13 Assassins - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

13 Assassins Reviews

August 4, 2016
A very beautiful film about the sunset of samurais
½ July 19, 2016
It started well enough, but just got too unbelievable and silly in the end. If you watched everything else and have two long hours to waist, then this is the movie for you.
May 13, 2016
The last samurai meets the kill bill crazy 88 scene, meets 300.
May 4, 2016
"13 Assassins" is gleefully absurd as it is violent, the plot (and who will live and die) is glaringly obvious, and how little we know of the assassins is disappointing, but this film was a hell of a lot of fun to watch!
March 13, 2016
What a spectacular love letter to the genre.
March 9, 2016
With more realism than one would expect, you witness a showing of the grand theme of honor: the Japanese way.
½ February 26, 2016
So that kicked ass. Definitely very traditional, like an exceptionally crisp looking 60's nihon eige.
½ February 20, 2016
A good film for fans of samurai movies; a far better movie than 'The Last Samurai' set in a similar time period.

Themes include honor, duty, and sacrifice.
½ January 30, 2016
having to sit through 3/4s of a film with just confusing names, places, and traditions that none of us understand or can follow to just see a last 1/4 section of mostly just random sword swinging with one of the most cheesy villains around- kinda leaves you with a "meh".
½ December 27, 2015
Horrible! HORRIBLE MOVIE! Total waste of time
½ December 26, 2015
Perfect film from beginning to end that fleshes out idealism, honor and the conflicting culture of feudal Japan. The action is unrelenting in a good way as it captivates in the way it is filmed and the inventive ways of violence. The story structure has great character development despite a simple premise and it transcends the barrier of a Japanese samurai film and becomes a great film. 4.5 out 5 stars
½ December 13, 2015
Besides the stunning set pieces and atmosphere, 13 Assassins has a ferocious energy to it and an excellent cast that elevate it to become a very powerful and rewarding story of justice. The action scenes are electrifying and the costumes are amazing.
December 9, 2015
It started very disturbing. I thought story development is kinda slow yet interesting parts by parts. I love the whole revenge thing, one scene that really caught my eye is when that poor lady wrote down using her mouth and quote "Massacre". I felt furious about it. And the villain is one of the most hated villain I've seen. I fucking hate that guy so much I want to ram his face into the ground. I kinda like the character development although you will never memorized each one of them. One of the flaws in this film is the last battle, I mean they kinda over did it a bit with some CGI stuffs and over the top action scenes at some point. But overall it is one of the best Japanese Samurai films since Zatoichi and RAN. It has some epic proportions that we will never forget.
November 28, 2015
81%
Saw this on 28/11/15
It starts off pretty well with a dark theme not quite seen in Samurai films and a devastating villain, however, it could have done away with a bit more of plot and a lesser resemblance to Seven Samurai. It has some fantastic cinematography, some violent non-stop action. The CGI could have been better. Like 7 samurai, it's also difficult in here to distinguish some of the assassins mostly because of a lesser character development.
October 4, 2015
Now this is some truly great filmmaking that propels this movie to instant classic status. Great action, storytelling, acting, tragic, heroic, etc. It's just all here!
½ September 19, 2015
Pretty good. Although I finish the movie asking myself what was it all about. People died, 40 minutes of sword fighting. A really decent villain. But I really cannot answer the question of what the movie was about. Yes there's the typical absolute power corrupts absolutely but what does the movie have to say beyond that? The director is an extremely violent one but also rather thoughtful. I was hoping that perhaps his themes could shine a little brighter in this movie.
August 12, 2015
While highly stylistic and masterfully choreographed, 13 Assassins does not deliver anything extraordinary in terms of plot and narrative. One may argue that this is a film with excuse plot for stylish massacre.
½ August 11, 2015
The last half of the movie is comparable to the House of Blue Leaves massacre in "Kill Bill" and Takashi Miike does not execute it at the expense of the movie's characters and thrills.
½ August 1, 2015
Much predictable and brutal. Just some action movie in which 13 guys kill by hundreds ...
July 31, 2015
An effective modern update of old-school samurai flicks.