24 Hour Party People - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

24 Hour Party People Reviews

May 24, 2016
The style works, but sadly it runs out of energy long before the end of the film.
March 16, 2016
Brilliant, innovative telling of the Madchester story.

The story of the emergence of Manchester as a major musical centre in the late-1970s and 80s. The story is told through the eyes of Tony Wilson (played by Steve Coogan), Grenada TV presenter/journalist, owner of The Hacienda, a famed Manchester club, and founder of Factory Records. We see the where it all started - the Sex Pistols first gig in Manchester and the emergence of bands like the Buzzcocks and, most importantly, Joy Division. We see how New Order formed from Joy Division and later we meet the Happy Mondays...

Wonderfully entertaining yet edifying. It helps if you're into bands like Joy Division and the Happy Mondays, as I am. Even if you're not, it is worth watching to gain a better knowledge of musical history and the importance of what took place in Manchester in the 80s.

This movie could easily have degenerated into a dry, linear history lesson. However, director Michael Winterbottom keeps the audience engaging and entertained through many innovative methods: breaking the fourth wall, humour, Wilson's narration and some interesting visual effects.

As you would expect, there is a lot of music in the movie, and it is all great. Well chosen and timed too, as the music gives the movie its momentum.

Solid performance by Steve Coogan in the lead role. While mostly a dramatic role, there are quite a few comedic moments, and Coogan is in his element there. Good supporting cast too.
½ January 17, 2016
Missed this one. Great movie.
November 17, 2015
The best British film of the 00s. A cracking cast Lennie James, John Simms, Steve Coogan as Tony Wilson, but stand out performances from me came from Paddy Considine as Rob Gretton, Danny Cunningham as Shaun Ryder, Peter Kay as Don Tonay and Gollum as Martin Hannet. Unlike Sam Riley in 'Control' Sean Harris looks nothing like Ian Curtis, but he does pull of his stage presence. Love the recording of 'She's Lost Control', the methadone and the airport scene, the Happy Mondays tour bus and Don Tonay and Wilson in the mobile knocking shop "Put that on your TV show".
½ November 8, 2015
I did enjoy this alot but someone who isnt a fan of joy division/new order/manchester in general or simply enthusiastic about the musical history of this time, may have a job appreciating this film. Steve Coogan is superb.
½ March 16, 2015
must see za nau?it' nastanak nekih bendova i sli?no, interesantno snimljeno, dobra ekipa
February 1, 2015
When it's about Tony Wilson it's great. When it's about the bands it's boring.
January 4, 2015
Pretty good movie, had some very funny parts, I liked the style, it had some good music. But it was very disorganized.
August 18, 2014
Puts you right into the Madchester scene of the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Very original, with the only conventional element being that it is moderately chronological.
July 24, 2014
A decent biopic, but not quite what I was expecting - which is neither good, nor bad. Coogan's good, but has been better since and the documentary-style hand-held camera doesn't always work, except when Wilson (Coogan) breaks the 4th-wall to give you a glimpse into the 'future', seeing as the first 30min takes place in the late '70s. The film almost works as a Joy Division/New Order and Happy Mondays biography, with some other - drugs, music clubs - aspects thrown in around them. It's not particularly funny, although it has some humourous moments, and is more a partially-non-fictional musical journey through two decades of Manchester music & culture.
July 22, 2014
Very entertaining. I didn't know about the music scene in Manchester so I found it all interesting. Great performance by Steve Coogan.
July 20, 2014
Nice mix of stock film and actors to show the growth of the music scene in Manchester from the mid 70's to the mid 90's. I think the thing that hit me the most was either that 42 people were at the first Sex Pistols show and that many included a lot of future band members or that the Factory Records did not own anything at all really as the artists retained almost everything themselves. Kind of shows you how really cool ideas and movements might not be the most sound business models which are necessary to survive overtime. Very enjoyable even if you're not a fan of this music scene.
May 31, 2014
Feeling nostalgic for the Manchester music scene? Check out this flick!
April 28, 2014
Directed by Michael Winterbottom, who at the time had done a Thomas Hardy adaptation with Jude (1996), a war drama with Welcome to Sarajevo (1997) and another Hardy adaptation with The Claim (2000). Winterbottom got a deal at United Artists, and for his next film, made something very personal and close to home, the tale of the Madchester scene, and it's his best film. Set between 1976 and 1992, it tells the story of Tony Wilson (Steve Coogan), a journalist for Granada Television, who hosts a local music show called So It Goes, but he wants to support local musical talent, and with friends Alan Erasmus (Lennie James) and Rob Gretton (Paddy Considine) starts putting on local bands at a club owned by Don Tonay (Peter Kay). From this, the bands Joy Division and A Certain Ratio gain publicity, Wilson starts Factory Records. After the suicide of Joy Division's front man Ian Curtis (Sean Harris), Joy Division become New Order, and Factory sign The Happy Mondays and open The Hašienda. It's a brilliant story of how, for a brief moment, Manchester brought forwards some brilliant talent to the musical world, and the film is a love story to Manchester too. Coogan has fun as Wilson, and the film plays with conventions and storytelling too, it's unconventional, but that was Factory's way of working. A classic.
½ April 16, 2014
So my buddy, who loves music, suggested we watch this movie and I wasn't for sure what I was in for. I did enjoy the film quite a bit and really liked how it broke the 4th wall (often times I dislike this, but here it worked great). Steve Coogen was great in this and really carried the film. I actually learned a lot about punk and new wave music and how it started in Manchester. Overall a pretty entertaining film that I enjoyed for the most part.
April 6, 2014
a journey through the madness of manchester... best music docu-film ever!
February 24, 2014
Joy Division and New Order are fantastic.
½ December 29, 2013
Didint know a think about the manchester music scene before seeing this film. I have never seen a movie shot like this, its 2/3 biopic and 1/3 doc with real people mixed in with actors and characters stopping the film to explain the films take on the historical events. It works and i still enjoyed it even though i don't know much or have much interest in the events. the only band ever to survive the death of its lead singer.
½ October 9, 2013
A near perfect film about the music business through the eyes of someone who set out to destroy it with music.