1969 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

1969 Reviews

½ April 15, 2015
This falls under the title a good solid family/friends drama.....surprisingly profound with good performances.
February 17, 2015
Deadly boring and trite. In closing; it's your funeral.
September 18, 2013
The creator of golden pond makes his directorial debut with a cast of rising stars Robert Downey jr. ,Kiefer Sutherland and wionda Ryder dont need to tell you what year the movie set in :-0 about people and war good performances from the rising stars but it's more like watching a tv movie !
½ April 25, 2013
I dont think that I have seen all of this but it doesn't matter as it sucks badly.
December 19, 2012
Good actors and soundtrack in this sort of mediocre movie
½ September 11, 2012
Entertaining. Not very profound: covers ground that has been covered before, and is a tad idealistic. Still, good story, with good performances.

Features Robert Downey Jr and Kiefer Sutherland in their early careers and Winona Ryder in only her 4th movie (previous was Beetlejuice, next was Heathers...). Great supporting cast: Bruce Dern, Joanna Cassidy, Mariette Hartley.

Excellent soundtrack.
½ June 13, 2012
Just about anything with Keifer I would watch!
March 28, 2012
Kiefer Sutherland has glasses!!! LOL. I couldn't even help myself; I had to laugh every time I saw him. Otherwise, this movie is interesting. I'm not going to agree with the whole 70s protest thing, but I can definitely agree with not wanting to be forced to go to war by being drafted. I thought both Kiefer and Robert did a great job in this movie. Winona, well she was just her usual self. :P
½ August 20, 2011
Scott: If you flunk out and die in Vietnam, that's the end of our friendship, fuck you, you know.

"The year a country split apart and a generation came together."

1969 is a Vietnam film that focuses on what was going on in America as opposed to what was actually taking place in the war. It deals with two college students and friends who are against the war and want to avoid being drafted at all cost. That's why they went to college. The movie also deals with their families and how the war affected family and their community.

The movie really isn't good  at all. It takes every little chance it gets to pour as much melodrama on us as possible. Bruce Dern is horrible and Winona Ryder is awful(and I normally like her). Robert Downey Jr and Keifer Sutherland are decent, but they both have sone way better work since. I like the story, but the movie seems to be lacking in every other category. The dialogue between the characters is horrible. A best thing about the movie is it's soundtrack. Bands such as Cream, Jimi Hendrix and Buffalo Springfield are included in it; helping make the 60's setting a little better.

While I can't really say I liked 1969; I can't say not to watch it either. It's not a completely worthless movie; just one that never becomes as good as it could have. It does have 2 or 3 scenes I really loved, but other than those few scenes, every other one felt like it was missing something. I'd only recommend this to huge fans of Keirfer or Robert. If you're not a huge fan of either of them; it's really not worth the time.
April 27, 2011
Two buddies from a small town in Maryland witness first hand the turbulence of the 60's as the war hits home for both kids. While eveyone in their sleepy town is oblivious, the two young men begin experimenting with drugs, growing their hair long, and protesting America's involvement in Vietnam. Much to the dismay of their parents. But a series of events will turn everything upside down and shake the town and this two families apart.

A very young Robert Downey, Jr. and Keifer Sutherland are phenomenal and gives us that glimpse of what we would later see in their long and great acting careers.
February 23, 2011
Another 80s movie that looked back at the 60s. This one has a great cast, a pretty good late 60s feel, and a realistic story. I liked it.
January 26, 2011
This shows a different side to the Vietnam war than we usually see. It takes the viewpoint of best friends evading the draft by going to college. It shows a lot of the protests and anti-war feelings, even within the family of a soldier. Kiefer Sutherland and RDJ throw out some truly solid performances and provide very different characters. They're not just filling in a running time, but trying to show that there was just as much going on stateside during the war.
November 5, 2010
½ September 8, 2010
Sentimental, but I like it.
August 11, 2010
"My sister Beth had all the brains in the family but...I'm ugly, sooo it all works out."
May 15, 2010
Let's see...how do I rate a movie that has no intrinsic value, whatsoever?

This movie stars a plethora of Hollywood A-Listers, even though at the time, they were virtual unknowns. The acting is solid, after all, you'd expect no less then that from Robert Downey, Jr., Kiefer Sutherland, Bruce Dern, and Winona Ryder.

The soundtrack was phenomenal. You can't have a movie about the rebelliousness of the 1960's without the staple background music. And it's all here: "Green River" by CCR, "All Along The Watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix, "We Gotta Get Out Of This Place" by The Animals, "White Room" by Cream, "Time of the Season" by The Zombies. It was deathfully apparent, however that somewhere in the licensing of all of these great songs, they forgot to hire someone who would stop anachronisms. This movie is not only bad with them, it's RIDDLED with them!

Three of the most telling:

A 1977 model-year car is seen (not in the background) but SMACK IN THE FOREGROUND of the opening sequence.

H&R Block who didn't have the logo used on the sign in the street sequence until 1985.

Palmetto Tours ferries Scott's brother to the Army, but that would be impossible, seeing as how that bus line (a subsidiary of Greyhound) operates only in South Carolina - The Palmetto State. This movie takes place in Maryland.

There is also a feeling hanging over this film that just isn't right. I find it VERY hard to believe that Scott wouldn't take acid or smoke weed. It was that era, and he's playing it straight? Hardly. That defies logic.

The ending also does not feel right. I can see Scott's dad making amends with him, even forgiving him to a degree, but for such an old-fashioned person, with strong military ties, to just drop everything that he holds dear and fight for the opposition? To even hang out with and be part of a demonstration? That just feels wrong.

So, basically, I have given this film 3 of 5 stars. It's soundtrack saves it from being a total waste, it's actors also do a fair amount. I can not forgive movies that have glaring anachronisms, or incorrect historical vibe. Like most critics when the movie came out, I neither like nor hate it. It's there. So it gets the middle of the road rating.
May 1, 2010
I love this movie. I love everything about it: the actors, the time period, the setting, everything. LOVE.
March 16, 2010
I checked this little known movie out because I am a big fan of Kiefer Sutherland and although it might not be his best I am glad I did. It has an interesting story and I especially love the scene between Kiefer and winona ryder when she tells him he is beautiful and his reaction is so sweet and played really well. At first he is flattered because he always liked her to just would never admit it so he is happy that she feels the same way and then he turns humble. He becomes humble when she then says that he is the most beautiful person she has ever met(his caring passionate nature towards others really shown through to her by this point) so he quickly responds that she hadn't met that many people yet to feel that way. such a cute scene and to me their relationship makes this otherwise run of the mill story stand out as a sweet romance wrapped in a war story. also I think he proves himself as a great friend to robert downey, jr. obnoxious character because noone else would of dealt with him and stood by him though his craziness!
½ February 28, 2010
Love the Downey acid trip and the Downey sandwich-making scene.
½ February 14, 2010
A pretty straightforward anti-war movie with a lovely cast.