India Song - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

India Song Reviews

June 15, 2013
"Anne-Marie Stretter avait rencontré Michael Richardson lors d'une soirée donnée au bal du Casino de T. Beach dans la ville de S. Talah..."
½ August 13, 2012
Plays very much like a ghost story, but Duras exhausts her technique, so that the film doesn't just become about repetition but is repetitious. Better more for the things it evokes (Fitzgerald, Ophuls, Weerasethakul) than for what it is.
½ November 27, 2011
India Song is actually the first movie this year that I actually walked out on. It's a movie with no plot nor character development. The movie only contains rich french aristocrats in India standing in one posture after an other just standing there quietly. There's no dialogues nor doesn't the characters speaks, it's just voice overs saying what the characters are suppose to say without the character move their mouths. And you don't get anything out of the character, just stupid poems about Indochina. In other word this movie isn't a movie it's pure poetry and I'm against movies not being movie by taking shapes as other medias.

The reason I decides to give it one half star is because there's a part when are man is screaming in pain and horror that I really related to him and took the hint and just walked out of the movie knowing that I've done the right thing by leaving. It kind of reminds of the norwegian art movie Dis which can be describes just like India Song, with a lot of meaninglessness poetic voice overs, and it's on the IMDb's bottom 100 list. Why isn't India Song on that list?
½ May 29, 2011
I think the end of the copy I watched got cut off, only adding to my general confusion as to what the hell anyone was talking about.
½ June 1, 2010
While a very easy film to dislike, India Song is nearly impossible to criticize (aside from its underlit exteriors, which really don't much matter) due to its wildly unconventional structure. This is clearly a film comparable to something like Last Year at Marienbad, in that its narrative is a puzzle to be cobbled together from its stream-of-conscious visuals and narration. Long scenes of dwelling upon images, slow dancing, dreamy music...imagine the atmosphere of the Red Room scenes of Twin Peaks were transported to India.

This film works wonderfully if you're on its wavelength. It doesn't even matter that the plot's your typical "Madame Bovary" story of an unhappy wife and her tragic affairs. The execution is pure cinema.
½ May 12, 2010
"I came to India for India Song"... well, I went to India Song looking for great art... this is a dividing film - a love it or hate it film. In India Song people dance, talk without their lips moving, all lines are poetic, a song continually repeats itself - are these ghosts haunting a long forgotten place? Certainly drawing on influences from Resnais, Duras' film is beautifully shot and themes of alienation and class differences in a foreign land abound. Despite all the efforts and unique style of filmmaking, I found the film to be utterly tedious and pretentious. I seem to be, however, in the minority regarding my opinion on this film.
½ April 9, 2010
Als würde man einem melancholischen Lied zwei Stunden lang beim Verklingen zuhören. Oder: Wie eine vollständig abstrahierte, der letzten Narrationsreste entledigte Variation auf L'ANN?E DERNI?RE ? MARIENBAD. Weitestgehend tiefgefroren in sich selbst kreiselnd, lediglich mit einem gespenstischen Ausbruchsversuch - der sich dann, eine schrecklichere Lösung ist kaum vorstellbar, in den Zyklus des ewig Wiederkehrenden einfügt. Ein Geisterfilm, eigentlich, über die Gespenster des Kolonialismus. Konsequent, hypnotisch, formal makellos.
½ January 7, 2010
Boring and utterly dreadful. I think we're meant to learn something about romance, but it's as if it was written by a 15 year-old girl who knows nothing about romance. There's more to being in love that just talking about being in love and how much it tortures your soul. Points for a somewhat original narrative (although it's blatantly influenced by Resnais) and some painterly images (which you will have a LONG time to study), but otherwise a real drag.
½ October 7, 2008
Malheureusement ça ressemble parfois à une très longue pub de vêtements de luxe. On en oublie le magnifique texte, surtout si on s'endort un peu...!!
½ October 4, 2008
Souvent chiant, mais parfois trs beau!
September 23, 2008
Visually captivating mood-piece that moves forward with snail-pace. This is a rare piece of visual poetry that is in itself a hallucinatory daydream. It is a film that will leave you with many questions. Try to let it just wash over you. Let the wonderful soundtrack put you in trance and flow with the words and music. Only then you are able connect with this film.
½ September 19, 2008
I saw this film years ago. I was fasinated by the mirrors and the shadows. The music was great
August 19, 2008
A voir et revoir pour saisir tout l'univers durasien
August 18, 2008
"Chan-son, toi qui ne veux rien dire, toi qui me parle d'elle, et toi qui me dit tout..."
½ August 16, 2008
Tres beau film sur le temps, l'espace et la parole. Il faut passer la premiere demi-heure pour entrer vraiment dans son rythme singulier et se laisser emporter par le flux verbal qui alimente les images.
April 24, 2008
hi
d oyou have indian new song for
½ April 10, 2008
half stars, or five. Hard to decide. Fell asleep watching, and that is rare for me in normal screening situations...
April 3, 2008
Duras shows how not to make art cinema. A few interesting ideas, but nothing CINEMATIC.
January 9, 2008
Excellente and BEautiful!!the best cinematography i ever seen. it shame that cant get hold a dvd .. is soo rare and im soo lucky and able to see in the special cinema.
i think its the best for me
November 19, 2007
Delphine Seyrig comme dans un rêve, M Lonsdale magistral et sur cette petite musique ....