The Adventures of Baron Munchausen Reviews

• Oct 25, 2020

A darkly humorous tall tale, unlike anything else you've ever seen, with memorable appearances by Robin Williams and seventeen year old Uma Thurman.

• Jul 04, 2020

This movie has made me tired of Terry Gilliam's work. That isn't to say that I didn't like it, I did. And it's not like Edgar Wright's Cornetto trilogy where every movie is the same. No, there was something different about this. The problem with Terry Gilliam's work, so far, is that it's trying to be Monty Python. Monty Python is sacred, and it should be left alone, enough said. While this may not be Gilliam's fault, every actor in his film seem to be trying to act just like a Python character, even down to the way that they talk. Where Brazil was a breath of fresh air, Baron Munchausen was being suffocated and being taken into a dark ally to have your kidney's cut out. I don't know, that was the best metaphor I could think of. Baron Munchausen has so much room for characters to be much stronger and unique, but it just doesn't take that opportunity. Because of this huge problem, so many jokes just fall flat. Now, I really don't want to bash this movie too much. Because I won't lie, I had a good time. Baron Munchausen uses some practical effects, which I always appreciate, and it had Robin Williams, need I say more? Even if some jokes just don't land, the movie is fun. It's one of those films you can put on and just have a good time, even if you are only half watching. The film itself, in its concept, is unique, and I always appreciate that. So, overall, I don't have much to say about the movie. It's fine, but so much of it gets dragged down in the shadow of Python.

• May 19, 2020

Beautiful and cheeky. Another crazy Terry Gilliam fantasy that only the 80s could have produced.

• Feb 27, 2020

One of the most underrated movies of the 80s, Terry Gilliam shows a movie run purely on imagination. With assisting performances from John Neville, Sarah Polley, and Eric Idle, and even some appearances from Robin Williams and Uma Thurman, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen navigates the imagination of the mind, and leaves you with a sense of childlike wonder and awe.

• Feb 16, 2020

The single best movie ever made.

The single best movie ever made.

• Jan 08, 2020

It took two watches for me to like this movie. I think I may have been too young the first time I saw it. You need to be in an open minded and adventurous mood.

• Oct 07, 2019

Well, when I saw this FILM 30 years ago, I absolutely, loved it. Great film. Brilliant, as the Brits would say.

• Aug 21, 2019

Packed with extravagant settings, props, and visual direction, Baron Munchausen is strongest when it stinks headfirst into Gillian's cinematic odd directorial style. The movie at times can be packed to the brim with charm. Unfortunately the Adventures of Baron Munchausen suffers from an over indulgent runtime and the cheekiness of the movie's tone wears thin rather quickly.

• Feb 21, 2019

I first watched this movie when I was just a kid and re watched it just the other day, it still delivers the fantasy world even though the hellish production of this movie. A real gem, its has own unique visuals, perspective, and charm. A very well cast and the characters were performed perfectly. One of the best fantasy movie and an experience that should be shared to present and generations.

• Dec 06, 2018

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen is an aesthetic masterpiece. Combining the talents of both Film visionary Terry Gilliam (Brazil, 12 Monkeys), and a cast of Monty Python Alumni, this film creates such a surreal experience with its imaginative comedy, sets, and vibratos acting. When watching this film for the first time, I was mostly attracted to the look of it more than the plot of the film itself. Someone who would most enjoy this movie would be someone more attracted to aesthetic and comedy rather than the plot. This movie has beautifully crafted sets and backgrounds and the actor's costume compliments them perfectly. Again the plot is a little slow, and the movie has several ending, giving you the effect that it'll never end, but the performance by Robin Williams and Jonathon Price, will keep you an edge of your seat until the end. Final Rating: 9/10