American History X - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American History X Reviews

½ October 20, 2016
"American History X" can be simply defined as it's own. It delivers multiple and intertwining messages about as powerful as I've ever seen a film. It opens your eyes to the subject of racism and how violent humans can be at times. However, it is unclear of what the main purpose of the film is because there is so many. Is it racism? Is it the use of violence to make inhuman points? Is it the bond between two brothers? When we want a film to express certain themes, they need to do it in a balanced and organized fashion. American History X is distinguished by it's incredible performances, but fails to give a clear message of why we are really watching it.
½ October 15, 2016
"American Hystory X" has a message to us through, and for me, this message is passed by the best possible manner, the shock, seen here redemption of Derek, a neo-Nazi who has his ideology put to the test when it is forced to live with the differences, but do not expect here a cute little redemption movie with flowers and fragrant, to where one side is wrong and the other is good, no, here they all are at the mercy of anger at the opposite, not even understand why, Tony Kayne, director of very few movies, tries to show the danger of an ideology, a thought, is white Latinos and blacks hating without any justification or blacks who always have to behave like bandits, is a basquetes game or reckoning, the film criticizes, criticizes and beat up, he is extremely violent, but hardly has blood in it, because its violence is far beyond just the physical. In terms of technical aspects Kayne's great to show the Flashbacks of our protagonist in black and white, and highlight the timeline, he wants to make us remember World War II, meaning that all such discrimination is a thing of the past, and narrative off of Danny and the family unit is great, because if we saw the film without these two aspects we do not apegarķamos Derek, on the contrary, we'd hate, and hate is the opposite of what the film wants to preach, we we can not agree with Derek, but if we hate, we are not very different, the soundtrack is accurate, the picture is beautiful, especially in black and white times, the script is extremely intelligent, but leave some loose ends, and the performances are all great, especially Edward Norton, who is a great actor, but unlike the majority of his other films where he has a submissive and apathetic performance, not here, he is threatening, you really afraid, and yet he can pass the dramatic side, this is certainly one of the greatest performances of his career. Finally, the film is much more than a story of racism, the film deals with the human being, but outside the film's message, its technical aspects are amazing, it is a film that everyone should see.
October 7, 2016
"American History X" is a very emotional, important drama film detailing a man - who was a skinhead racist - as he desperately tries to prevent his young brother from following the same path. Everything about the film was powerful: the acting & characters (Edward Norton was nominated for the Best Actor Oscar), the direction by Tony Kaye, & the story; the film techniques were also striking by setting the past & present events of the characters. "American History X" is a must-see film in order to inform people that we should NEVER hate - we must treat others with love, respect, & peace.
½ September 30, 2016
I first watched this in my philosophy class at school & I was shocked by how good it was! Racism is such an important topic & was used extremely well in the film! I thought the black & white sequences were brilliant & Edward Norton did an outstanding job as the lead!
September 28, 2016
One of the best performances from Edward Norton leads this thought-provoking and engaging story that digs into the processes that bring men to become racists, as well as into those that defeat racism.
September 22, 2016
El odio solamente genera mas odio, esta pelicula lo demuestra a manos llenas. Magnifica, soberbia y brutal.
½ September 13, 2016
Great thought provoking movie
½ September 3, 2016
A shitty-ass movie made amazing by virtue of Ed Norton's delivering one of the best performances of the decade.
August 20, 2016
'American History X' may be Edward Norton's best work as he conveys the poison of hatred so well.
August 18, 2016
one of the best movies I have ever seen...edward norton is probably the most underated actor around.
August 17, 2016
The years Edward Norton was on fire.
August 7, 2016
This is best drama.. you get in the emotional... so intense... people can change if you getting better
July 25, 2016
Backed by Edward Norton's incredible performance, this film's message is both powerful and not preachy.
July 25, 2016
One of the greatest films ever made
July 23, 2016
Great story with fantastic characters
½ July 22, 2016
Your mistakes are not your own to make up for.

American history X may feel at time like a made for TV movie but it's probably the best made for TV movie ever made.
July 21, 2016
THIS IS A CLASSIC AND A MUST SEE MOVIE. It's smart and has a great story I loved this movie it has no flaws it's so good I recommend it go watch it on Netflix
July 19, 2016
Very disappointing ending, tbh. The rest of the film was pretty good. Story never got me bored. Ending felt incomplete.
July 19, 2016
Amazing. The performances in this movie... Amazing!
½ July 19, 2016
This is probably one of the deepest films made in years. Edward Norton made an incredible lead performance that drives the movie well. This film can be hard to watch at times and it may not be for everyone with its intense action and violence but the overall message of the movie is well thought out and is quite moving. Even the most violent of people can change as seen by Derek when he becomes friends with a black man when he was in prison. Behind all the violence lies a great message that is pretty motivational. Its plot details how black and white people despise each other and often get in fights and even kill each other. The movie details how brothers Derek and Danny both try to turn themselves around from their harsh life. All of their friends are racist and both of them fear their friends turning on them if they try to leave their gang. The ending is tragic and it's hard to watch. It gets me every time but it's fitting. This is a really amazing film. It has a great story and a great message. All of this combines to make one of the best movies in the 90's. As long as you can get by the gore and action then this will likely be a film for you. This is a must see film for all fans of drama movies.