The Gathering Storm - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Gathering Storm Reviews

January 30, 2017
viewed on 22/9/04 (Wed)

It is a much lauded TV movie at Emmys and the Golden Globes. The cast list is very impressive, Vanessa Redgrave, Albert Finney, Tom Wilkinson and Jim Broadbent. The performance is flawless and so are the production values. I am looking forward to WIMBLEDON which is directed by the same director. Another biographical epic.

I do have a small gripe. What is the central focus of the movie? The loving relationship of Winston Churchill and his wife? Then why the title is THE GATHERING STORM which seems to imply more than a romance. If it refers to the growing power of Hilter's army planning to conquer the world, then the romance is a big distraction. When Winston is busy convincing his party and the PM that their ally Germany is planning another world war, he has to grapple with jealousy when his wife is on a holiday with another man. Maybe to let us see how insecure Winston Churchill can be when he is so sure in his political stand? Then what about the subplot of another character who feeds Winston with highly classified information and has a spastic child? It seems like more is planned to say about him and his family. It never really does. Not to mention the total omission of Winston's daughter who dreams to dance professionally towards the end of the movie.

Now, I may sound like I am complaining alot but I am, as I said earlier, very pleased with the performances and the production values. I am willingly to forget the hiccups in the storytelling.

Rating: B+
½ July 3, 2016
A well-made biopic that gives us a look at a different Churchill than historical footage shows and succeeds on the strength of its cast.
½ June 10, 2016
Albert Finnney, Vanessa Redgrave and a stellar cast give life to this tale of Churchill's darkest hour--trying to convince the British people and leadership of Hitler's evil intentions.
½ November 18, 2013
A passable movie but there are a ton of reasons why this was underwhelming. I think the biggest issue I had with this was that it covered too much of Winston's personal life without showing much of his political career. Some people might like that. The film only covers his time as a member of parliament and ends before WWII gets underway.
August 28, 2013
Brilliant in every way! Superb acting, true historically, a visual feast of authentic locations and costumes. Wonderfully written, filmed and realized. One of the best historical dramas I have ever seen, but then I've loved Finney since Tom Jones and Vanessa is beyond comparison. Beautiful, moving and inspiring.
August 4, 2013
Barnstorming performance from Albert Finney who without any prosthetics is a like to Churchill as one can possibly imagine Churchill probably was. Allegedly, Lady Soames commented the likeness was uncanny. It's no Lawrence of Arabia but in it's own way this film is a masterpiece.
June 30, 2013
This is a brilliantly made movie, which brings a perfect list of cast, including the wonderful Albert Finney, Vanessa Redgrave, Jim Broadbent, Linus Roache, Lena Headey, Derek Jacobi, Tom Wilkinson and the amazing Tom Hiddleston as part of the cameos!
½ March 16, 2013
Finney's performance is phenomenal. The American PC crowd should watch and absorb the events in this film that led up to WWII.
½ October 12, 2012
A thumbnail sketch really of the days in Britain during the rise of Adolph Hitler and the difficult rise of the man who was to prove to be his fiercest foe: Winston Churchill. The principals enliven this light sketch, and mostly Finney as the grand old codger himself. Good ensemble work by the entire cast though.
TheDudeLebowski65
October 5, 2012
The Gathering Storm tells the story of Winston Churchill's rise in the political arena in the 30's. In this film you see how Churchill was really the first to understand that Germany was on a path to war and he tried to warn the British government about the threat of Nazi Germany. This is a stunning work that was followed by a sequel, Into the Storm. Both films had two different actors playing Churchill Albert Finney plays the role of Winston Churchill in this one, and he delivers something unique in the portrayal of this iconic political figure. This is a well crafted biopic, but you do see it could have been a little better due to the fact that it covers important moments in Churchill's career. I feel the filmmakers could have emphasized a little more on Churchill's rise, and added more depth to its plot in some areas. However the film is very good and the slight imperfections are redeemed by Albert Finney's impressive performance. This is a must see for history buffs or anyone interested in Winston Churchill. Despite its imperfections, there are enough good things about this film to make it entertaining. As for its sequel, Into the Storm, it is a slightly better film because it tells Churchill's finest moments during the Second World War If you watch this film, check out its sequel as both films deliver an interesting portrait of the most interesting, and dashing political figure that is Winston Churchill. Brilliant picture that is a terrific biopic and really is a must see for anyone looking for a good biopic to watch.
September 3, 2012
viewed on 22/9/04 (Wed)

Rating: B+
½ May 1, 2012
Finney and Redgrave are superb as the troubled but loving couple of the tale, and Whitemore's script does a good job of keeping hero worship to one side, with the film being more concerned with the depression of a man forsaken by his peers than it is any embellishment of the legend. Shows a side to the man many will not have been aware of, and his eventual success is all the more impressive for seeing it.
February 29, 2012
In "The Gathering Storm", Finney brings Churchill to life with a superb representation of the man as an aging member of parliament, husband, father, friend, and man of the manor Chartwell in the decade prior to WWII.
½ February 4, 2012
Focusing on the months before Churchill became PM, the audience can see what a strong-willed and visionary man he really is. Great insight into his life.
January 27, 2012
This is just a great portrait of a complicated public figure. All performances are top-notch!
½ January 15, 2012
Perfect portrayal of a great man; an important part of historical storytelling, but showing the personal side of Churchill.
½ April 18, 2011
Albert Finney makes a very good Winston Churchill. Given the gravity of the storm that was approaching this television film is quite a slight affair but is still very well made, has a great cast, touching screenplay and is interesting throughout.
January 25, 2011
Albert Finney is an amazing Churchill.. The way he speaks, the way he transformed his body and mannerisms, you actually believe you're watching the real deal.
April 14, 2010
albert finney totally nailed the character of churchill. fantastic portrayal of the years before the war and chuchill's fight to get the rest of the world to realise that hitler was a threat. .