Affair in Trinidad - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Affair in Trinidad Reviews

March 14, 2016
I know it's just a pale shadow of Gilda, but Affair in Trinidad is an enjoyable thriller nonetheless. Rita Hayworth pretty much defines the term 'movie star' for me. She was so beautiful and a dream of a dancer. There was also a sadness and mystery about her. Whereas in Gilda, Glenn Ford was a great foil for Rita, here he's simply dull. Much better are Juanita Moore and Valerie Bettis in supporting roles.
½ July 12, 2014
got to love that dress and dance!
March 13, 2013
Enjoyable 50's noir-flavoured thriller/romance--Rita makes a hot spy!!
½ January 28, 2013
thou not as good as GILDA, but still it's good to see Glenn Ford & Rita in one movie again, yet it's quite entertaining and enjoyable movie :)
½ November 30, 2012
An implausible Cold War film (transitioning between the Second World War and the Cold War, spreading the lie that the Soviet Union rather than the U.S. inherited the legacy of Nazi Germany) that sort of anticipates the Cuban Missile Crisis. And why does Glenn Ford (always) have such a chip on his shoulders? Is it because he's a Canadian pretending to be American? He surely deserved to suffer a beat-down here for the way he treats Rita Hayworth.
August 24, 2012
Not Just [i]Gilda[/i] in the Tropics

It's almost unfortunate when people who made a classic movie together get another chance at making one. You can't see the new movie without thinking of the old. And every single review I've seen of this movie mentions [i]Gilda[/i], because it also starred Glenn Ford and Rita Hayworth. And, yeah, there are weird complications to their romantic relationship. However, the complications here are different. Rita Hayworth's character is different. Glenn Ford's is still the same, but Glenn Ford's characters always had a certain amount of sameness to them, no matter whether he was a Western gangster or Pa Kent. And, yes, there is a sameness to a lot of Rita Hayworth's characters, too, and both characters were confident in their sexuality in a way that comes across on camera. However, even if she doesn't quite react the way she's expected to, at least here, she used to have those emotions and just had them wrung out.

She is Chris Emery, and he is Steve Emery. But she was married to his brother, Neil, and Neil is dead. The official verdict of the inquest is suicide, but the British police believe that he was murdered, and he was murdered by Max Fabian (Alexander Scourby), who is a spy. They enlist Chris to help them prove it and prove what they know about Fabian, and she goes along with it because they leave her no other option. What she does not do is tell Steve. There are many reasons for that, but the most important is probably that she's afraid of getting him hurt, too. Her life with Neil left her more numb than anything, for all she once loved him, and those feelings are only now starting to warm up again. She is falling for Steve. He is falling for her, though he doesn't want to, at least in part because she is his brother's widow and he doesn't approve of her behaviour. Especially since she seems to be throwing herself at Max Fabian, or at least letting him pick her up.

Perhaps the most interesting character in the piece is Juanita Moore as Dominique, the Trinidadian maid. She is a solemn woman who has come to really care for Chris and worry about her deeply. She doesn't believe that Chris really loves Fabian, and she knows that she hadn't loved Neil anymore. However, Dominique loves Chris and wants the best for her. She is also too strong and too confident to be a meek, silent witness; she tells them that being presumptuous is the prerogative of a good servant, despite the fact that common belief would have it exactly the opposite. I think she knows that, one way or another, Chris will be leaving Trinidad, and she knows that it's for the best. But at the same time, her regret is that she will not then be able to watch over Chris, and Chris needs someone to care for her. Her support of Steve may well be that this is the person who will look after Chris when Dominique can no longer do it herself. We get very little of her, but she leaves a strong impression.

Stronger, honestly, than much of the plot. There were ex-Nazis and probably Commies and people who were just out to make a buck, not worrying about whose expense they were making it at. I don't know much about the history of the ICBM, but I do think that the film was a bit ahead of its time in discussing a weapon that would make the V2 look like a firecracker, a weapon that could, from a base in Trinidad (or, if you look at the map they're using, Jamaica), rain death all over the United States. This was ten years before the Cuban Missile Crisis, and the movie is already positing a weapon that doesn't even need to be as close as Cuba. (Trinidad to Cuba is about the same distance as Seattle to Los Angeles.) The British government seems concerned largely because Trinidad was, at the time, part of the British Empire. But really, any country had reason to be concerned with a person trading in that kind of secret in 1952, especially if the person wasn't bound to anyone or anywhere.

Yeah, okay, or you could just go watch [i]Gilda[/i] again. I'm not saying that's a bad idea. I'm just saying that, you know, we could maybe lay off the comparisons a bit. Honestly, it reads just as similar to a Hitchcock plot or two, and you don't hear anyone making that comparison over and over again. Part of the problem, I suspect, is that it's advertised as bringing back the lovers of [i]Gilda[/i], and that's just in the theatrical trailer on the DVD. Pairing off two people who made a successful movie together is a good advertising strategy; it's one of the reasons there are so many movies starring Tracy and Hepburn or Powell and Loy. (Less so now that stars aren't the big draw to movies as much.) However, if we're going to dwell on that, we won't be looking at the movie on its own merits, and it does actually have them. Just because it wasn't as good as their first pairing doesn't mean it isn't a perfectly legitimate film in its own right.
April 1, 2012
Påkostat hafsverk med tjusiga Rita och en tjockskallig Glenn. Ett försök att återupprepa succén med Gilda faller platt när manuset helt enkelt inte håller. Erbjuder dock tillräckligt med tropikcharm för att intresset ska hållas uppe hyfsat.
February 21, 2012
u can kinda call this 'gilda part II' reteams rita n glenn
December 10, 2011
Suggested by Audrey-Kim.
August 18, 2011
This is what I call a hidden gem. Yes, the plot is overused, and yes "Gilda" is better, but you know what? This is a pretty fun movie! This was filmed fresh from Rita Hayworth's divorce from the notorious Prince Aly Kahn and had not made a movie since 1948's romantic drama "The Loves of Carmen". Because this was a big return for Hayworth, fans were eager to see it, making it a box office hit. And since Glenn Ford was involved, they certainly must have known something good was about to take place. Though this isn't a classic by any means or excellent by any standards, it certainly is an enjoyable little flick. This takes place in the mysterious orient and is a great murder mystery that falls under the genre of film noir. Though this is probably the least steamy of all of the Hayworth/Ford films, it certainly brings out the best acting in Ford-- Rita of course belongs to "Gilda". Though it looks as if Hayworth was tired making this, she sure made the most of it, and did so doing that sexy calypso dance at the beginning of the movie. "Affair in Trinidad" certainly isn't that great, but once you see "Gilda", you'll want to see more of the twosome.
June 16, 2011
Very similar to Hitchcock's 'Notorious' and at times it almost feels like a remake. But let me tell you, I liked 'Affair in Trinidad' much more - I found it more suspenseful and entertaining.
½ April 9, 2011
Despite its good, sustained build-up with Hayworth looking her finest in some gorgeous costumes, the ending is rushed and doesn't make a lot of sense.
June 10, 2010
Felt like it was done before oh yeah Gilda kind of sort without a husbands death. But not the same magic even with Ford
½ February 6, 2010
better than I thought!
June 19, 2009
Rita looks great and Glenn is his usual pugnacious self but this attempt to strike gold again with the "Gilda" stars is rather routine.
½ June 12, 2009
When one approaches a 1940's title like 'Affair In Trinidad', you'll be hard pressed to figure that it's some sort of musical with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, or some madcap Marx Brothers comedy, not a hard edged murder mystery, yet that's what this badly titled movie is. Not that there's nothing wrong with the movie, I liked it. It's just the title is sort of curious. Rita Hayworth is a.. uh.. entertainer in very sleazy club (check out the people "returning" downstairs (cough) and keeps the people entertained by singing and dancing very suggestively to a song called "Trinidad Lady". Actually, she's SMOKING (as in hot!) in this scene, her dress and dancing are amazing. But soon, the police arrive on the scene, her husband has committed suicide, and they want to find out the reasons leading to his death. Glenn Ford, playing as steely jawed as Glenn Ford can, who plays his brother, wants to know too! From there, it's a whirlwind of deception, romance and thrills (well, not really), that is not really suspenseful, because we find out early on who did it, we just have to find out why (and that reason is a silly post-war hokum). Oh well, Hayworth IS pretty to look at, and Glenn Ford is great as usual, so the combination of the two is sorta fun to watc
½ May 23, 2009
This is a watchable crime drama but not one of the better Glenn Ford and Rita Hayworth partnerships. They do fine but it is the story which is the big letdown, very standard fair.
½ March 30, 2009
She plays such a fantastic role and Glen cares for her and does not understand how she really feels for him and trying to help during the war.
½ March 20, 2009
A little "Gilda" with a whole lot of "Notorious." I'm only giving it an additional half star because I like Glenn Ford. And Rita Hayworth is real purty...
January 28, 2009
Watchable but weak imitation of the far superior "Gilda". Rita and Glenn try to rekindle their old magic in this otherwise routine film noir.