American History X - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American History X Reviews

August 16, 2017
Gripping and brutal led by an unbelievably realistic portrayal by Edward norton
August 15, 2017
American History X Provides insight of racism, propaganda, and has Edward Norton in his greatest performance with Edward Furlong in the running. The film has also been relevant to this day
August 2, 2017
Didn't rewatch so fudging the rating, donated the VHS
½ July 24, 2017
Great performance by Norton. Despite being made 18 years ago, subject matter remains very relevant now.
July 23, 2017
Awsome movie... one of edward nortons bests imo
July 22, 2017
I'm really excited to be reviewing this movie because it's my favorite movie. American History X is about a racist guy.
½ July 13, 2017
An intelligent and well-constructed piece of drama.
½ July 2, 2017
Edward Norton sears the screen in this compelling drama showing a rarely dude if the coin with white supremacist groups, and that is humanizing them in a sense. It's a very fine line to walk, but the film does an excellent job of exposing the deep flaws in these organizations while giving us characters that are strangely relatable and likable. The very touchy subject matter is handled very professionally, it gives believable reasons why one would join a group like this, and then turn away from it so quickly after building an entire lifestyle around it. The ending truly shocked me, and I found myself feeling much more for these characters than I expected to. My main issues is that the film does take its time, and that it is filled with a ton of exposition, which works really well, but does make me wish it would return to the present time. I also wish there was a little more focus on the African American groups in the film than there was
June 24, 2017
A very disturbing look in to how racism can both bring people together and at the same time tear them apart and whole communities apart. I don't think that people really realize even today how much hate is born and acted out because of a persons skin colour, religious beliefs or sexual orientation. You would think that after all we've seen we don't realize we all bleed red and all too often over race. This movie really hits that out of the park.
June 22, 2017
A true masterpiece of storytelling
June 17, 2017
"..See reality in your eyes when hate makes you blind.."

How an amazing, expressive movie !
½ June 10, 2017
American History x of beginning already cemeša with one of the best scenes already seen in black and white (spectacular), for me the whole movie would be like that, it was spectacular in this way, the soundtrack, although not remarkable, does an exceptional job, Delivery what is being proposed in the environment, fear and tension are examples; The script is able to deliver a great story, as the name already says: American History, in the simplest form is a film of American society, but in the way that some do not accept diversity, equality. Edward Norton is in one of the best jobs of his career (if not the best); The film at the beginning proposes an idea, but from a certain point it shows that it is there for something else, a beautiful work of a script well written, I have to praise the script and much; What a story, I swear that in the end it surprised me; Because although I already expected that I did not expect it that way, although there are colorful scenes that stand out even in black and white, I have already praised it once and I will continue to praise the way the black and white scenes became sensational, if The whole movie was in this way would only improve this great work that deserves to be recognized. At the end of it all that guy who people did not believe that would change changed and everything because he saw the other side of the coin, saw that all are equal and despite everything some day we can depend on that person we do not like, we hate and among them we One can see the trust and other things that we do not see in those we treat equally just because they are of the same color; American History x is a work of art and undoubtedly one of the best movies I have ever seen!
½ May 31, 2017
Ripe with powerful performances, a frontal approach to racism, and an overall strong execution of cinematic techniques (simple ideas used effectively) make American History X essential viewing for contemporary film.
May 20, 2017
Edward is hot. 6 stars.
April 4, 2017
This is probably one of the deepest films made in years. Edward Norton made an incredible lead performance that drives the movie well. This film can be hard to watch at times and it may not be for everyone with its intense action and violence but the overall message of the movie is well thought out and is quite moving. Even the most violent of people can change as seen by Derek when he becomes friends with a black man when he was in prison. Behind all the violence lies a great message that is pretty motivational. Its plot details how black and white people despise each other and often get in fights and even kill each other. The movie details how brothers Derek and Danny both try to turn themselves around from their harsh life. All of their friends are racist and both of them fear their friends turning on them if they try to leave their gang. The ending is tragic and it's hard to watch. It gets me every time but it's fitting. This is a really amazing film. It has a great story and a great message. All of this combines to make one of the best movies in the 90's. As long as you can get by the gore and action then this will likely be a film for you. This is a must see film for all fans of drama movies.
March 31, 2017
Edward Norton is excellent, the direction is great, and the story is poignant.
½ March 16, 2017
Part of the most provocative movie I've ever seen, American Hisroty X is a powerful, very moving and captivating film, Tony Kaye has done a fantastic job, although it wouldn't be the great film we all know if it wasn't for Edward Norton. It's really balls-to-the-walls film, not one that you everyday, but that's what makes it one of the best pics ever in cinema history. Recommended !!
½ March 12, 2017
Definitely a well done film, especially from the scary good performance of Edward Norton. Though his recovery was quick and underdeveloped, it still will be a film discussed for a while
March 3, 2017
Wow! NOT RELEVANT AT ALL TO CURRENT EVENTS, EH? You could give Norton's speech or his dad's speech de facto and the right would EAT IT UP right now. Loved the black and white segments about black and white race relations. I don't care what anyone says, but Elliott Gould sucks at acting.
February 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch