Mansfield Park Reviews

• Sep 11, 2018

A period drama with a real cutting edge, delivers a superior offering with plenty to engage the senses and the mind. All perform well, the use of Lindsay Duncan as Lady Bertram / Mrs Price the sisters who married position / love was a master stroke and exemplifies the interesting nature of the production.

• Feb 28, 2018

The worst Jane Austin adaptation ever made. Only a person who never read "Mansfield Park" could ever think of liking this horrible, disgusting adaptation. Versions such as this one should be prohibited by law. Characters are totally unbelievable, the plot made ridiculous, and the main character, Fanny Price, totally altered. Jane Austin is turning in her grave.Everyone involved in making of this horrible movie should be deeply ashamed.

• Aug 28, 2017

The easiest way for a movie to get a strong recommendation from me is to either a) be filled with guns and explosions, or b) be based on a novel by Jane Austen.

• Nov 02, 2016

I love the story but not this adaptation as much. I didnt like Frances O Connor playing Fanny Price. Embeth portrayed Mary Crawford well but I didn't like the lesbian undertones. Hamilton was not attractive enough to play Maria. The brief sex scene was inappropriate and unnecessary for an Austen movie. The rape pictures were too intense for young viewers. Jane Austen should remain a safe haven for G rated audiences.

• Oct 20, 2016

Neither faithful to the novel nor the period, Patricia Rozema's adaptation of Jane Austen's "Mansfield Park" is entertaining, but not nearly as wholesome as it's expertly-written source material.

• Aug 12, 2016

Does Austen justice. Fine actress, acting, script,production, score.

Does Austen justice. Fine actress, acting, script,production, score.

• Jul 24, 2016

Jessica wanted to watch another Jane Austen inspired movie with me since the first one I watched did not appeal to me. That movie was "Love & Friendship". This movie was much better than the other. I enjoyed the two main characters and watching their romance blossom.The costumes and the sets were pretty fancy. After watching this movie, I am open to watching more Jane Austen inspired films with my wife. Pride & Prejudice & Zombies was pretty good hehe.

• Apr 24, 2016

I'm not a Jane Austin fan, that should be mentioned first. Not that I find her works boring but they simply aren't my cup of tea. I read Pride and Prejudice in a literary class, but it was a fairly dull experience for me, and I have never picked up Mansfield Park once. As a film, it is not even an eventful one. A kind of coming to age, rags to riches and back again kind of plot line. Although there were some beautiful settings and some extremely nice costuming, I never really felt that I was witnessing this period drama in the 1800's. I was trying not to laugh at most of the actors, taking themselves exceptionally seriously in roles that they obviously did not fit in. The main character was rather blasé at best. The morality of some of the characters were simply selfish, even when they were not trying to be, by simply trying to improve their social settings. By the end of the film, nobody had really changed, but just become more aged and experienced as one would expect. In the end, the women of the story overcome their respective obstacles and then it stops like an overly long bus trip. You need a meal and a nap at the end of this film. I would assume you have to enjoy Jane Austin novels to enjoy this film. If you are not into period pieces, give this one a miss. For me it was simply uninteresting. 2/5

• Apr 02, 2016

As a costume drama set in the Austen-era? Pretty good. As an adaptation of Mansfield Park? Not so much.

• Feb 16, 2016

While it sometimes veers far off the book, it is visually beautiful with a haunting score and addresses the serious issues of Austen's novel. This adaptation incorporates some of Austen's best quotes and outlandish short stories and delivers all the humor that is quintessential Austen.