Adaptation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Adaptation Reviews

June 17, 2017
Subverting the rules for creating a roadmap, is often the very path of affirmation of such rules. For in the end everything is just a process of adaptation.

The kaleidoscope of metalanguage presented in the film, are presented and used with mastery, either at the beginning of "Adaptation" which is linked to the term "Being John Malkovich", both directed by the distinguished Spike Jonze. Still on metalanguage, which is about an adaptation of a book to a cinematographic script, which is created simultaneously with the film itself, ie a film about itself, as a joyfully self-referential exercise of self-deconstruction. But it is also, more profoundly, a film about its own non-existence - a narrative that confronts both the impossibility and the desperate need to tell stories provokes our expectations of coherence, plausibility and fidelity to the reality lived.

There are variety of games presented in the film are dominated by the restlessness of knowing what is real what imaginary, what in fact thinks Charlie Kaufman, movie roter and what in fact thinks or thought Susan Orlean, when writing the book "The Orchid Thief "that inspired the film. What script rules are actually followed, ignored, and subverted? And that in the film are presented and worked through the figure of the writing twins Charlie Kaufman / Donald Kaufman (Nicolas Cage) and scriptwriter Robert McKee (Brian Cox).

So well adapted to this story are the actors, who in addition to acting are guides who invite us and lead us to organize the fragmentary data of the film. If in the figure of the twins writers we have two sides of the same man, and that in "Adaptation" is referenced like the opposites of the same figure of a policeman and a bandit, where both are complementary. If the script uses these two men to present the diversity of the same man, we have in Susan Orlean (Meryl Streep) the perfect adaptation of the divergences that fit in a single person, of how human and fragile and volatile and how the process Of adaptation of a person is not necessarily followed by completely philosophical or psychological questions, are in the measure, impulses of an immediate action. The character Susan surprises with her abrupt change in the end and unpredictability of her attitudes, though consistent, without script or construction failures.

The use of the pace in "Adaptation" is undoubtedly an important and necessary point to tell this story, Jonze with his experience in clips and series for MTV, was able to absorb the freshness of a stormy pace that assists in the complexity of moments lived by Charlie and Susan or in moments of lull and mockery of Donald's life as well as in the great final Match Point, a frenetic, accelerated jab of actions and images, but which unfortunately comes out too much, unnecessary, in trying to present solutions that lead to an outcome.

At first, Charlie's overly self-conscious and pseudo-intellectual crises are fun as we recognize the same tendencies in ourselves. So we also feel his yearning when he is so touched by a book that it looks like it could be the catalyst to kick him out of his narcissistic lifestyle. That is, until Kaufman reveals his great epiphany - that even after enlightenment, life is still cheap and dirty. What is not true or absolute lie, but turn into two hours of a film, where director and screenwriter apparently dialogues with each other and the public is the passive stance to accompany their discussions.
June 6, 2017
One of those dolls that open up and voila, there's another doll inside, and so on, and so on. Kaufman lacks a finish but boy, what a show until then! Exemplary performances in this curiosity that explores the idea of making yourself happy, dammit.
½ May 31, 2017
Adaptation is a great movie, is a great way of telling how Charlie Kaufman became himself, it always makes you think about what's real and what isn't real, and it has such a smart script
½ May 17, 2017
Interesting concept, poorly and self-indulgently executed.
May 10, 2017
I hated this when I first watched it. Over a decade later I gave it another chance. It's quite good and can't believe I disliked it so much
May 6, 2017
Levels and levels and levels of meta. And then some more levels.
March 29, 2017
Quite interesting but never astonishing.
SPOILER ALERT:
The main character laughs at the idea of using the multiple personality disorder motive or the serial killer motive in a screenplay because it is overused. Well, the movie itself uses the motive of a writer having a hard time producing his work and in the end writing about his struggles instead. Isn't this idea also a bit overused?
March 27, 2017
I love the actors, however I thought the movie was painful to get through. I was left feeling mentally dazed and confused.
March 10, 2017
SO META. But that's not a complaint.
Also bring back Nick Cage.
March 4, 2017
Had to watch it twice to fully appreciate it, like most of Kaufman's brilliant films. One of the greatest film writers of our time, period.
½ February 21, 2017
Spliced compartmentalisation.
½ February 3, 2017
A remarkably intelligent film that blends reality and fiction to make a humorous self-reflection about an author and his creative process, and it boasts some amazing performances (Nicholas Cage is excellent) and one of the most fascinating scripts I can remember.
½ February 1, 2017
About as meta as meta can get, it's hard to see where the film ends and Kaufman's struggles begin. It's original, funny, and patently Kaufman dark.
½ January 29, 2017
It offers an odd premise that may not be suitable for every kind of audience, but an incredibly smart script, an original idea and the always admirable direction of Spike Jonze makes for a delightfully weird ride, along one of Nicolas Cage's best performances in years.
January 28, 2017
Brilliantly clever! The recursive plot is a treat.
½ January 15, 2017
Loved it! Loved the characters, loved the whole idea! Adapt and change, adapt and change.....
½ January 6, 2017
Outstanding acting from Cage and Streep, a great plot with a fantastic and thrilling ending.
½ December 26, 2016
"You are what you love, not what loves you". Where do I even begin with this film? Being John Malkovich remained my favourite film from Spike Jonze ever since I saw it. This film has now taken it's place, and easily settles as one of my favourite films of all time. The notion of meta films is a hard one to appreciate, but this film is so very clever and bewildering. Don't believe me? Watch it! If you don't feel the same, the film covers that topic as well.
½ December 23, 2016
This was weird. Didn't liked it at all
November 19, 2016
Very good movie with an excellent plot with great acting by Nicolas Cage.