Mansfield Park - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mansfield Park Reviews

October 22, 2016
Neither faithful to the novel nor the period, Patricia Rozema's adaptation of Jane Austen's "Mansfield Park" is entertaining, but not nearly as wholesome as it's expertly-written source material.
August 12, 2016
Does Austen justice. Fine actress, acting, script,production, score.
½ July 24, 2016
Jessica wanted to watch another Jane Austen inspired movie with me since the first one I watched did not appeal to me. That movie was "Love & Friendship". This movie was much better than the other. I enjoyed the two main characters and watching their romance blossom.The costumes and the sets were pretty fancy. After watching this movie, I am open to watching more Jane Austen inspired films with my wife. Pride & Prejudice & Zombies was pretty good hehe.
April 24, 2016
I'm not a Jane Austin fan, that should be mentioned first. Not that I find her works boring but they simply aren't my cup of tea. I read Pride and Prejudice in a literary class, but it was a fairly dull experience for me, and I have never picked up Mansfield Park once.

As a film, it is not even an eventful one. A kind of coming to age, rags to riches and back again kind of plot line. Although there were some beautiful settings and some extremely nice costuming, I never really felt that I was witnessing this period drama in the 1800's. I was trying not to laugh at most of the actors, taking themselves exceptionally seriously in roles that they obviously did not fit in. The main character was rather blasť at best. The morality of some of the characters were simply selfish, even when they were not trying to be, by simply trying to improve their social settings. By the end of the film, nobody had really changed, but just become more aged and experienced as one would expect. In the end, the women of the story overcome their respective obstacles and then it stops like an overly long bus trip. You need a meal and a nap at the end of this film.

I would assume you have to enjoy Jane Austin novels to enjoy this film. If you are not into period pieces, give this one a miss. For me it was simply uninteresting.

April 2, 2016
As a costume drama set in the Austen-era? Pretty good. As an adaptation of Mansfield Park? Not so much.
February 16, 2016
While it sometimes veers far off the book, it is visually beautiful with a haunting score and addresses the serious issues of Austen's novel. This adaptation incorporates some of Austen's best quotes and outlandish short stories and delivers all the humor that is quintessential Austen.
½ February 14, 2016
I wasn't familiar with this Jane Austin story, but I loved it.

I haven't read the book, so I don't know how good of an adaptation it is, but I loved the movie was very enjoyable.
February 7, 2016
Totally bland and forgettable characters. Entirely without charm or wit. Even the more empowering decisions Fanny makes feel insipid... Maybe it's the cheesy slowmos or the bad acting or just a dull plot the only interesting character was Thomas and he's barely in the film.
January 31, 2016
That was rad. Very enjoyable.
½ December 30, 2015
I know I have seen this before, don't recall when. Very enjoyable costume drama, updated with some twists.
½ December 20, 2015
Much better than the 2007 version, but then Frances O'Connor and Jonny Lee Miller have always been favorites of mine. One of the really excellent adaptions of my favorite author, Jane Austen, for the screen.
December 12, 2015
The Jane Austen story and dialogue are wonderful, with excellent cast, particularly Frances O'Connor and Harold Pinter. I enjoyed it more the second time I saw it.
November 7, 2015
Although certainly one of the lesser adaptations of Austin's work, Mansfield Park is progressive enough in its look at gender roles as to warrant a recommendation for those who enjoy period pieces. Its lighthearted, comedic tone makes its central romance somewhat flimsy, but it's a rare costume drama that actually acknowledges the privileges afforded to the white people who comprise the cast, repeatedly making reference to the racist states of mind that existed in the time period so often romanticized by these films and showing the plight of the slaves that afforded these people their holdings through forced labor. This coupled with its feminist stance on the agency of women made Mansfield Park a progressive novel back when it was first written and, sadly, could still be seen as progressive now.
May 18, 2015
Frances O'Connor AND Justine Waddell ... *sigh* <3
March 25, 2015
Felt like a Modern rom-com but way more subtle! Love romance that are not just spoken but by action
February 22, 2015
Can't believe it took me THIS LONG to see this movie -- Anglophile fail! Definitely enjoyed the story and the characters -- and of course Every British Actor who appeared in this. Not a huge fan of the main actress, but it's all good overall.
February 1, 2015
I enjoyed the movie, but Austen it was not. A way too energetic Fanny and some other interesting interpretations of the occasional word in the book make this quite the retelling of the original.
December 13, 2014
It's like Sense and Sensibility, if Sense and Sensibility was less lighthearted and perhaps more poorly constructed. Don't get me wrong, I liked this movie, I just had a couple of problems with it. There are several points in the film where the main character, Fanny Price, is reading letters that she wrote to her sister and they are only there to explain exactly what is happening to the audience and it rubbed me the wrong way. Thankfully it didn't happen too much though. I also didn't like the end of the film. It wrapped up way too quickly. I was honestly shocked when I realized the movie was ending. It felt like they tried to include too much content into too short of a runtime, and it was really noticeable to me. I would have definitely preferred a longer movie, as long as they used that time to develop what was happening more. This movie isn't without pros though. The acting and writing are both great and the cinematography was pretty decent as well. I imagine fans of Jane Austen as well as average filmgoers will enjoy it. 6.6/10
September 8, 2014
An entertaining pleasant charming film from Jane Austen that is exactly why she is such a revered author . A great movie to watch with the person you love and if you love witty language as rich as shakespeare
½ August 19, 2014
This is an extremely loose adaptation of Miss Jane Austen's famous novel. Fanny Price in the novel is portrayed as an insipid and cowardly young girl. In this film, she is an incredibly strong young woman who stands up to anyone who crosses her. My favorite character in both the novel and the film is Edmund Bertram played by the incredibly sexy and lovable Jonny Lee Miller. What I like about this adaptation is that it shows Edmund attracted to Fanny all along, which I felt was missing from the original novel. Mansfield Park is the most controversial of Jane Austen's novels and with the countless sexual undertones featured in this movie, you can see why. Arguably, since the novel and this adaptation have very few similarities, Jane Austen-enthusiasts may have a problem with this film.