A.C.O.D. - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A.C.O.D. Reviews

September 6, 2016
30 1 2014 3 9 2016
June 21, 2016
Not very many people know about this film but it was pretty funny. A man (Scott) is unknowingly part of a study on children of divorced parents and is contacted to help with a follow-up study years later. Lots of great comedic actors in this one. Richard Jenkins does an outstanding job in this film.
½ June 16, 2016
I didn't watch the whole thing; I skimmed it for the Amy Poehler, Catherine O'Hara and Jane Lynch bits. Didn't care about the main character, but the aforementioned ladies pulled off some cool characters. Something about this just missed the mark, and it's hard to discern what. Maybe the stakes weren't really high enough and the family not dysfunctional enough.
June 9, 2016
Surprisingly not too bad
May 28, 2016
An original approach on talking about the effects of divorce on grown up relationships. It was funny and insightful, but not enough meat to make it a great movie.
½ May 3, 2016
I think that this film does have something to say about what parents divorcing does to their children, if they ever had any, once they grow up. Perhaps it doesn't go about it in the best way possible, as I found that the movie struggled to maintain a consistent tone. Parts of it felt like it wanted to be a goofy comedy and parts of it felt like it wanted to be something that was a little more insightful and smart. And it's that, to me, what really holds the movie back a lot. I'm not saying that this is a bad movie, because it's not, there were a lot of parts that I liked about it and I'm not afraid to say that. Of course why would I be afraid to say that, but whatever. The point is that, at its worst, the film just misses the mark on what identity it wanted to put forward. At its best, it's a sporadically entertaining film with a damn good cast. Adam Scott, Catherine O'Hara, Jane Lynch, Richard Jenkins, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Amy Poehler, etc. That's a top-notch cast right there and they sure as shit do their best with the material they've received. It's just that they can only do so much and when you have a script that doesn't know what it wants to be, I think that ends up holding the cast back more than it helps them. Because they're juggling all these different ideas and tones the film wants to get across and they don't really know how to unravel all the mess to make something out of it that makes some sort of sense. You know what, as much as the film has something to say as to what divorce does to the kids of that divorce as they grow up, I think the film has far more insight into the real effects of what divorce does during the post-credits stuff. The post-credits stuff is, basically, interviews with the crew of the film and asking them if they were a child of divorce or not and this is, probably, one of the better aspects of the film. And that might sound like an insult to the film I had just watched, but it's really not. But there's something to be said about just hearing the stories from people who actually went through with it as opposed to it being bogged down by certain elements of the script. And you get to see how, really, a incredibly high percentage of people who came from divorced homes, as it were, are far more cynical regarding marriage than, say, people who grew up in homes where the parents were happily married. And I can relate to them, at least the 'children of divorce'. My parents were never together. It was more of a fling, but, as much as my mother did for me and how grateful I am for everything, I think the fact that she was never with my father in an "official" fashion has sort of, also, shaped how I view relationships and marriage. That's inevitable, in my mind, and I think the credits capture the effect that has on the people who grow up with divorced parents and how they view relationships when they become adults more than even the film did. But, since this was a post-credits deal, I ca't really count it as part of the movie nor can I let it affect my score. With that said, this isn't a bad movie, as I mentioned, it's just one that doesn't really know what it wants to be. Everything in the movie is decent, at best, but none of it, outside of the cast, is good. So I can't really recommend it. You can do worse, for sure, but there's nothing special about this, sadly.
½ February 24, 2016
Waste of time, nothing is really happening and everybody is overreacting. The plot could have been told to someone in one sentence and it wouldnt be a popular party talk. Also, what was the real purpose of Jessica Alba's character that appeared in the story and made absolutey no difference in the story whatsoever? Love the actors but the story was not very exciting.
February 24, 2016
A bit of a slog, with nothing much new to say really. The cast is more than established but the script a little undercooked.
January 3, 2016
January 2013 at WME post Sundance
½ October 16, 2015
Y'know, for some weird reason I just didn't love this the way I expected to, especially considering the talent involved. It has a few funny moments, but overall, I was just coasting through it from start to finish.

Rental.
August 28, 2015
Surprisingly unfunny and detached.
August 21, 2015
A boring, Razzie worthy film, that wanders aimlessly through unfunny themes and disjointed plot lines, only to arrive at one of the most anti climactic scenes in cinematic history. One star for making me laugh one time, and it was really more of a slight chuckle. Adam Scott and Jane Lynch are the ones who really try their hardest, but there is literally nothing to work with. The logic of the main character is incredibly illogical and borderline retarded, not to mention that he's cynical and very dislikeable. The film has one of the thinnest plots imaginable, and the whole ordeal gets even more tiresome when they try and add in a whole new storyline. An hour and a half of stupid people doing stupid things, with s script so dry and unfunny it should be criminal, a plot that doesn't know where it's going and seems like it only ended because their shitty budget wouldn't allow anything more, and a main character whose dislikeable and illogical. One of the worst movies I've seen ever, and definitely the worst of the year.
August 11, 2015
I'm a little disappointed at the lukewarm reception A.C.O.D. got. Zicherman's very personal film is much better and psychologically more complex than most Indies released in the past 5 years. The third act falls short of the actors' capabilities but it's a true wonder to see Scott and Jenkins riff off each other.
½ August 1, 2015
I really enjoyed this. It's rather televisual but it's surprisingly well written ably performed by a very likeable cast.
½ March 29, 2015
Good cast and has a few light laughs but the movie could have been a lot funnier and better written. A good story not lived to its full potential.
February 4, 2015
Pretty terrible movie. The only decent part was the scenes between Scott and Lynch. Even Amy Poheler couldn't save this train wreck. I couldn't tell if it was a drama or a comedy.
January 30, 2015
Great study of the modern American family dynamic, done with a sympathetic and yet slightly satiric tone. Great cast.
½ January 15, 2015
Tries to be commentary on divorce but just turns out to be predictable and doesn't really have anything to say that we haven't heard before. Good cast keeps it from falling apart. It's not that bad, I didn't have a desire to turn it off, but it did turn into background noise while I checked Facebook too many times through the middle of the movie.
January 12, 2015
Worst comedy I think I have ever seen, not even funny and just stupid with bad acting, exactly what I thought it was going to be.
January 12, 2015
Has some funny moments, but just ok.