A Dark Song Reviews

• Sep 01, 2019

This movie IS disturbing, but it is DISTURBINGLY STUPID AND PRETENTIOUS. The only good thing about this movie is the cinematography, which was ok. The ritual was stupid and pointless. The writers just wanted to draw some circles and triangles and letters and expect them to make some sense. At no point did I gave a damn about the characters. The guy who performed the ritual was pretty much an asshole. The end of the movie made absolutely no sense and was so pretentious. All of those positive ratings are extremely inaccurate.

• Aug 23, 2019

Occult folk horror done right. Its careful pace, two outstanding leads, and ambiguous story culminate in a truly unsettling and captivating experience. That music.

• Jul 30, 2019

Totally overrated movie. Average to say the least. Believe the critics. A few good parts than just don't stand alone. Poor, thin script, bland characters (only the woman delivers convincing acting), poor ending. A movie that deserves a score of no more than 35%. I gave 1½ stars for the effort.

• Jul 15, 2019

Quite good, excellent score and other stuff. Felt compelled to write this as at a certain point in the movie that is a scary bit, there is a SUPER high pitched ring pulsing, and then held throughout. If you have sensitive hearing, this will hurt, and it doesn't really relent until the scene is over. It's around 15844Hz (thank you Spectroid). Just FYI

• Jul 13, 2019

This movie was beyond screwed up, but the ending was magnificent and exactly what you'd almost hope to expect. I was extremely unsettled and uncomfortable with most of the dialogue between actor and actress, but for two people to hold almost an entire movie is something in and of itself. Super interesting concept.

• Jun 02, 2019

So beautiful, I'm in tears

So beautiful, I'm in tears

• Jun 01, 2019

"A Dark Song" isn't a horror film, but instead a drama that's laced with horrific elements. The deeply meaningful message is one that I, unfortunately don't think most will grasp, which is why the opinion about the entire film is so divided. Oh well. Anyone with knowledge of or experience/training in psychology will get it. And for them (all of us)...it's a happy ending, despite our tears.

• May 29, 2019

Fantastic movie. Absolutely loved it. While it has only superficial connections to the actual Abramelin Operation (as outlined in the more authentic translation by Gerog Dehn - and not the wrong one by Mathers) the film still captures the essence of the build up needed to achieve the altered states of consciousness and the revelation of one's Holy Guardian Angel at the end.

• Apr 29, 2019

I love all the ritual stuff. It lends a very spooky atmosphere, not to mention the house, to the story. Watching the female character struggle to get to her final request can be difficult if only because action people probably want big stuff to happen throughout. But I found it worth the repetition because the rituals themselves were cool and the tiny hints of breaking through made me want to keep watching. The final scene is incredible.

• Apr 10, 2019

Incredibly slow burn that ultimately leads to a very unsatisfying ending. I don't know what is going through these "critics" minds to give this dumpster a 92%.