Airheads - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Airheads Reviews

½ April 22, 2018
It sucks entering your mid-late 20s. The novelty of your youth is wearing off and its likely that everybody is getting fed up of your bullshit.
You know what sucks more? Entering your mid-late 20s when you have a creative mindset mixed with artistic ambitions. Most likely your artistic project isn't getting anywhere - not because you suck, or anything, but because, like, the man has it in for you and if people would just give you a chance they would see how great your work is - and its looking increasingly likely that you are going to have to give up your artistic dream and fall back on your backup plan, choosing a boring job in a suit to risk not working your current shitty job that you only have to pay the bills.
You know what sucks even more than that? If this creative mindset is expressed in the form of rebellion, non-conformity, and rock-n-roll, meaning not only do you have to think about a backup, but that even HAVING a backup plan and conforming is in direct conflict with your entire identity, meaning that you either have to keep being a massive douchebag getting nowhere to keep it real or to submit and loose your soul working a 9-5 and loose touch with ever being able to live out your dream.
What sucks EVEN MORE is if all this is happening in 1994; rock and roll had taken a nosedive in the mainstream thanks to the wave of new music that was blasted into the mainstream in a reaction set in motion by the opening chords of smells like teen spirit from Kurt Cobains amplifier; not only this, the rock that remained was well beyond a parody of itself at this point, and the rock that had dominated from the collapse of the 60s right up to the fall of the Berlin wall would only get more and more nitche as a fandom to the point of embarrassment.
Its this desperation in the characters and setting that makes me almost sympathise with the stupidly tragic mission of the main characters, who set the plot in motion by getting themselves into a huge amount of shit for 3 measly minutes of airtime on the local rock radio. I almost want to love this move for it.
Unfortunately I can't bring myself to think of this film as anything more than average. If your movie is set almost exclusively in the butt-ugly interior of a cheap radio station, you're going to have to sell me on the comedy. Some of the jokes here are decent - some of my favourite moments in the film are the great cameos that while short still manage to be unexpected and bring a laugh, particularly when God himself makes an appearance [RIP]). However much of the humour also falls into the just meh, if not full-on groanworthy field. In a comedy that the escalation of the situation is key to the comedy, they don't really sell it enough - a large reason being that the characters spend too much of the film enjoying themselves, instead of comedy being generated from their suffering as they dig deeper into their own hole (which would have worked better not only comedically but also from a narrative standpoint. Also, I'm just a bit of a sadistic bastard). And don't think that pulling Michael Richards from the set of Seinfeld and getting him to essentially play a Kramer-clone on screen through the film is going to sell me, either!
Overall I'd say that if you have ever spent any of your adult years in a band - particularly a rock or metal group, and the worse you are/were the better - then you will probably find something to enjoy about this film. Audiences who aren't fans of rock music and/or weed though might have a more tough time getting into it.

Watched 15th April 2018
March 14, 2018
Best movie that any of the stars were ever in... and Steve Buscemi has been in a LOT of excellent movies. Note that the audience score is a lot higher than the critics' rating... go figure.
January 17, 2018
This movie is kind of silly, but it has a few moments that make me laugh. The cast wasn't very well known when this first came out, so it is fun to watch them at that stage of their career. It sometimes falls a bit flat though.
July 30, 2017
This movie is a veritable who's who of 90's talent that would shortly blow up into collective superstardom. The narrative is coherent while at the same time providing a subversive snapshot of 90's counter culture.
July 5, 2017
I don't hate this move, it's just not that good. The acting is fine, but the story and humor are so cringey it makes the viewing not that pleasant.
½ June 11, 2017
Absolutely ridiculous, but it appeals to the youthful rocker within me.

Also Adam Sandler is place mercifully far into the background.
April 30, 2017
4/29/2017 (2): Meh. A few funny moments, but was hoping for more. A good cast though.
April 28, 2017
Great silly, rock and roll comedy. Just simple, don't think to much, fun movie.
April 8, 2017
Airheads, present a funny cast and an very good performace by Steve Buscemi. The film, make laughs with your Dog Day Afternoon satire, but the script could be more intelligent.
June 21, 2016
This is a very underrated comedy. Fraser, Buscemi, and Sandler play 3 metal band members looking for their big break but are denied by every record label so as a last ditch effort, they go to a radio station to get their demo played and when the DJ refuses to play it, they take everyone hostage. Buscemi is hilarious in this film and Sandler plays off his "cute dumb guy" character. The story has other little dramatics with it that make the story not only focused on the 3 main characters which is good. Like I said, very underrated and worth a watch especially if you grew up in the 80s and 90s.
May 20, 2016
Fuck off, this movie rules.
April 23, 2016
This is a great comedy. Can't believe the low rating. I must have watched this 20 times when I was younger."We can rock out after breakfast".
November 3, 2015
Definitely a fun flick full of great '90s treasures... if you can get past the ridiculous liberties it takes with how authorities handle hostage situations.
June 16, 2015
Could have been a good movie, poor execution and writing. Cheesy in nature.
½ June 12, 2015
This movie well hilarious is also so improbable it has barely any plot other then rock and roll and fake guns filled with hot sauce the cops in it are absolute idiots and them playing in the prison is dumb as hell
May 30, 2015
I thought the cast in the movie was good. It was funny and at times entertaining. I did not think the plot was that great in this movie.
½ April 19, 2015
Must have been an inspiration of the writer's brain capacity.
April 19, 2015
Even if you like these actors then that's still not a good enough reason to see this movie.
April 3, 2015
A stellar cast and a rocking soundtrack can make the movie right? Wrong. "Airheads" screenplay is a sloppy mess. The main plot is a desperate band wants to be heard on the local radio station to hopefully give them their big break and they inadvertently turn it into a hostage situation. The plot could work but we're rushed into the hostage situation so fast that we really don't get a feel for many of our "heroes". Then when we are in the hostage situation the same morals and setups are done so many times it feels longer than it should be. You're best off staying away from this one and just rocking to the soundtrack instead.