2 Days in the Valley - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

2 Days in the Valley Reviews

February 17, 2018
Managed to put off watching this notorious 90s cult film for 28 years and sadly wish I could have held out another 28 at least. 2 Days in the Valley is just bad, falling under the category of post-Tarantino, Pulp Fiction wannabe, 90s trash that is as obnoxious as it is stylized. This film reminded me so much of another clunky, lesser known crime indie that came out around the same time called Jerry and Tom Starring Sam Rockwell and Joe Mantegna. Both films are annoyingly lame because ironically they try so hard to be cool, and apart from cool, neither film knows what it wants to be. Much like Jerry and Tom, 2 Days in the Valley isn't funny, dramatic, or even remotely interesting despite the game cast involved. 2 Days in the Valley squanders its hefty list of heavyweight players who at the time were in their prime and had hit their cinematic peak. The biggest atrocity committed in this movie was the misuse (or lack thereof) of Jeff Daniels. His slow burn portrayal of a ticking time bomb detective is spot on but he only gets maybe three real scenes to own before his character's story comes to an abrupt, unsatisfying end. On the upside, the legendary Danny Aiello is pretty amusing to watch as a bumbling, out of practice, nice guy hitman who spends majority of the film fumbling with his toupee. Oh, and we also get to see Charlize Theron naked, and I'm saying that as a cinephile not a perv because it was her first nude scene ever which makes it a part of cinema history... plus she's hot.
January 26, 2018
I just saw this, long after it was made. I loved it! It was quirky and fun. I just finished reviewing all the SAG nominees and needed something like this. Everyone had a great performance. I loved how the characters intertwined sometimes unbeknownst to them. Watch it!
August 1, 2017
I liked this movie way more than most people did. I thought that even though this movie has a LOT going on in it, that it still flowed well and kept me very interested. I have always been a fan of Teri Hatcher and Charlize Theron, so to see them both in the same movie together was a big deal for me. I would certainly recommend giving this a try, even though it is not perfect.
½ July 22, 2017
Could have been good, but ultimately falls short.
July 19, 2016
After the success of Pulp Fiction loads of these type of crime flicks surfaced in the mid to late 90's. The cast is great in Aiello, Daniels, Stoltz and a menacing James Spader. A double twitch off Hatcher and Theron (the latter gets the charlies out) some good black comedy and although it is enjoyable, some 24 hours later it is somewhat forgettable.
½ April 29, 2016
Under-rated combination of early Tarantino and latter-day Robert Altman, with satisfying results. The premise: a few days in the San Fernando Valley where cops, crooks, failed writers and innocent civilians mingle with one another during various plotlines that all become intertwined. The writing is clever, the performances on point, and the Hollywood satirical undertones are a near-perfect companion to the overall feel of this spontaneous gem.
½ April 24, 2016
This clever story kept me intrigued throughout by bringing its characters together in unexpected ways, leaving me wondering what could happen next. The villains are perfect - both terrifying and weirdly attractive - and the sort-of good guys had me wishing for a happy ending. It's thrilling, humorous and strangely romantic. A shame it doesn't have a higher rating.
January 10, 2016
Great sex scene. Fun and action packed violence.
½ April 27, 2015
I love a well done black comedy and this ones done well.
½ March 25, 2015
Surprisingly good Thriller-Sexy-Comedy with plenty of stars
December 23, 2014
great satire movie !!!!
October 12, 2014
I get what they were trying to do. They were trying to be clever having multiple plot lines tie up
June 23, 2014
I like this movie but it wasn't my favorite BUT James Spader was super sexy in this movie.
June 6, 2014
It gets put down a lot by being a archetype of the "Pulp Fiction" rip-offs that came out in the late 1990s, but even though it is that, I still thought it was a fun ride.
May 12, 2014
Even with a seemingly impressive ensemble, this just isn't a very interesting or engaging film.
March 10, 2014
Insignificant copy with Spader being the main attraction.

March 2, 2014
good low budget thriller in this look at the various 'types' living in the SFV
February 16, 2014
A good movie perhaps with too many characters. It was not enough thrilling in my opinion. And I felt like sometimes there was no point made. But good nonetheless (not bad anyways).
½ January 5, 2014
James Spader's makes a memorable villain. This movie has humor and a decent crime story. Characters are treated as real, each has turmoil. This was one of the first movies that started pulling me away from caring about the budget size of a movie.
January 1, 2014
A very good, and often overlooked crime thriller, featuring excellent performances from its solid cast.