Adaptation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Adaptation Reviews

November 19, 2016
Very good movie with an excellent plot with great acting by Nicolas Cage.
November 18, 2016
Non avendo idee riguardo la sua stessa sceneggiatura Charlie Kaufman ci regala un film che descrive il suo tormento con una sincerità fuori dal comune. La storia di questo film è qualcosa di estremamente innovativo e usa un espediente narrativo che personalmente non avevo mai visto in nessun film. I personaggi sono interessanti e ben sviluppati, il film in generale è molto divertente e provocatorio e penso che la sceneggiatura sia una delle migliori che io abbia mai visto. Di sicuro uno dei film più particolari del ventunesimo secolo (finora) che merita di essere visto da tutti gli appassionati di cinema.
½ November 5, 2016
saw it when it came out, in theater. As i recall i found it very confusing. And the writer in the movie supposedly wrote the movie Being John Malkovich, which IS a real movie?
October 28, 2016
This movie is tons of fun for just how meta it is. I love the way Charlie Kaufman's mind works. While it's not his best, and I think I like it a little less than other Kaufman fans seem to, it's still very very good and well worth watching.
October 25, 2016
Delightful and exciting. I won't properly judge this film until I've seen it a dozen times. Which I intend to do.
½ September 10, 2016
Indelibly creative. A film that incites metacognition... thinking about thinking. A script inside a script. A story of love, frustration, jealousy, drive. It'll make viewers grab ahold of their loves, then hug them, appreciate them, notice them for once. Altruism is good, but sometimes a little self-regard is necessary. Cage and Cooper sweep the stage clean.

---
9/10/16 UPDATE
I still cannot tell if Kaufman's oeuvre's common thread of loneliness is an outgrowth of something deeply personal to him or someone else; after all, every interview proves again his charisma and warmth and amity. I suppose that Donald, propped next to his inward brother in a wet swamp, captured the pic best: "It was mine, that love. I owned it. Even Sarah didn't have the right to take it away. I can love whoever I want."
La Roche at first loved his greens, then a woman, then whatever it took to harness that woman's love, even if it means robbing life of another, something he before so protected of his orchids. Not everyone can be a Donald -- and thank God for that (bad jokes are "good" because of their very paucity). But I think that he had the optimal approach to life: do not listen selectively but rather exhaustively, and do selectively choose which of these listenings actually affect your being, and which to tell, Fuck off.
August 27, 2016
Post-meta-absurdism starring Nicolas Cage.

Slightly less entertaining than Being John Malkovich or Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind, but possibly ever more philosophical, clearly working off of a similar mindset that would result in Synecdoche New York.

If absurdism or post-modernism interest you, you'll love it.
August 22, 2016
Exceeding his previous hit "Being John Malkovich", Spike Jonze's "Adaptation" is another successful genre blend with an equally strange screenplay and a superb trio of performances.
July 20, 2016
Another fantastic Spike Jonze and Charlie Kaufman film. Excellent across the board.
July 17, 2016
One of my top 10 favorite movies of all time.
July 8, 2016
I went in thinking this was going to be one of those movies where an author writes things and the things they write come true. Like Simon, the chalk drawing boy but shedding hair into a typewriter. You have to forgive me, but the blurb printed on the back of the movie's case is very misleading in that respect. It's not about an omniscient author, it's nothing but a very long thought piece on nebbishism. It's almost comedic in some spots. The first third starts off and stays very boring, and then it suddenly dawns on you that the movie is either going to end abruptly or it's going to go on for a very long time. You almost feel a second wind coming on, as your brain fires up trying to figure out and predict how exactly the author expects to save this sinking ship of boredom in an interesting way. The author does not manage to do so. The film just gets cheaper and cheaper as the ship sails further out into the harbor. It comes across as overdeveloped and yet completely unfulfilled. It tries to say profound things but chokes on a glass of its own piss. You start off feeling like maybe you've finally got the actor Nicholas Cage figured out -- maybe there is some method to his choices of what to act in, and maybe there is some tow line that drags all those movies safely back to harbor -- but by the end of the film you're just wondering why the movie was even made to begin with. 3/5
June 29, 2016
And with that I have now seen all of Spike Jonze's films.
April 30, 2016
Remarkable film-making and realistic performances.
½ April 30, 2016
At one point during his career, Charlie Kaufman attempted to adapt the novel The Orchid Thief to no avail, largely thanks to writer's block. Adaptation follows an exaggerated attempt of Charlie Kaufman attempting to adapt the novel The Orchid Thief to no avail, largely thanks to writer's block. The film, if you haven't guessed by now, is impressively meta, and that results in a very unique product, to say the least. There's two halves to this story: the half dealing with Charlie and his brother Donald (a fictional character created for the film) is the kind of intellectual material you expect from Kaufman, but the other half dealing with Susan Orlean (author of The Orchid Thief) and Jon Laroche ("the orchid thief") is strangely lacking in emotion or any compelling elements, really. This results in a product that feels weirdly inconsistent, not to mention lacking focus. Nicolas Cage is astounding in a dual role as both Charlie and Donald, and really proves his acting potential. Same goes for Chris Cooper, who does well with the material he's given in the aforementioned lesser half of the film. Meryl Streep, on the other hand, is mostly emotionless; it's hard to tell if this is Streep's performance or the character herself, but it's just lacking in a way that you don't expect from someone like Streep. For all of its faults, Adaptation is a special little film, and is definitely worth watching.
April 30, 2016
Adaption. (2002) ????
Wow. I mean wow! Best. Movie. Ever. Okay maybe not, but it's still pretty good . . . if you thought BEING JOHN MALKOVICH was original (and it was) wait and see what other amazingly inventive goodies the widely imaginative Spike Jonze has up his sleeve. Try to understand this: a strange but brilliant screenwriter tries to devise a screenplay based on a book about flowers. But you'll have to watch it you really understand it. Cage, playing two roles, is simply superb, and the screenplay has an unbelievably complicated (but fascinating) subtlety about it (watching it feels like the movie knows you're watching it, and shows off its genius, almost with ease). Best of all: It's not cynical! Chris Cooper won Supporting Actor Oscar, but where's Cage's award?
½ April 22, 2016
This unusual comedy-drama is both strange and quirky in the way that it presents itself as a film, involving a clever screenplay with two interwoven parallel stories. Once I adjusted my mind and clicked into the film, it was interesting and offered a few golden moments where the characters were speaking to themselves and divulging their inner vulnerabilities and secrets. But unfortunately this wasn't sustained and the last section of the film saw a marked change in plot and momentum, resulting in B grade film plot points verging on the improbable and the ridiculous. 1001
April 6, 2016
Spike Jonze once again delivers exactly what you'd expect from Spike Jonze--the unexpected. There's a lot to chew on in this movie. This movie goes to show that Nicholas Cage is a good actor sometimes.
April 3, 2016
one of my favorites!
February 13, 2016
I imagine it's the best movie about screenwriting ever written. Nicolas Cage plays screenwriting twins. One of them has writer;s block and talks about what the script shouldn't be. He's left with nothing. Don't miss the scene when the voice over betrays the aciton on the screen. We believe what we see over what we hear.
½ February 2, 2016
The ending was unexpected, I thought it was genius!