The American President - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The American President Reviews

½ December 5, 2017
Superbly witty and intelligent film that hits all the right notes. Stellar cast, spot-on directing and wonderful chemistry between the two leads. Everything a romantic comedy ought to be.
"A. J. MacInerney: [to President Andrew Shepherd] Oh, you only fight the fights you can win? You fight the fights that need fighting!"
½ June 16, 2017
I have no doubt that I watched this far too long after its release, and thus part of its novelty was lost. Still, the film has a nice charm and chemistry between its leading cast, though a more unique ending would have been preferable.
April 8, 2017
The romance was great but the blatant political agenda killed it.
February 15, 2017
It's a bit of a ridiculous set-up, but like "The West Wing", it's hard for me not to be charmed by Sorkin's quippy political idealism.
½ January 12, 2017
Your run of the mill romantic chick flicks, made difficult by political boundaries. It was fine, and cute, and all that gushy stuff. Michael Douglas made for the perfect President in this movie, and you get some nice monologues from the two Michaels (Douglas and J. Fox), some good performances from them, Annette Benning, Martin Sheen, and others, and a nice taste of a President's daily life. You really do root for this President, as you see his emotional state for matters that, to him, are more important than his political standing. Not bad.
November 23, 2016
The idea is catchy and the screenplay is well written but it's hard to believe as the liberal views play out strongly near the end without ever questioning their validity.
½ July 24, 2016
Oh would that we could go back to 1995 when there was still civility and higher purpose in Washington D.C. How did the US descend into the current morass? This movie was written by Aaron Sorkin - pre West-Wing. Wonderful performances by all.
½ July 9, 2016
Years ago when it came out it was one of mine and my husbands favorite flick. Then I grew up and actually understood the politics of the movie. A bunch a dramatized liberal bullsh@t. Please come to my door to "get the guns!".
June 21, 2016
It's hard to understand now, but back in the '90s they considered it a plausible dramatic possibility that the president would have to choose which of two groundbreaking pieces of legislation he would get Congress to enact. And apparently issues of character were somehow enough to call into question someone's suitability for office. The scandal raising such questions of character being a widower having an entirely consensual romance with an equally single woman of about his age. It's a little bit confusing for a millennial. As you might imagine, the film's somewhat dated at this point, although still pretty good as a relic of its time and a basic romantic comedy. If you want a film more evocative of our current situation I'd suggest The Purge: Election Year.
June 15, 2016
President falls in love in this drama. Reiner who was once promising when directing such classics as "Stand by Me " and "Princess Bride" but lately he's been in dudsville with "North" and now this.
March 17, 2016
Petite comedie sentimale avec M.Douglas. Seulement trop moralisateur. Ca tombe a plat.
February 3, 2016
Love this movie. Love Michael Douglas in this movie. One of my favorite movies of his. Great chemistry between them.
October 26, 2015
Featuring Aaron Sorkin below par, The American President sidelines its political snap in favour of a soppy and rushed fairy tale romance.
½ October 3, 2015
Caught one of my favorites on REELZ.
September 8, 2015
Rob Reiner's The American President might be the last film from his career that would be appreciated by critics, and if this was his last film, I would've thought that he ended his career in a right time for this movie as it would be a way to go. Michael Douglas and Annette Bening are really good, and the chemistry between them are really well done thanks to Aaron Sorkin's well written script. The conversations that they have are really good and interesting that I really wanted them to be together. I was really glad that I had no idea where it's going because the premise made it seem like the film was going to be just about the romance between the president and Sydney, but it's not just about it as it shows what the media thinks about it and what other problems that president Andy has to go through. The supporting cast like Martin Sheen, Michael J. Fox, and Richard Dreyfuss are really good which I didn't really expect them to be in it that much. The speeches are really good, the arguments are very developed with some good points not just from the president, but from other people who are with him, or against him. There are a lot of funny moments in the beginning, but it does get serious when it gets to the middle or end which is effectively well done. So for it, The American President is a very well done movie from Rob Reiner and writer Aaron Sorkin that seems like Rob Reiner couldn't make a fantastic film without him.
July 29, 2015
One of Rob Reiner's finest films. Not just Rob Reiner's finest. This is a great cast. This is a great story. There are great lines of dialogue in this film. Michael Douglas, Annette Benning, Martin Sheen, Michael J. Fox, John Mahoney, Rob Reiner and Aaron Sorkin all deliver the "A" game. I hope this is a non-partisan, patriotic film.
½ July 24, 2015
Its a very good feel good movie.
½ June 21, 2015
One of my Father's favorite movies. One of mine as well.
June 11, 2015
Light on politics, breezy cute humor, and enough inspirational cheese to make you cringe.
½ April 23, 2015
A good solid drama from Reiner,a little melodramatic but the actors more than compensate.