life, which made it scary for me, and made me pray that my car never breaks down in the middle of nowhere and afraid to ever hitch a ride with a seemingly friendly stranger. I like Kurt Russell as an actor and think his acting was fine in this movie so don't understand why some reviewers complained about that. It might not be a fantastic movie, and like most could be improved, and it's not a feel good movie that you'll want to see over and over again, but I found it to be a good suspense thriller and recommend watching it.
August 28, 2015
City boy Kurt Russell gets on the wrong side of a gang of redneck psychopaths. Need I say more?
July 31, 2015
A ridiculously intense thriller, so much so it's actually stressful to watch. Brilliant, exhaustingly suspenseful and utterly relentless. It's the best action thriller you've probably never seen.
July 24, 2015
The 90's answer to Duel, this film likes to keep the viewer on edge, making one wonder what will happen next. Kurt Russell, despite a few errors in this film, delivers a good performance, Red Barr (in one of his final film roles) is surprisingly great as an antagonist, and the plot in this film; a supposed Samaritan turning into a villain, is a rather clever plot twist.
½ June 28, 2015
A good idea, but the suspense they take so long creating through the uncertainty of Amy's whereabouts and Jeff's search for her, is undone by the farcical nature of the pursuit and ending.
June 13, 2015
Highly recommended. Kurt At his very best. Great chase thriller
June 13, 2015
An edge of your seat action movie. This movie is very frightening because you know something just like this is going on in America, somewhere.
May 9, 2015
A movie with lots of energy though some critics say no !
½ May 3, 2015
An intense thrilling fun ride.....pass the popcorn.
April 21, 2015
Blending intense action and sheer terror in a remarkable way with believable villains and an unforgettable performance by Kurt Russell.