10 Things I Hate About You - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

10 Things I Hate About You Reviews

March 20, 2017
One of the better modern teen comedies
March 6, 2017
not as good as people make it out to be but not bad either
½ February 21, 2017
I have a real soft spot for good teen romantic comedies. I don't know why but there's still a sense of innocence to these love stories that captivates me. However, in my opinion 10 Things I Hate About You transcends its genre. Perhaps it's the fact that they gave the film a strong foundation by basing it on a Shakespeare play, or perhaps it's just the caliber of actors in the film. I'm not sure what it is, but I find this movie so entertaining. There's a lot of humor that is laugh-out-loud funny, particularly when Larry Miller goes to work. I also love how they make a number of jokes without calling attention to it. There are subtle things that happen in the background which are funnier because they let you discover it for yourself without needing constant terrible punchlines. The plot is elegantly constructed, and makes sense based on the personalities established for each character. The script is brilliant in the way it sets up those personalities without a lot of exposition. Most of the background character work is done through showing instead of telling, something that should be common sense but many modern screenwriters struggle with it. The film has 2 different romances that I find emotional and believable, which is 2 more than you'll find in many other rom-coms. I'm probably alone in taking 10 Things I Hate About You so seriously, but I think it holds up brilliantly, and I find watching it a delight every time.
February 6, 2017
There isn't much of anything to nitpick from this movie outside of having a predictable story, but the characters are so great that it doesn't really matter. It's funny, charming, and keeps you smiling throughout.
½ January 31, 2017
Pretty generic teen romance. I mean, not that I would know, but it just seems like I've seen it somewhere else. Over-reliance on love songs got annoying, but Heath was what kept me watching.
January 29, 2017
My favourite romcom to this date. I loved everything about it. From the acting to the plot (read script, the story is kinda old).
½ January 23, 2017
A genius plot and really funny and silly. I love it.
January 22, 2017
lovely, it made me cry
January 20, 2017
I love this movie and it's watch ability factor to it awesome movie to watch on any occasion.
½ January 4, 2017
though multiple plot points and character choices feel a bit forced, !0 Things I hate About You has a decent cast and a nicely updated script from it Shakespearean source material making for a fun 90's teen movie.
December 28, 2016
Not the average 90's teen comedy.
December 27, 2016
It took me a span of two weeks to finish watching this movie, because I had to watch it in chunks in order to emotionally process what was going on. The main character girl is stressful, because she tries to act a lot tougher than she actually is. The main dude was pretty annoying too, because he was so fake. But then at the end, Kat starts crying while reading her sonnet, and it just wrecks you, because you realize she is capable of wielding feelings. And then the main dude buys her a Fender guitar, so you learn to forgive him bc you can't really hold a grudge against someone who buys a Fender. Like WOW, that is a great quality guitar brand. Overall, a pretty good film to watch on a third or fourth date with your significant other
December 5, 2016
Ledger showcases his brilliant talent in this quintessential 90s high school comedy.
½ December 3, 2016
A charming movie. So much fun.
½ November 16, 2016
I feel like I'm too old for this movie. It's not an interesting movie to begin with so would definitely not recommend this.
November 7, 2016
Another review down the tubes, so here we go! 10 Things I Hate About You is a very entertaining teen movie, but it doesn't make me roll on the floor laughing as some other teen films do. What makes this film work is the relationships between the characters. Yes, this has a part to do with fact that this story is based on a Shakespeare play, but this film does a good job translating it to high school. These high schoolers seem real. Everything from mannerisms to the language they use. Sure some of it is cringeworthy, but I urge you to listen to some teenagers speak and try not to cringe yourself. Overall, this film is a good watch. It will leave you with a smile on your face!
October 24, 2016
Has some plot elements and a few characters that are very clichéd, but it delivers on great acting and hilarious humour. Might not be a masterpiece, but well worth my time! 3/5
October 21, 2016
This movie isn't perfect but it always puts a smile on my face