Adaptation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Adaptation Reviews

½ April 20, 2017
Adaptation is a great movie, is a great way of telling how Charlie Kaufman became himself, it always makes you think about what's real and what isn't real, it's has such a smart script
March 29, 2017
Quite interesting but never astonishing.
SPOILER ALERT:
The main character laughs at the idea of using the multiple personality disorder motive or the serial killer motive in a screenplay because it is overused. Well, the movie itself uses the motive of a writer having a hard time producing his work and in the end writing about his struggles instead. Isn't this idea also a bit overused?
March 27, 2017
I love the actors, however I thought the movie was painful to get through. I was left feeling mentally dazed and confused.
March 10, 2017
SO META. But that's not a complaint.
Also bring back Nick Cage.
March 4, 2017
Had to watch it twice to fully appreciate it, like most of Kaufman's brilliant films. One of the greatest film writers of our time, period.
½ February 21, 2017
Spliced compartmentalisation.
½ February 3, 2017
A remarkably intelligent film that blends reality and fiction to make a humorous self-reflection about an author and his creative process, and it boasts some amazing performances (Nicholas Cage is excellent) and one of the most fascinating scripts I can remember.
½ February 1, 2017
About as meta as meta can get, it's hard to see where the film ends and Kaufman's struggles begin. It's original, funny, and patently Kaufman dark.
½ January 29, 2017
It offers an odd premise that may not be suitable for every kind of audience, but an incredibly smart script, an original idea and the always admirable direction of Spike Jonze makes for a delightfully weird ride, along one of Nicolas Cage's best performances in years.
January 28, 2017
Brilliantly clever! The recursive plot is a treat.
½ January 15, 2017
Loved it! Loved the characters, loved the whole idea! Adapt and change, adapt and change.....
½ January 6, 2017
Outstanding acting from Cage and Streep, a great plot with a fantastic and thrilling ending.
½ December 26, 2016
"You are what you love, not what loves you". Where do I even begin with this film? Being John Malkovich remained my favourite film from Spike Jonze ever since I saw it. This film has now taken it's place, and easily settles as one of my favourite films of all time. The notion of meta films is a hard one to appreciate, but this film is so very clever and bewildering. Don't believe me? Watch it! If you don't feel the same, the film covers that topic as well.
½ December 23, 2016
This was weird. Didn't liked it at all
November 19, 2016
Very good movie with an excellent plot with great acting by Nicolas Cage.
November 18, 2016
Non avendo idee riguardo la sua stessa sceneggiatura Charlie Kaufman ci regala un film che descrive il suo tormento con una sincerità fuori dal comune. La storia di questo film è qualcosa di estremamente innovativo e usa un espediente narrativo che personalmente non avevo mai visto in nessun film. I personaggi sono interessanti e ben sviluppati, il film in generale è molto divertente e provocatorio e penso che la sceneggiatura sia una delle migliori che io abbia mai visto. Di sicuro uno dei film più particolari del ventunesimo secolo (finora) che merita di essere visto da tutti gli appassionati di cinema.
½ November 5, 2016
saw it when it came out, in theater. As i recall i found it very confusing. And the writer in the movie supposedly wrote the movie Being John Malkovich, which IS a real movie?
October 28, 2016
This movie is tons of fun for just how meta it is. I love the way Charlie Kaufman's mind works. While it's not his best, and I think I like it a little less than other Kaufman fans seem to, it's still very very good and well worth watching.
October 25, 2016
Delightful and exciting. I won't properly judge this film until I've seen it a dozen times. Which I intend to do.
½ September 10, 2016
Indelibly creative. A film that incites metacognition... thinking about thinking. A script inside a script. A story of love, frustration, jealousy, drive. It'll make viewers grab ahold of their loves, then hug them, appreciate them, notice them for once. Altruism is good, but sometimes a little self-regard is necessary. Cage and Cooper sweep the stage clean.

---
9/10/16 UPDATE
I still cannot tell if Kaufman's oeuvre's common thread of loneliness is an outgrowth of something deeply personal to him or someone else; after all, every interview proves again his charisma and warmth and amity. I suppose that Donald, propped next to his inward brother in a wet swamp, captured the pic best: "It was mine, that love. I owned it. Even Sarah didn't have the right to take it away. I can love whoever I want."
La Roche at first loved his greens, then a woman, then whatever it took to harness that woman's love, even if it means robbing life of another, something he before so protected of his orchids. Not everyone can be a Donald -- and thank God for that (bad jokes are "good" because of their very paucity). But I think that he had the optimal approach to life: do not listen selectively but rather exhaustively, and do selectively choose which of these listenings actually affect your being, and which to tell, Fuck off.