Ain't Them Bodies Saints - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ain't Them Bodies Saints Reviews

November 14, 2016
"Bonnie and Clyde" for film-goers who appreciate atmospheric, melancholy art house.
September 30, 2016
A poetic sad little film that ends up being quite aimless come its final scenes. A movie where no characters get served any real justice but the movie tries to justify it with a realistic, sombre, art-house execution. Am I the only one a bit annoyed that Ruth is obviously going to end up with the very man she shot, who in turn put Bob in prison (as he took the blame) - leading to this whole tragic dilemma? It's true, the greatest love stories end in tragedy & sorrow - however this just annoyed the f*ck outta me.
½ July 28, 2016
Bob Muldoon: "Every day I wake up thinking today's the day I'm gonna see you. And one of those days, it will be so. And then we can ride off to somewhere. Somewhere far away."
½ March 14, 2016
Despite the excellent performances, I was a little disappointed.
½ February 13, 2016
I wish I could give this a 3.25
February 7, 2016
Rooney Mara is a very good actress, and Casey Affleck isn't bad either. This film shows that but it's also quite boring.
January 31, 2016
Slow brooding Texan love story.
½ December 31, 2015
In years past, sometimes I'd feel like going to a movie without caring which one. When you're that spontaneous, you might end up at a movie you know nothing about, except maybe that it has an interesting title. Sometimes that works out and sometimes it doesn't. When I went to see "Ain't Them Bodies Saints" (R, 1:36)... it didn't.

Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara star as Bob and Ruth, a pair of star-crossed lovers who get into a shoot-out with police in rural 1970s Texas. The reason for the gun play is never explained, but when Ruth shoots a cop in the shoulder, Bob takes the rap and goes to prison. He promises to get out and come back for Ruth and the baby girl that she has while Bob is paying his debt to society. After four years, he escapes and begins to make his way back to his young family.

Keith Carradine plays Skeritt, an old family friend who looks after Ruth and her daughter, Sylvie. Ben Foster plays the cop that Ruth shot, and seems to want to take Bob's place in the family's humble digs. If this all sounds stupid, it's not - just boring. There's a lot of talking and not much action. Monotone is the best word I have to describe the acting, especially from Casey Affleck, who played a similar character (and slightly better) in 2007's "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford", but is much more entertaining playing quirky characters as he did in the "Ocean's" films.

The most interesting thing about "Ain't Them Bodies Saints" is the movie's title - even though it doesn't ever mean anything in the story. This film is all about tone and feeling, but the feelings are barely there. The tone reminds me of 2007's Best Picture Oscar winner "No Country for Old Men", but in that film, the characters were interesting and something actually happened. This movie would be better titled "Ain't Them Movies Supposed to Have a Point". I still like to be spontaneous, but not with movies. Not after this waste-of-an-interesting-title. "D"
½ December 20, 2015
A lesson in the art of over crafting a film that shouldn't really exist in the first place. But God do I love Rooney.
½ December 10, 2015
Not sure this is as good as its cracked up to be. The acting is fine the and the cinematography is solid but it's a rather boring film for anyone uninitiated into the slow pace presented here.
November 22, 2015
This is a beautiful film .
½ November 21, 2015
A sad, melancholy Bonnie & Clyde-like crime drama that clearly borrows from Malick, and it is nice to see the way that Lowery approaches his narrative even if it is quite conventional and worth seeing more for its strong performances than by what he actually wants to tell.
November 6, 2015
This movie was very solemn and deep. At times it felt a bit empty, but when the characters felt something, I could really sense the emotion. What I liked best about this film was that you never quite knew what to expect, but there was not a sense of suspense. more like a foreboding. Overall it was a good film.
October 30, 2015
Much to admire but Lowery spends so much effort on setting a Malick/New Hollywood mood, the purpose and meaning get left behind in pursuit of imitation.
October 19, 2015
Slow but a good story and performance.
½ October 16, 2015
slow movie with a bad guy. Rooney Mara is good, lovely.
½ August 19, 2015
I don't remember much about this movie since I watched it many months ago. For some reason, I don't know why the review was not posted. What I do remember is that I enjoyed this movie and especially the honesty of acting.