American History X - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American History X Reviews

February 17, 2018
Such an incredible sad movie. One of the best movies of all time. I highly recommend it. Great movie!
February 16, 2018
A dark comedy that tries to convey the message that racism is evil and yet does everything in it's power to make its audience a racist.
February 14, 2018
With great screenplay, American History X is one of the most serious and hair-raising films of the 90's. There are very few films, if any, that address the topic of racism in such a way. A definite must-see for anyone regardless of race.
February 7, 2018
American History X: With an impressive preformance from Edward Nortan and sharp political allegory that's as strong and relevant as it is today, American History X is an uncomfortable, coming of age masterpeice.
January 21, 2018
American History X (1998) ???
Frighteningly believable performance by Norton anchors (and single-handedly carries) this compelling drama about furious, hateful ex-prisoner now eager to keep younger brother from terrible life style he went through. A slideshow of innovative technical achievements, startling insights on lives in California, bravura acting by Edward; only flaw is eventually winding up a bit too "neat and tidy". Still a powerful and commanding presentation.
December 20, 2017
American History X is an amazing and brilliant film with a beautiful message. This is also easily Ed Norton's best performance thus far, which raises the question, why hasn't he won any Oscar yet?
December 4, 2017
The most significant scene in American History X is the one with the entire family at breakfast. The complete nuclear family structure is perfect, until the father exposes a kind of primal racism. It's all the more insidious because he introduces it as a concerned parent. The effect is reverberating. Audiences are so wrapped up in Derek's reaction that we forget Danny is listening too. The camera does a chilling thing when it turns to face Danny. It shows us that he is also consuming and internalizing his father's racism. As such, while their father's death triggered their complete transformation, it was during that breakfast that they were indoctrinated.
November 26, 2017
Edward Furlong gives his best performance here as Danny, Derek's younger brother. See Danny is following into his brothers footsteps. His teacher (Played by Avery Brooks) is tring to unbrainwash him. I might also note that Avery Brooks is very good here as well, actually the whole cast is very good. This is one the best acted movies of the 90's, snd that's saying alot. I have a hard time suggesting this movie to people though, people usually don't wanna watch a movie dealing with racism.

Especially when the main character is a white supremacist. Trust me, the movie doesn't promote racism at all, but you have watch it all the way through to see that. The message is a very strong one, so you have to be willing to see the bad stuff to get to the conclusion. I've seen American History X many times through the years, it still remains as powerful of a picture as the day I first saw it back in 2001.

If your a Norton fan, this movie is a must. It's the only movie with him that I rank higher than Fight Club and Primal Fear. Also this movie has the very famous curbing scene, don't know what curbing is? well your gonna have to watch the movie to find out. Like I said, this is a intense film but a very good one. I highly recommend it, it's one best movies of 98' and of the decade. If you love great acting or movie with a message, American History X mandatory viewing. P.S. I don't know why but I It funny this movie was released a day before my birthday (Oct. 30) American History X is a different kind of horror movie.
November 11, 2017
October 29, 2017
Such a great movie with such an impact and the strongest acting, American History X has scenes you wont forget about and a great ending.
American History X masterfully shows the life of Derek Vinyard as a neo nazi and a changed person, through black and white. The performance that Edward Furlong gives is almost as memorable as John Connor.
Overall, this movie is a 5 star.
October 21, 2017
Structured around the two central leads, all thoughts and idea are being absorbed from them, a lot are awfully wrong but others have some real purpose behind them. They reinforce the characters plenty to get a more impactful dialogue. It all just had to lead up to that fateful finale that involves an unforeseen and yet almost far-fetched scenario. It leaves you to wonder why it really happened.
August 16, 2017
Gripping and brutal led by an unbelievably realistic portrayal by Edward norton
August 15, 2017
American History X Provides insight of racism, propaganda, and has Edward Norton in his greatest performance with Edward Furlong in the running. The film has also been relevant to this day
August 2, 2017
Didn't rewatch so fudging the rating, donated the VHS
½ July 24, 2017
Great performance by Norton. Despite being made 18 years ago, subject matter remains very relevant now.
July 23, 2017
Awsome movie... one of edward nortons bests imo
July 22, 2017
I'm really excited to be reviewing this movie because it's my favorite movie. American History X is about a racist guy.
½ July 13, 2017
An intelligent and well-constructed piece of drama.
½ July 2, 2017
Edward Norton sears the screen in this compelling drama showing a rarely dude if the coin with white supremacist groups, and that is humanizing them in a sense. It's a very fine line to walk, but the film does an excellent job of exposing the deep flaws in these organizations while giving us characters that are strangely relatable and likable. The very touchy subject matter is handled very professionally, it gives believable reasons why one would join a group like this, and then turn away from it so quickly after building an entire lifestyle around it. The ending truly shocked me, and I found myself feeling much more for these characters than I expected to. My main issues is that the film does take its time, and that it is filled with a ton of exposition, which works really well, but does make me wish it would return to the present time. I also wish there was a little more focus on the African American groups in the film than there was
June 24, 2017
A very disturbing look in to how racism can both bring people together and at the same time tear them apart and whole communities apart. I don't think that people really realize even today how much hate is born and acted out because of a persons skin colour, religious beliefs or sexual orientation. You would think that after all we've seen we don't realize we all bleed red and all too often over race. This movie really hits that out of the park.