True Crime Reviews

• Dec 01, 2020

A very bad film, directed by Clint Eastwood, who plays Steve Everett a journalist who thinks that a convicted murderer is an innocent and to prove his innocence, he has to race against time before his execution. An old plot, Clint Eastwood was a miscast. Acting was bad, no proper screenplay and 2hr 7mins 24secs waste of my time. I would rather do something useful than watching this. But Isaiah Washington's performance as Frank Beechum was outstanding.

• Oct 04, 2020

A decent movie, but Clint Eastwood was way too old for the role. WAY too old. On a positive note, Isaiah Washington delivered a very convincing and powerful performance as Frank Beechum.

• Jul 05, 2020

It is nothing special but interesting enough for a watch,

It is nothing special but interesting enough for a watch,

• Mar 09, 2020

An under-rated surprise of a movie! I didn't realized how great of a movie this was, until I watched it again. The bantering was hilarious. Eastwood, Leary & Woods were just about perfect in this Classic gem! A+

• Oct 26, 2019

Clint Eastwood has been in the movie business for so long, he knows every cliche and overused plot in cinematic history. I think when he decided to make this film, in spite of the fact that the "innocent prisoner on execution day" story has been done many times before, he said, "I'll put the Eastwood touch on it, and it will work." Well, it didn't work at the box office. It lost a lot of money, with a $55 million budget and a worldwide gross of about $16 million. I'm not sure why. Yeah, it's derivative, but Eastwood's personal touch saves it. There are many subtle, meaningful elements in this movie. The condemned man's little girl is drawing him a picture while visiting him on his last day, and she loses her green crayon. The prison guards find it and bring it to her. She wants to draw a "green pasture," a very hip reference to the 1936 all-black film about stories from the Bible. Biblical themes recur throughout. "An eye for an eye" is repeated a few times, both by characters and on protest posters. The prison clergyman (Michael McKean) is shameful, falsely claiming that the condemned man gave him a confession just to make to make himself look good. And the condemned man has found the Lord, which is a prison cliche, but it does make us sit back and reconsider his guilt or innocence. The scenes with newspaper reporter Steve Everett (Eastwood) and his managing editor Alan Mann (James Woods) are worth the price of admission. Wood is hyperactive, over-the-top, and totally engaging. The other actors are uniformly excellent, especially Isaiah Washington as the condemned man Frank Beechum. Eastwood's Everett is not a nice guy. He's a drunk (he's been sober for two months, but he breaks down and gets drunk due to all the stress he's under); he's a shameless womanizer, sleeping with his city editor's wife and anyone else who will accommodate him; and he neglects his own wife and kid. But as the story proceeds and he becomes convinced that the accused man is innocent, he starts to realize that doing the right thing for once in his life may save him from self-destruction. He does everything in his power, including driving drunk at top speed to the governor's house just minutes before the execution, to elicit justice. Plausible? Believable? Of course not. Cliched? No doubt. But hang in there. One thing about Eastwood as a director, and as an actor: He never fails to engage us and draw us into the story. My only criticism is that the resolution is a bit rushed. But the final scene makes up for it. Ignore the naysayers and watch this one. You won't be disappointed.

• Sep 13, 2019

Bit of a joke film but I managed to watch it.

Bit of a joke film but I managed to watch it.

• Aug 08, 2019

As with many of Eastwood's films, this on also starts slowly and focuses on character development. However, stay with it. The story builds momentum through a 24 hours chase for the truth until the riveting climax at two minutes past midnight. I'm not a left-wing crusader (neither is Eastwood) but knowing that over 100 inmates sentenced to death were later exonerated by DNA evidence, this "unrealistic" drama becomes very plausible. An excellent film!

• Feb 13, 2019

An overlooked legal thriller in my eyes. While it may be paced too slowly for some I enjoy True Crime for tackling hard issues such as the flaws in our justice system.

• Jan 22, 2019

While not for everyone, True Crime has an engaging narrative about our flawed justice system, great acting, and a touching yet tragic conclusion.

• Aug 09, 2017

SuspenseFULL to The End. Woods is a special treat in this.

SuspenseFULL to The End. Woods is a special treat in this.