The Ringer Reviews

• Sep 28, 2020

It's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. This is one I would normally write off when I heard what it was about but I gave it a chance. And I almost gave up on it early on but the middle and end were better than the beginning. Some people are calling it offensive but I disagree. It's predictable and not really that funny. I probably wouldn't watch it again.

• Aug 29, 2020

Very enjoyable, funny and heartwarming, The Ringer is a great feel-good movie for everyone to enjoy and it also gives us a great message.

• Jul 01, 2020

Unique and funny really enjoyed it

Unique and funny really enjoyed it

• Jun 28, 2020

Story/Screenplay: (3/5) Completely politically incorrect, but some of the lines in this story made me chuckle. Duration/Tempo: (3.5/5) At 1 hour and 34 minutes, it's a short movie that felt about the same. Cast & Crew: (4/5) Katherine Heigl was excellent, lightening the feel of a comedy that risked being in poor taste only. Johnny Knoxville was good, as was Brian Cox. Summary: (3.5/5) The story was OK, but the cast was very good and significantly improved a film that consequently felt short. A borderline thumbs up.

• Apr 08, 2020

The Ringer is a comedy, but it's not just laughs. It's also a very good movie.

The Ringer is a comedy, but it's not just laughs. It's also a very good movie.

• Feb 26, 2020

The movie was funny. If you are sensitive to special needs then you may not like it but there are a bunch of special needs actors in this movie that seem very in tune with the subject. It can seem defensive towards special needs but i don't think it means harm. Just trying to make an informative movie.

• Nov 16, 2019

A hysterical comedy.

A hysterical comedy.

• Jul 26, 2019

You get the accessional laugh but this movie hasn't aged well.

You get the accessional laugh but this movie hasn't aged well.

• Mar 17, 2019

The film does a good job at showing people who have disabilities in a good light and not a bad light. It has a really good message at the end and Johnny Knoxville had good intentions making the film. The Farrelly did a great writing job and it is not like one of their obnoxious comedies like Dumb and Dumber or Osmosis Jones.

• Jul 15, 2018

This movie is kind of odd in the direction it takes. I'm sure a lot of people wrote it off after just hearing the concept of "Johnny Knoxville pretends to be mentally challenged", believing that it was a movie mocking the mentally disabled. However, it bends over backwards to not be offensive towards the mentally retarded, so much so that it's actually to the movie's detriment, as weird as that sounds. I don't mean that to say that the mentally retarded should be mocked, but that the movie has this tone of being so worried about being perceived as mocking that it misses opportunities to be funny. Also, Johnny Knoxville is not a good enough actor to sell a lot of the beats he's given, and he's paired with the completely wooden Katherine Heigl, so the romance and emotional beats fall pretty flat. Brian Cox was the standout of the movie and it's too bad his character wasn't in it more.