Go West - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Go West Reviews

July 25, 2016
good comedy silent also directed by buster
July 1, 2016
One of busters best! His cow was my favorite part.
½ November 27, 2015
It is so much fun to see Keaton throw the West upside down as he befriends a jolly cow in a ranch, struggles to arrive in time for lunch and sets a herd of cattle free in the city while trying to make his way as a cowboy, even if hilariously clueless about what he is doing.
August 15, 2015
While not Buster Keaton's best work, Go West offers some hilarious laughs throughout in this fun filled western comedy
November 8, 2014
in which Buster falls in love with a cow and turns the city topsy-turvy in his quest to save her from the slaughter-house. Hilarious hijinks ensue in this extremely endearing 68 M film. One of Buster's masterpieces. Buster's favorite Buster film !!
½ April 13, 2014
Everything I see with Buster Keaton resonates. I still don't understand how he doesn't seem to be as revered as Chaplin. In this movie, he's a cowboy from the East a bit down on his luck. Hilarious final scene with a herd of cattle. I have no idea how he got them to do what they did. Highly recommended.
January 7, 2014
My first Keaton film! A great story about a guy from the East down on his luck heading west to find better opportunities. Befriending a Cow after becoming a ranch-hand and catching the eye of the rancher's daughter the man known only as friendless becomes a hero and saves the ranch.
December 28, 2013
Buster Keaton in an early version of a well-worn plot device - city boy becomes cow boy . . . but Keaton established the standard for all those that followed. His deadpan pathos, his fish out of water reactions, and the relationship he develops with a big brown eyed cow is brilliant and timeless. The climax of the film involves a cattle stampede through downtown Los Angeles - interesting for several reasons . . . it's an epic scale event done without the help of special effects, it's hilariously played out by Keaton and a huge supporting cast, and it's a rare view of the streets of Los Angeles as it looked in 1925.
December 10, 2013
My Favorite Comedy Film Is 1933's Duck Soup.
November 13, 2013
A Buster Keaton Western? Sign me up! So we have our main man (Keaton) who isn't having much luck with city life, so he sells everything, takes a train out West, and decides to give the life of a farmhand a try. The opening title card really sums it: "Some people travel through life making friends where ever they go, while others... Just travel through life." This is more good stuff from the irresistible Buster Keaton. Silent comedies are inherently slapstick, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing, as Keaton knows how to make it charming. His interactions with the animals are really funny, but they are also sweet as well; his friendship that he shares with the cow is the driving force of the movie, which is the source of some of the biggest laughs here, and it all works because they have a good chemistry together, as odd as that may sound. There is some innovative camera work featured, specifically, the bull POV shot, which ends up being very memorable. What really stands out though is the finale, as is per usual in Buster Keaton movies; when everything goes wrong, that is when the movie magic is the most palpable. This is probably the lesser of the Keaton movies I have seen thus far, but even the worst Buster Keaton movie is better than 90% all comedies out there.
½ November 11, 2013
liked when he chose the cow over the girl
July 31, 2013
honestly, i felt a lot less risk was involved by making a homeless cow endeavor, compared with his other films. not that i dislike cow endeavors.
½ April 14, 2013
Another incredible Buster Keaton film. I found this to be hist most consistent film as far as comedy goes. I may not have laughed as much, even though I still did, but I thought the material was better paced instead of leaving the majority of it for the climax. The story is also surprisingly sweet, the description for this film likens it to Chaplin's films, which are more sentimental and contain a lot more heart. Not to say Keaton's films don't have heart, because they do, it's just that Chaplin's films depended more on that instead of the comedy. Anyway the point is that I agree with the comparisons wholeheartedly. The movie tells the sweet story of Friendless who, obviously, is friendless and how he makes his way to the west, where he gets a job as a COWBOY, a vague job description if you ask me. Anyways, while there he meets and befriends a cow, yes...a cow. Anyway the story is about what he'll do for his one and only friend when Brown Eyes, the cow, is sold off to a slaughterhouse. Hilarity, of course, ensues. And while this may not have the wildest stunts of his career, there are still some really clever and inventive moments. I thought that the climactic scene, while still strong, was probably a little too long. Some of it could've been shortened to benefit the film. That's not really a big complaint when the movie runs 68 minutes, so it still flies by. Anyway, I loved this movie. It's got a charming story and it's really funny so I loved watching this. I had a lot of fun and this is a must-see if you love silent comedy.
February 23, 2013
Not Buster in prime form...
February 23, 2013
Fun, but not really essential Keaton.
February 21, 2013
I seem to be in the minority when it comes on impressions of this film. Yes this film is very humorous however the weakest link of this film is the film dragging its feet to move on with the story. The pacing is lacking unlike many of Keaton's other films. Unlike many other of Keaton film there seems to be no examination of Keaton as a character and the develop that is suppose to come across.
½ September 29, 2012
A bit long for as little plot or gags that are normally expected from these types of films . . .
August 26, 2012
Very funny and inspired.
½ April 26, 2012
Its got such a good finale!
½ March 8, 2012