A Dog's Purpose - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Dog's Purpose Reviews

½ October 22, 2017
It's all sniffles. So it turns out that the animated feature was wrong, because when dogs die, they don't go to heaven, they actually get reincarnated. This is about one dog over several lifetimes, trying to understand what he is on this Earth to do. I love dogs, and I have always had a giant soft spot for our canine friends (I still don't know what man ever did to deserve dogs). They bring joy into our lives, so of course this movie was on my radar. This isn't a movie that is going to live throughout the ages, but for what it is, I do think it is surprisingly effective. Now this film had an unfortunate backlash against it when footage surfaced of the German Shepard being coaxed into the water when she clearly didn't want to go for a swim. This is TMZ footage (like it usually is), and it was shut down pretty quickly when it was realized that the dog wanted out. It's not enough for me to write off the movie, and that is me speaking as an animal lover (I even think the footage may have been edited to make it look worse than it actually was). This movie is basic. It is simple as can be, and it is stereotypically wholesome. There's nothing really special about it. But it does have an intangible quality about it that makes you feel positive. I don't know if you have pets, but if you're like me, sometimes you talk not TO your pet, but FOR your pet, and you end up developing their own distinct voice and personality. Well, imagine that happening for every major life event for your dog. The voice of all these dogs is Josh Gad, and I think he does a very good job. I would say ratio wise, whenever he talked, I cried more often than not. I thought Megan Leavey left me an emotional wreck, and while I do think that that movie is a better made film, A Dog's Purpose quite honestly made me cry more. It ends up playing like a series of vignettes, and it keeps it moving along at a good clip because it is broken into segments. It also doesn't hurt that all of these dogs are as cute as can be, and you get to see every single one of them as puppies. A Dog's Purpose is very, very cute, and it's worth a watch if you are a dog lover.
½ October 16, 2017
The dog in this movie is really cute and loved by their owners however it made dogs look really dumb... Which honestly is truly sad.
½ October 14, 2017
A real emotional tear jerker. A nice feel-good movie but some of the acting was a bit off. Still a great movie.
October 4, 2017
A very sweet movie. I cried a lot. The acting and script are just ok. But all the dogs are adorable and the storyline was pretty good.
October 1, 2017
Moving and creative.
½ September 30, 2017
Passable fare for kids and sentimental adults, "A Dog's Purpose" is by the numbers, manipulative schmaltz.
September 29, 2017
If you are a dog lover, you will cry...For 1.5 hours straight.
September 25, 2017
Rating: 36%
Blatantly manipulative and overall boring, A Dog's Purpose squanders a promising cast and its respectable source material with unnecessary fluff.
September 25, 2017
The film is so sad its too sad, the sadness is just thrown into the audience face constantly, i cried so many times but its beautiful.
½ September 25, 2017
The constant voice over is annoying. Af.
½ September 22, 2017
Very Interesting Movie!!!=) It had four different stories and owners of some many different kind of dogs.
½ September 21, 2017
good movie makes you wonder what is going through your pets mind
½ September 14, 2017
A tear jerker especially for dog lovers. True evidence that all dogs have good innocent hearts.
September 14, 2017
The Critics that says this movie had animal abuse during the making of it REALLY need to go do more research.
½ September 13, 2017
Heart warming, touching and really sad, also the perfect film for dog lovers.
September 12, 2017
Best movie ever I cryed through the whole thing, just leave meh alone
½ September 10, 2017
after what they did to the dog in this movie they should go to hell
September 9, 2017
Let's put it this way:

If you love your dog, this will make you cry.

Movie is so well done ??????
September 7, 2017
sad but happy in the end feel good movie
September 6, 2017