All the Pretty Horses Reviews

• Aug 16, 2019

Can't believe the reviews aren't better. I absolutely love this movie.

Can't believe the reviews aren't better. I absolutely love this movie.

• Nov 10, 2018

When I first saw this film I wasn’t expecting much. Turns out that is a good story with lots of heart in it. Some films stay with you and makes you want to watch it from time to time. This is one of them for me.

• Oct 16, 2018

Nicely done. Not as extensive story telling as the incredible book, bubgood acting throughout.

• Feb 25, 2018

Two things... 1. Because I was once a passionate and adventurous young man that dreamt of (and romanticized) the idea of a simpler time... this movie is in my all time top five. 2. Because I am always looking for realistic, movies to help keep me grounded in the truth of the human condition, prompting questions like; "What would I do here?, "How would I react?" or more specifically, "What do I truly value?" and "How can this challenge/confirm my perceptions/beliefs to help me live a more useful and fullfilling life?"... because of this... I genuinely appreciate this film.

• May 09, 2017

Rating: 5/10 It is rather unfortunate that this film turned out the way it did, given it's outstanding source material. Studio interference and some poor casting ultimately make All the Pretty Horses a flat and disappointing film with a few high points here and there. First of all, casting Matt Damon, Penelope Cruz and Henry Thomas, who were 30, 26 and 29 at the time of filming, in roles where the characters are 16, 17 and 17 was a massive mistake. Part of what makes the book so great is the coming of age element, and here that is completely lost on all characters, with the exception of the character of Jimmy Blevins who is played very well by Lucas Black. However, the main problem with this movie is that it is abundantly clear that the studio ripped it to shreds in regards to running time and even its musical score. The movie was apparently around the 2 hour and 40 minute mark originally, but was chopped down to an hour and 56 minutes. The poor and rushed editing is the film's greatest flaw throughout and seriously hinders character and story development. The music is troublesome as well. I am very curious to know what Daniel Lanois' score was like, but that we'll probably never know, as he refuses to allow it to be licensed since the studio took his music out of the picture and replaced him with Marty Stuart, whose music is superficial at best and cheesy at its worst, and it unfortunately is at its worst far too often. To put it in perspective, Stuart only went on to compose four more film scores. The saddest thing I take away from this film is that it is very clear that there is a good movie under the surface. Despite the miscast characters, the actors still are doing a good enough job in their roles as they are and the story maintained the important elements of the book. Had it only been allowed to breathe, we might've been given a good Western. As it is, it's merely mediocre.

• Apr 03, 2017

Another movie that looks good but doesn't go anywhere. Like the book - but didn't get the point. Penelope Cruz didn't do much. Matt Damon O.K. Henry Thomas dull.

• May 18, 2016

This one finally put me to sleep

This one finally put me to sleep

• May 03, 2016

The ending was not as emotional as I think it should or could have been. But the rest of the movie was pleasant.

• Dec 18, 2015

Loses all the spark of the novel.

Loses all the spark of the novel.

• Nov 29, 2015

You can tell this movie would really benefit from a director's cut.

You can tell this movie would really benefit from a director's cut.