10 Things I Hate About You - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

10 Things I Hate About You Reviews

½ January 4, 2017
though multiple plot points and character choices feel a bit forced, !0 Things I hate About You has a decent cast and a nicely updated script from it Shakespearean source material making for a fun 90's teen movie.
December 28, 2016
Not the average 90's teen comedy.
December 27, 2016
It took me a span of two weeks to finish watching this movie, because I had to watch it in chunks in order to emotionally process what was going on. The main character girl is stressful, because she tries to act a lot tougher than she actually is. The main dude was pretty annoying too, because he was so fake. But then at the end, Kat starts crying while reading her sonnet, and it just wrecks you, because you realize she is capable of wielding feelings. And then the main dude buys her a Fender guitar, so you learn to forgive him bc you can't really hold a grudge against someone who buys a Fender. Like WOW, that is a great quality guitar brand. Overall, a pretty good film to watch on a third or fourth date with your significant other
December 5, 2016
Ledger showcases his brilliant talent in this quintessential 90s high school comedy.
½ December 3, 2016
A charming movie. So much fun.
½ December 3, 2016
There isn't much of anything to hate from this movie outside of having a predictable story, but the characters are so great that it doesn't really matter.
½ November 16, 2016
I feel like I'm too old for this movie. It's not an interesting movie to begin with so would definitely not recommend this.
November 7, 2016
Another review down the tubes, so here we go! 10 Things I Hate About You is a very entertaining teen movie, but it doesn't make me roll on the floor laughing as some other teen films do. What makes this film work is the relationships between the characters. Yes, this has a part to do with fact that this story is based on a Shakespeare play, but this film does a good job translating it to high school. These high schoolers seem real. Everything from mannerisms to the language they use. Sure some of it is cringeworthy, but I urge you to listen to some teenagers speak and try not to cringe yourself. Overall, this film is a good watch. It will leave you with a smile on your face!
October 24, 2016
Has some plot elements and a few characters that are very clichéd, but it delivers on great acting and hilarious humour. Might not be a masterpiece, but well worth my time! 3/5
October 21, 2016
This movie isn't perfect but it always puts a smile on my face
October 1, 2016
In this very popular comedy aimed at teenagers directed by Gil Junger, a student (Julia Stiles) is furious to discover her prom date (Heath Ledger) was bribed by her sister to invite her. But confusion reigns when he then falls for her.

Stiles gives a very good performance in her role as Kat, while Ledger is superb in his role as Patrick, and this would be his breakthrough role, meaning he would be one actor to look out for in the future because on this occasion he suits the role very well. There is good support to be had from Larisa Oleynik as Bianca, Stiles' sister who sets the arrangement up.

Junger's direction is very solid throughout and there are some really funny moments to be had, but the main thing is that the movie is funny all the way through. If you are a fan of Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew, which itself was made into a movie starring Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton, this you should end up liking this film. I did, because I consider it to be very funny, charming and pleasant to view.
September 26, 2016
Such a great movie. Love Julia and Heath in this movie.
September 8, 2016
I like the dad. The movie holds up even til this day. It also has some subtle jokes that might not catch the viewers attention which I appreciated.
August 31, 2016
Wow, everything a classic flick would offer!

All the cast are great actors, they fit well with their characters and it doesn't feel force or anything. The story's kind of cliche (because I have only watched it at this time of the year and it's been a decade!)

This is a very clean and fresh teenage romance classic flick I would probably still enjoy watching after a decade or more.
August 28, 2016
Wow, everything a classic flick would offer!

August 27, 2016
An incredibly enjoyable teen movie that throughout its cheese, has a message that it conveys well. The cast all give great performances with Ledger in particular stealing the show, that "I love you baby" scene in particular is hilarious, by far the best scene in the movie. The soundtrack is on and off for me, some of it works well while other songs make no sense at all to the scene. I love the nostalgia though.
August 26, 2016
Most underrated movie I've ever seen. I usually hate teenage romance movies but this one is pure gold. Heart-warmingly entertaining & very well acted out, 10 Things I Hate About you might feel like your typical adoloscent comedy, but something.. Something elevates it something more than that.
½ August 15, 2016
Great characters and a funny script kind of make you forget how dumb the plot is. Highlights (for me) included Allison Janney as Mrs. Perky and Julia Stiles drunken dance to Notorious B.I.G.'s 'Hypnotize.'
August 7, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: '10 Things I hate about you' is actually a lot of fun because it doesn't take itself too seriously, but still manages to build characters that we can connect to and care about.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Striking the balance on that though was always going to be tricky, and consequently this film can't get away from just how cringe-worthy it is, but in taking itself less seriously, it ends up fairly story-less too.
VERDICT: For what it is it's one hell of an enjoyable ride - even if it doesn't quite hit the right balance between emotional moments and spoof comedy.