Aloft Reviews

• Nov 02, 2016

I really need to stop procrastinating watching movies because of review scores as I really loved this flick. The start of ALOFT is a little confusing, however, if you keep focused and pay attention, you are definitely rewarded with a very thought provoking, beautiful film. The ending and much of the story leave a lot untold, and that could possibly annoy some. I feel that to answer these questions would really tarnish the artistic merit of the film. And that's what ALOFT is, a piece of art. Cillian Murphy and Jennifer Connelly pull off great performances, maybe even their best. Not many actors could make this film work and they (and the others) definitely make it work. The film is also very well shot if your one for atmosphere, ALOFT has it in spades. This is definitely one of the more depressing movies I've seen. Definitely don't watch if you are expecting a happy ending or happy anything. If you want to see that, watch a Hollywood blockbuster. I never write reviews, I just felt I had to write this as I really enjoyed the film plus the fact that is got horrendously terrible reviews. Disclaimer - I'm a huge Cillian Murphy fan.

• Oct 07, 2016

Like watching ice melt; this film takes a long time to reach its end...but the acting in the final scene really drives home the message. 2 1/2 stars

• Sep 17, 2016

As much as I like Jennifer Connelly and Cillian Murphy, nothing on Earth could ever justify me sitting through this colossal mess of a movie ever again. This was so boring that I just couldn't bring myself to care about anything going on in it. I would not recommend this one.

• Feb 03, 2016

Powerful performances by Connelly and Murphy center this story of guilt and abandonment, but the script and presentation of the story make it difficult to understand unless you read the Wikipedia article on it first, as I did. This film has that in common with Cloud Atlas--you need to know the plot beforehand or it makes little sense. Even so, the cinematography and good acting and direction give this film a lovely, poetic quality.

• Dann M Super Reviewer
    Jan 20, 2016

A little monotonous, Aloft is an intriguing character drama but it doesn't flesh out its ideas very well. The story follows the son of a reclusive faith healer who, after being estranged from his mother for nearly 20 years, teams up with a reporter in order to track her down. Jennifer Connelly, Cillian Murphy, and Melanie Laurent lead the cast and give strong performances. And the visual aesthetic has a bleak and mystic quality to it that sets an atmospheric tone. Yet the storytelling is rather weak and does a poor job at developing the characters. However, despite its flaws Aloft is an interesting film with some compelling themes.

• Dec 16, 2015

Not bad. Don't expect much though.

Not bad. Don't expect much though.

• Dec 09, 2015

Even glorious Jennifer could not save this one.

Even glorious Jennifer could not save this one.

• Nov 21, 2015

I have no words to describe how terrible Aloft is.

I have no words to describe how terrible Aloft is.

• Nov 06, 2015

I guess this film has to be seen differently than most viewers do. It is not a work for entertainment purposes, for that reason lacks common Hollywood storylines and pace but it is more to be taken in like for example a theatre play or an opera. The viewer is not being served with obvious, well articulated content, a storyline in the means of situation, development and conclusion but more a poetic imagery of life. Like a good piece of art it is not supposed to be taken in once, digested, forgotten but sometimes you need to find out things first yourself and rewatch it before you get to the core of this beautiful piece of art.

• Oct 27, 2015

The critics missed what the audience saw. This can be a slow starter, but there is plenty in the bleak landscape to capture attention. So does Cillian Murphy, as always. Murphy totally pulls the whole thing off and gives it meaning with his performance when he confronts his mother when he returns as a grown man. His grief is palpable. With so much grief - on all sides - the question is, how can anyone heal? This is a universal human theme and one beautifully presented in this movie. A little hard to get at? - the critics didn't bother and any audience will get a better picture if they are willing to get beyond the usual Hollywood blockbuster, explosions and gunfire that gets dumped on us as "entertainment" elsewhere. Aloft is a good movie, subtle, but beautifully done.