33 Postcards - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

33 Postcards Reviews

May 25, 2014
I LOVED this film! Just saw it on Prime Amazon Instant video . I don't like fluff superhero blockbusters but , instead, true unique story-telling. This gripped my heart from the beginning and loved watching a sad , orphaned girl open up a lost soul prisoner. Truly touching story!
December 3, 2013
Touching movie that takes you in a different direction than you might not expect. While the story is unlikely, the characters are interesting and you care for them.
½ August 29, 2013
Endearing story of a Chinese girl meeting her sponsor and finding out life isn't as expected. I do question the pacing. It seems a lot happened in what was only three days.
May 16, 2013
Not a review but a correction: Rotten Tomatoes has conflated Hong Kong actress Pauline Chan Bo-Lin with Australian actress/director Pauline Chan. Please fix this.
½ May 13, 2013
just does not work as a movie
April 26, 2013
male chars are ok..but that girl.. she looks 40.. and she behaves like a retard.. come on
February 27, 2013
Guy Pearse is really very good playing these quirky characters. The story is a bit predictable but the telling is excellent and the premise unusual and contemporary. Worth checking out.
½ February 9, 2013
Decent low budget movie, but the version I saw had no English subtitles and there were quite a few parts throughout that are in Chinese.
½ November 12, 2012
Rating - 5/10

It has been a couple of months now since I watched this film and the details are quickly fading. Guy Pearce plays an incarcerated man wanting to turn a new leaf. He has sponsored a Chinese orphan for several years, making up stories of his picture-perfect life in Australia. When the orphan, Mei Mei, is sent on a trip to Australia with her world-famous children's choir, she is determined to meet the man she owes so much to. Naturally, some trouble ensues. Mei Mei unwittingly gets swept up into the criminal lifestyle that led to her sponsor's arrest. The film tries to be hard and gritty, but it comes off as a bit too contrived and predictable.

On the whole, the performances aren't awful, but the story is lacking in realism. When a film is meant to be a real life drama and it comes across as far-fetched, the audience loses faith. I know I did.
September 3, 2012
Fantastic view of what happens when a young innocent is let loose in a society that is foreign to her - very sweet if not a little low budget
½ August 13, 2012
Guy Pearce sends postcards to this girl in China pretending to be a park ranger but he's really in jail for killing someone. It was okay I guess.
½ August 11, 2012
A diamond in the dust of a film. A naive Chinese orphan girl, sponsored by an apparently wealthy and successful family man in Australia ( Guy Pearce) gets a chance to visit Sydney as part of her Orphanage choir. The father figure sponsor is not what she expected with a complicated criminal background. Although the tale is simplistic the structure and concept add an innovative twist on human decency and the pressures of corruption . Well worth a watch.
½ February 5, 2012
A sweet movie, and although the plot strains credibility a bit I found it enjoyable.
December 8, 2011
Excellent. After recently watching 'Hanna', here is a far more credible tale of a naive teenager let loose in a society she doesn't really understand. Mei Mei is noble and decent, where Hanna was feral and manufactured. The story is fairly gritty, full of criminality and violence, but it's not gratuitous, and the characters are well fleshed out. A good one.
November 29, 2011
it's just ok. not deep enough. quite disappointing.
November 10, 2011
This movie is very under-appreciated. When I walked out of the cinema couples were asking "Why aren't the other cinemas showing this!?!".