10 Things I Hate About You - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

10 Things I Hate About You Reviews

December 7, 2017
Much better and funnier than i expected. Although i don't like the relationship between Patrick and Kat much, i love all the characters of the movie individually. It really brings out all the Shakespearean personalities and it gives great messages. And of course Heath Ledger is effortlessly charming.
½ November 29, 2017
cheesy and very boring
October 9, 2017
Perhaps my current age has a lot to do with a sappy, yet at times inappropriate, teenage film being my all-time favorite movie. Heath Ledgers sharp as a knife jaw line may make me bias. 10 Things I Hate About You explores the reality of living in a world where cliques and fitting in make up the entirety of your life. As a viewer, you are brought back to the 90's, when crop tops, scrunchies, and hair gel were all the hype. Although this movie was made a decade ago, as a younger audience member I find many similarities in teenage life now, as it was then. There are still cliques and people who care too much about how they look which makes this movie still so relevant in today's society. Although this movie is a blast from the past, the humor and character relations make the connection between now and then effortless. This movie is a must see for all.
The plot is quiet easy, and frankly, after watching the first twenty minutes you can predict the ending. Decoding some huge mystery isn't the main goal when watching this movie, but to understand the characters and laugh until your stomach hurts. Kat has grown the name of being quite the peer repellant due to her stern looks and pessimistic attitude. Sadly, for Bianca, Kat's sister, it is house rules that she can only date when her sister does. When the suave guy, Joey, at school has his eyes on Bianca, he goes to extreme extents to get Kat to date the said school juvenile, Patrick. Little does Joey know that Cameron, the new boy, is using him for his money to get to Bianca. Long story short, guy dates girl for money and ends up falling in love with her. It isn't the originality of the film that makes it a 10/10, it is how well executed it was.
Right from the opening scene, Kat pulls up alongside a car full of classmates whom look at her in confusion as she blasts music and scurries off. While Kat's introduction is more of a "beware" than anything else, the first glimpse at her sister, Bianca, is quite the opposite. Bianca's debut is in slow motion, paying close attention to her breath-taking skin and floral dress swaying in the breeze. The juxtaposition between both Stratford sisters becomes even more prevalent in the urgent desire to date Bianca and trouble finding someone compatible for Kat. While the images of the sisters come off very obvious, it is nice to have Michael breakdown all the other characters while giving Cameron a tour of the school.
Within the first ten minutes we quickly learn that Joey Donner is the playboy of the school. Those like Kat and Patrick, who don't seem to care about social image, are seen as outsiders. The commonality of there being one perfect type of girl and boy to rule the school hallways is debunked. Those on top find themselves at a loss, as those like Kat and Cameron get their happy endings. The only caveat to the film is the lack of reality. It would be awesome if all the bad people got what they deserved while all the nice people got a happy ending but that isn't always how it works. From the era, cast, and script, there is nothing huge I would change about this film.
While others may find parts like the motorcycle gone wrong scene as cheap, I find that it makes the film what it is, a romantic comedy. The romance of the movie is to be somewhat as expected. I mean come on, it's a movie taking place in a high school with a very attractive cast, what do you expect is going to happen? The scene at Club Skunk, where Patrick spots Katy in the crowd and can't help but smile, does help the audience predict the ending but how can you be upset at that? This is a teenage romance movie, it's going to have the ending you expect it to regardless. Characters like Mr. Stratford and Michael are seemingly in this movie for their quick jokes and overall humorous atmosphere. The comedic scenes added into this film convert what could be a sappy love story into one for the ages.
There aren't really any surprises in the plot of 10 Things I Hate About You which isn't something you can really be mad at. What can you expect from a teen romance movie? Of course, the nice characters are going to end up falling in love, while others wallow in their own tears, or hunch over in pain in Joey's case. The main goal of this movie isn't to change your life or inspire you to quit your job and backpack through Europe. The small goals of this movie are what make it so enticing. The simplicity in this romantic comedy make it travel well in time as it is still very much relevant today. This film should be seen as a coming of age story. There are so many things that younger generations can learn from a movie like this. This movie teaches self- worth and self-validation. We shouldn't forget about this film simply because of its age but instead cherish the important values it teaches those who watch it. From the humor to the award-winning cast, 10 Things I Hate About You still holds so much relevance in today's society.
September 24, 2017
Despite some anachronisms, 10 Things is a sweet and funny modern Shakespearean adaptation that benefits from the charming chemistry between Heath Ledger and Julia Stiles.
½ September 9, 2017
A good 90's teen comedy/Rom com. Starring a young Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger. It is pretty funny in places, I love sarcasm, one of the better high school set comedies but looking a bit dated now.
September 3, 2017
Such an easy to watch film.
August 12, 2017
I might be interested just bc it is a Modern day Taming of the Shrew which is written by Shaskspear. And I have seen the play.
½ August 10, 2017
Who doesn't want to see Heath Ledger sliding down a flagpole with a microphone singing karaoke to his #1 crush to the tune of Can't Take My Eyes Off of You? Funny, quirky dialogue sets this movie apart from the rest of the 90's teen fanfare. See if for nothing more than the school counselor trying to write a raunchy romance novel on school property.
½ July 31, 2017
This film holds up better than expected nearly 20 years later.
½ July 25, 2017
Even the ending might be generic and predictable and there's a plot hole, "10 Things I Hate About You" is a fun and original teen rom com and gives us, the audience, the pleasure to watch two inspired performances by Heath Ledger and Julia Stiles. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and David Krumholtz is one the most likable and carismatic duo in teen movies, their scenes envolving their arc are the most funny in the movie. Only Andrew Keegan irritated a little bit, lucky he doesn't show that much. But watch it for the protagonists though.
½ July 20, 2017
It's a nice little movie, with a couple of great scenes and some very sharp dialogue.
½ July 20, 2017
I think the actors did a great job. Larissa Oleynik, Julia Stiles , Heather Ledger and Joseph Gordon-Levitt . Did an amazing performance. The director is Gil junger. You can see it on the internet.
The movie is about this girl , her little sister, that is really popular,their " boyfriends" and a jock that wants to win the heart of bianca.
Personally I think the film is great . The story was great and the characters were great.
I recommend this movie to everyone !
July 15, 2017
i really want to watch it cuz its got heath ledger in it.
July 3, 2017
I will always have a soft spot for this movie. This is probably the only movie where I really liked Julia Stiles in. Heath Ledger and Joseph Gordon-Levitt also give really good performances as well. This movie is still worth watching even today...especially on date night.
July 3, 2017
The film is still likable after all these years and you can see why these actors moved onto bigger and better things. Ledger cemented the lovable rogue role and while Stiles almost steals the show, Levitt quietly shines in the supporting role. The sharp and clever script never hits a dull moment, the beats are razor sharp and the script never takes the low road. As teenage rom coms go, this is right up there and the acting from every actor is strong. It's a shame Ledger has passed as he had a strong presence that was shown in the films close to his death. This film gave him the first step to a bigger career and while the filmmaker failed to match anything remotely close to this film, this has definitely held up well so he created something special here. 03-07-2017.
July 1, 2017
i really enjoy watchin this film
June 18, 2017
Moderno e atual, mergulhada em uma esperteza e sinceridade verossímil. Heath Ledger é simplesmente mágico, não há nenhuma dúvida de seu talento. Sátira leve, misturada em proporções moderadas com um romance irônico, livre de demagogias recorrentes.
March 20, 2017
One of the better modern teen comedies