Afternoon Delight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Afternoon Delight Reviews

½ September 15, 2017
Well off woman tries to 'save' a sex worker from her life after getting a lap dance from her. Ends up using her as a tool to improve her own life but denies this to herself because she's a 'nice person'. Coldly pushes stripper out of her life after she's gotten the insight she needed. Well off woman then suffers marital and social consequences of bringing a cynical sex worker around her friend's husbands. Well off woman learns something about her self and has a happy ending. Sex worker returns to the streets to hustle for mascara and McDonalds money with no happy ending, after helping well off woman grow as a person. Sex worker gets paid less for this than therapist who did not help at all.
June 21, 2017
Starts really well and has lots of funny bits but the last third compromises the film. Really good cast and performances.
May 26, 2017
I will never look at an elementary school auction in the same way. Thank you Jill Soloway!
½ February 28, 2017
Great performances overall. Loved Kathryn Hahn in this and her disillusionment with her own life.
½ August 16, 2016
If you're a bored, upper-middle class, suburban housewife with a non-existent sex life what do you do? According to some accounts that we hear about in the news, you turn to Vicodin or Oxy to get you through the day. In AFTERNOON DELIGHT, housewife Rachel finds a sex worker and brings her home to "rehabilitate" the young woman. If you think popping pills would be a safer choice, I would agree after watching this film.

Rachel (Kathryn Hahn, whom audiences may recognise from the TV shows PARKS & RECREATION and GIRLS) and husband Jeff (HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER's Josh Radnor) are your typical, upscale, 30-something couple living in suburban Los Angeles. They are both cultural Jews. Rachel reluctantly volunteers at the local Jewish Community Center's numerous fundraising events. Jeff eats bagels with cream cheese schmears. While Rachel's life consists of running from the JCC to the supermarket to her narcissistic therapist (comically played by GLEE's Jane Lynch), Jeff is busy working on his next successful smartphone app venture. Rachel is miserable inside. She and Jeff have been in a sexual dry spell for six months but it's not because Jeff hasn't tried. Rachel just isn't in the mood.

One day, her best friend suggests Rachel and Jeff go to a local strip club to spice up their sex life. They go and Jeff decides to buy Rachel a lap dance from McKenna, an exotic dancer who works there. (Yes, Jeff buys one for Rachel, not the other way around.)

Up to that point, the film is a comedy but then the script takes a detour and becomes a morality tale. The next morning Rachel seeks out McKenna, not to learn a few tricks of the trade from her, but rather to "save" her. Rachel, who gave up her a career in public relations that she didn't like anyway, feels that she can find meaning in life if she plays Richard Gere to McKenna's Julia Roberts. Rachel hires McKenna as her 5-year-old child's live-in nanny and, of course, Jeff approves as do all of Jeff's male friends. They don't know McKenna is a prostitute but they do notice that she's ultra-hot.

Predictably, such a great idea has to have a bad outcome. One evening with the girls, Rachel's real feelings about her life and her relationships with her girlfriends bubble up to the surface and she lets go. Meanwhile, Jeff hosts a poker night with the guys at home while McKenna is there. There are disasters and then there is this evening. By the time the sun rises in the morning, more than one marriage and a few friendships in this bedroom community have been blown to bits. In the aftermath, Rachel finally decides to put a voice to her feelings. She tells Jeff that she wants to have some afternoon delight, and he happily obliges. And they live happily ever after while McKenna goes back to being a "full service sex worker" in West Hollywood. Couldn't there have been a less destructive way for Rachel to get her groove back?

AFTERNOON DELIGHT won the Best Director award at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival. Director Jill Soloway was one of the writers and producers of TV's SIX FEET UNDER, a show that deftly balanced the comedy of everyday life with the darkness that comes from dealing with death. This film, too, has both comedic and dark elements, but while critics have praised the Soloway for this bold effort, audiences haven't been so enamoured. Perhaps they see themselves in Rachel and Jeff. For me, I would have liked the film more if it would have stayed in the comedy realm.
½ July 9, 2016
Slow movie that's good for a slow afternoon.
More depressing and sad than funny.
June 14, 2016
well crafted indy comedy that proves oil n water or soccer moms & hookers don't mix
½ April 24, 2016
about as dull as it gets
January 4, 2016
Blech. So depressing. Awful characters, and a very boring story. Don't waste your time!
January 3, 2016
January 2013 at Sundance
November 8, 2015
good romantic movie with the gf lady for the night wifey
July 22, 2015
Wasn't as good as I hoped, but still not bad movie. I actually thought it would hit the fan way worse than it did!
Interesting idea for a movie dealing with a marriage gone stale and the fascination caused by a young striper met in a vain attempt to spice things up. Clearly moving her into the house was never going to end up well for anyone!
I did like how it blurs a little who is actually at fault.
Juno Temple is great, I am liking nearly everything I see her in. Maybe my expectations for this were a little higher based on that, but still worth a look.
June 7, 2015
I avoided this movie when it came out because of the way in which it was advertised / marketed. It looked like a faux-"naughty" sex comedy with a suitably lame title. Jill Soloway's film is occasionally quite funny, but never at the expense of what is a potent examination of woman desperately trying to find not only a meaningful connection to her husband, child and life -- but to gain insight into herself. Kathryn Hahn can always be counted on to deliver impressive performances in roles that are far beneath her talent. In this film she delivers a brave, uncomfortable and intimately realistic performance that rivals any of the actresses who have received Academy Awards in the last five years. The only one of those I can think of that might have carried more power was Cate Blanchette in BLUE JASMINE. In addition to Hahn's remarkable performance is the fact that Jill Soloway's film is so well executed that she is able to create something both entertaining and undeniably potent examination that goes far deeper than expected. It is refreshing to see an film artist who can use comedy to achieve so much. And, so very sad it is failing to connect with the audience who would value it. If you're looking for female-perspective potty humor popcorn movie with trite resolutions -- you should stick to the latest Melissa McCarthy vehicle or the upcoming Amy Schumer flick -- because this film is not for you.
½ April 2, 2015
The female leads were what kept me watching this film about rich pretty people problems.
March 1, 2015
this movie made me feel uncomfortable for some reason.
February 28, 2015
Kathryn Hahn is fantastic in this movie but after a bright start it turns into a pretty average relationship melodrama.
½ January 11, 2015
This movie surprised the hell out of me. The film has its problems, but it's earnestness and searching for honesty in human character keeps it from falling apart. Hahn and Radnor give great performances and make this story more than it seems to be on paper. I admire Soloway for bringing this kind of story to screen and applying some great filmmaking craft to it.
January 8, 2015
Let me begin by stating I believe I am nowhere near the target demographic for this movie as I am neither female nor Jewish. That being said I really hated this movie. It gets a 2nd star only for both Juno Temple (who's obviously a freak) and Kathryn Hahn both going topless and for the fact that the janitor from Breakfast Club appears as one of the hooker's clients. There's actually some funny women in this movie but a female-centric comedy directed by a female is not really something that tends to make me laugh.
½ December 11, 2014
Another hollywood jewish stab at the traditional American family. A self-centered housewife adopts a parasitic stripper/hooker to vicariously explore every modern feminist's dream: a hedonistic life with comprised of endless freedom coupled with zero consequences.
November 5, 2014
I thought it was better. But it was a boring movie.