42nd Street Reviews

• 6d ago

For a musical the song numbers were dull and uninspiring, the humor fell flat, costumes lackluster, acting mediocre except the old star she was good, and the plot was oh so predictable. Its ur typical backstage story of a big broadway production thats very forgettable. The ending picked it up a little bit but you can see much better productions in old films like the Great Ziegfeld. The only black ppl in the film were ur stereotypical yes umm Aunt Jemima types. The old star of the show obvi slept her way to the top with rich old men, but that is quickly glossed over and a weird billboard for asbestos goes across screen at one pt. Several shots of women's legs. Got to love how old films don't realize how inapprop they are and thats not good when that's the highlight of the film.

• Mar 14, 2019

42nd Street feels a bit like A Chorus Line but the G-rated version. I thought it was great that they set the stakes early for why this musical needed to succeed. Any drama we feel in the climax is because they did such a good job in these early scenes making us care about the success of Pretty Lady. They also establish a number of potential female leads so I wasn’t sure who would be the central protagonist at the end, which was an interesting way to set up the story. However, what I didn’t like as much about the film was how unfocused it was through most of the movie because they are trying to follow around too many different people connected with the musical. I started to lose track of who was who and who was dating who, and all those kind of crazy details. But when they all returned to the stage and got back on track with the production, I was interested in the story all over again. I love live theater, and movies about it tend to be movies I enjoy. 42nd Street also had the benefit of the amazing Busby Berkeley. While it is kind of weird how his movies stop everything in order to do these elaborate song and dance numbers, at least here it made sense. The big numbers at the end are marvelous to behold, because he does so much to coordinate a troupe of dancers to make something that approaches visual perfection. It might have been a slight delay in reaching resolution for the story, but I didn’t care because I was watching in awe as they danced. I lacked a complete connection to the story in 42nd Street, and the songs themselves didn’t blow me away even when the dancing did, but it had enough enjoyable elements to keep me entertained.

• Feb 25, 2019

Amazing for 1933 in its tempo, arrangements, and songs. The big test is do you feel better after seeing this movie? In this case, it all works, and the answer is a resounding yes. 42nd Street was to lead to dozens of other musicals, most not quite so artistically successful as this one. This is the standard by which every follow up had to be measured.

• Jan 05, 2019

The movie that made Ruby Keeler a star and featured Busby Berkley's ground breaking signature choreography. Although much of it seems a bit hokey now, the dancing sure holds up as do the songs! A cast of people who would one day be very famous pull it off!

• Oct 12, 2018

A solid, fun look at musical theatre.

A solid, fun look at musical theatre.

• Mar 05, 2018

Hokey and dated - but boy is it swell when they get to those closing numbers! The precursor to the Hollywood musical and to the even more spectacular Broadway musicals of the '40s and '50s. Ruby Keeler may not shine as much as in some of her later works, but this is definitely near the top. A great supporting cast.

• Jan 15, 2018

1001 movies to see before you die and another lost flixster rating.

1001 movies to see before you die and another lost flixster rating.

• Dec 16, 2017

Classic everything: chorus-girl-becomes-star, hoofing, Busby Berkeley, and appearance of Ginger Rogers.

• May 13, 2017

Great movie with great cast. Full of glorious cliches - "The show must go on". The songs and dances are not to be missed. A must see rating.....

• May 10, 2017

I think the titular 42nd St. must run right through DULLSVILLE, AMIRIGHT?!?! Other than the impressive stage sets and the (finally) exciting final number, this is a standard and fairly unremarkable love triangle / showbiz drama...that has an uncomfortable obsession with women's legs.