56 Up Reviews

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Mar 31, 2019

This chapter makes for an always engaging look at middle age, even though there is not so much novelty here since 49 Up, especially as it feels that Apted is not that interested in exploring some issues more deeply (like when he barely questions Tony about his unconscious racism).

• Jul 01, 2017

Super bra dokumentär! "The original concept was to interview 14 children from diverse backgrounds from all over England, asking them about their lives and their dreams for the future. Every seven years, renowned director Michael Apted, a researcher for Seven Up, has been back to talk to them, examining the progression of their lives."

• Aug 20, 2015

Holy shit! Grandchildren the age they were when this started. HOW IS EVERYONE'S BRAIN NOT EXPLODING?! That's too much, man. Nick and Suzy conversation was perfect. They finally get it. Everyone is everyone. I'm sad this is the last one I can binge watch, and I hate the fact that I'll be 5 years older by the time another one comes around.

• Jul 09, 2015

A continuing of the groundbreaking documentary series. As enthralling as the rest. Please keep making these! This one is interesting bc it comes at the time when technology has changed a lot and economy and government. U r also starting to see health issues among some of them and more deaths of parents. Their children are all grown up a lot of them with their own kids. It seems everyone is more comfortable in their own skin. Makes u reflect on ur own timeline. Thank u participants! Can't say enuff about these documentaries!

• May 22, 2015

My first viewing experience of this 7-year Up documentary. I'm impressed by the vision of the project. However, not all the subjects are interesting enough to be followed.

• Apr 18, 2015

This series is perfect, though each episode isn't great on its own

This series is perfect, though each episode isn't great on its own

• Mar 08, 2015

An amazing experience I don't know about watching each part separately, like 7 up and 16 up and so on. But as one, two hour long film that captures each of the interviewed characters in diffrent parts in there life as they grow up from 8 to 56 is a weirdly great two hour meditation on life itself. Through movie critic Roger Ebert, who got a whole new wave of fans after his documentary Life Itself, which I admit is how I came to know about this film, that moment in Life Itself- in his hospital bed in that film he talks about the film as he talks to someone while hold the disc in his hand, since I kept my eye out for it and not surprisingly it was a brilliant presentation of not necessarily the whole spectrum of lives or emotions or mental psyche of its stars whos' lives are rolled out on screen one by one from a black and white film as innocent kids to who they have become today. There's no way I can remember all the peoples life stories, especially since this is the first time seeing them or being tolled there stories in one quick but holding flow, but what I will do is tell one of the many peoples' live's that I found very interesting. One of the kids (Neil Hughs) goes through life almost completely homeless, getting a place to stay here and there- but the most bewildering part is the guy seems although a little bonkers, he also seemed over-whelming intellectual, at least with his words as scenes of his talks with camera. From a child in school to a young adult in a dirty, pealing wallpaper apartment and years later in a baron stretch of country obviously hitchhiking, looking rather warn out. He was admitted but he felt the treatment was not moving fast enough and felt going it on his own would be a faster treatment to his weird nature, although not at all a proper medically correct second option, he is still well spoken for a jobless guy who wants to be in politics, who really waste it away eventually when the film catches up with him he is in small community as a councilor for the towns political committee, still living kinda'rough but found a sustainable solace in the friendship in the people, but clearly still not at peace- with no partner nor a real purpose or job. An amazingly mind changing view as a fairly under-accomplished 17 year old, this films people, not necessarily there full felling or views are let out through the camera but enough to relate or complex your own views on life, I felt I needed to get off my ass while watching with these people who do more then I, who also don't reach those goals as old age catch's up with them, yet some or most find something in the the lifestyle they live,.. not at inner-peace like a monk but content enough. They are fine almost all with there current circumstances. An admiral documentary with an even more admiral goal to achieve- by capturing these peoples' beings every 7 years, can't wait for the next one hopefully then I also will find something to reach as goal, or maybe this site will explode. In any case a life-documentary that question it's viewer more then the lives it shows us.

• Feb 15, 2015

I am hoping that this is the last one of the series as it will be difficult to see these folks get truly old. If nothing else, the changes in ideology, esp of the folks who were at an upper crust boarding school, are good to see.

• Dec 08, 2014

Everyone is settling down into older age and looking back, but it's still a grand experiment.

• Oct 13, 2014

Magnificent and there's nothing really complicated about it. It's just interviews with people as they grow older.