American History X - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American History X Reviews

July 25, 2016
Backed by Edward Norton's incredible performance, this film's message is both powerful and not preachy.
July 25, 2016
One of the greatest films ever made
July 23, 2016
Great story with fantastic characters
½ July 22, 2016
Your mistakes are not your own to make up for.

American history X may feel at time like a made for TV movie but it's probably the best made for TV movie ever made.
July 21, 2016
THIS IS A CLASSIC AND A MUST SEE MOVIE. It's smart and has a great story I loved this movie it has no flaws it's so good I recommend it go watch it on Netflix
July 19, 2016
Very disappointing ending, tbh. The rest of the film was pretty good. Story never got me bored. Ending felt incomplete.
July 19, 2016
Amazing. The performances in this movie... Amazing!
½ July 19, 2016
This is probably one of the deepest films made in years. Edward Norton made an incredible lead performance that drives the movie well. This film can be hard to watch at times and it may not be for everyone with its intense action and violence but the overall message of the movie is well thought out and is quite moving. Even the most violent of people can change as seen by Derek when he becomes friends with a black man when he was in prison. Behind all the violence lies a great message that is pretty motivational. Its plot details how black and white people despise each other and often get in fights and even kill each other. The movie details how brothers Derek and Danny both try to turn themselves around from their harsh life. All of their friends are racist and both of them fear their friends turning on them if they try to leave their gang. The ending is tragic and it's hard to watch. It gets me every time but it's fitting. This is a really amazing film. It has a great story and a great message. All of this combines to make one of the best movies in the 90's. As long as you can get by the gore and action then this will likely be a film for you. This is a must see film for all fans of drama movies.
July 17, 2016
Required viewing for every person who is a human.
June 22, 2016
Despite the very extreme content and message, this controversial movie will leave you thinking about your own feelings and actions at the end of the film. The film depicts a former neo-nazi skinhead in southern California trying to prevent his younger brother from going down the same wrong path he did. Edward Norton gives arguably the best performance of his career in this film. No matter how many times you see this film it seems to leave you in a state of shock and self reflection. The director filmed all flashback scenes in black & white and does an amazing job stylistically in this film. An absolute must see.
June 7, 2016
For the most part I quite enjoyed this film. But there is a genuinely contrived angle to the story and characters that just doesn't ring true. I watched it for the second time tonight, the first being at the cinema upon its initial release. And the thing that really stuck with me is what a great movie this would be for young teenagers who would most likely fall under its spell. Well intentioned and certainly not bad, but by no means a classic
May 22, 2016
One of the most gripping and best movies you'll ever see. Ed Norton's performance is incredibly powerful.
May 16, 2016
This is my #1 movie of all times. I actually watched an off chronological version of this movie when I rented many years ago from a $1.00 VHS store. I thought the chronological version (rather than jumping from present into past and back) version was much more powerful than the theatrical version; however, I could never find that chronological version for a purchase. It is a very powerful and emotional movie. I am always interested in how little things or life events define who we are, and this is a movie about that... To me, this is one of the best movies every made.
May 12, 2016
American History X is directed by Tony Kaye, and it stars Edward Norton and Edward Furlong in a drama film about 2 brothers where one is already a neo-Nazi who got out of prison, and another who is turning into one and is walking in his brother's footsteps. I honestly didn't get to see the original version as I got the edited one in high school, so I'm not gonna see about how brutal it was. Even so for what I watch of it, American History X is a fantastic film that really did a good job of making me feel sorry for a neo-Nazi. Edward Norton give a fantastic performance that I'm glad that he got nominated, even though I wished that he was the winner. Edward Furlong does a great job too as a kid actor, and I like the characters, even if they are complete jerks in this. The writing by David McKenna is well written, and even if it was edited, there are some brutal moments in this still that are a bit hard to watch. I did like that it's about two brothers as I got to know a lot about them two, especially with their conversations as they have good chemistry as brothers. If I get to watch it American History X again but the original version this time, I'll definitely watch it again.
½ May 12, 2016
A brutal story and sublime performance from Ed Norton power this great film.
½ May 6, 2016
There is no doubt, the film is in for a powerful message which is much more relevant to America than to me but it's not all that "Great" which I was led to believe prior to the viewing. The jail sequences (the transition period) were by far the best and most powerful in the whole movie. Other than that it was a mixed bag with more good apples than bad ones.
April 21, 2016
An Incredible story, following the journey of a Neo Natzi, inside the american Los Angeles culture. Edwards transformation across the film is not only artistically stunning but it leaves you bitting your fingernails to nubs. The following ensemble support this brilliant piece in showing off a true cultural epiphany. A film that you must see!
April 8, 2016
This controversial movie boasts one of Edward Norton best ever performances and symbolises change for the better, showing that anyone can change. Some of the viewing is uncomfortable to watch but it is 100% necessary as we watch the lead character go on a mental and physical journey for criminal to hero.
½ March 23, 2016
Interesting movie, manipulative ending. Shame they took the director's movie away from him in the 11th hour.