Amour - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Amour Reviews

½ September 24, 2016
Powerful and gripping, Amour connects you to each character and allows you to feel their agonizing love in an all to realistic situation that we never want to think about.
July 4, 2016
Beautiful story, way too long. Parts were inserted just to illustrate time- just get on with it already. Heartbreakingly sad, yet moving in a small obscure way.
April 30, 2016
It's a good story of the challenges love can present, unfortunately it's also very slow and very dull.
February 28, 2016
Intimate and beautiful. People say it's slow, but old people are slow...
February 3, 2016
Amour is a humanistic, heartwrenching, intense intimate drama about disablement that explores the boundaries of love with sincerity and sensitivity - benefiting from superb work from writer-director Haneke and sublime performances from leads Trintignant and Riva.
January 10, 2016
Abrasive, heart wrenching, and deeply moving. Amour is a masterpiece.
Grade: A+
½ January 7, 2016
With outstanding lead performances and sharp direction, Haneke depicts an honest, compassionate and at times confronting portrayal of old age's devastation, and the film's translation, 'love.'
Marjeez
January 2, 2016
Haneke is one of our greatest directors working today, and this will likely be a front-runner for this year's Best Foreign Pic Oscar.
December 13, 2015
Do children feel secure if they hear their parents make love??
½ December 10, 2015
dreaded watching this knowing it would be sad; it was actually really well handled -- the main character is so stoic. What intrigued me was the apparently contradictory ability for me to completely empathize with both the father and his actions, as well as the daughter's. oh, the mystery of the ending!
½ December 5, 2015
A complete devastating, unflinching and heartfelt movie! Be wise to pick the right time to watch this otherwise nothing couldn't be sadder.
½ November 27, 2015
An absolutely gut-wrenching look at what life is like when it is at it's most difficult.
½ November 27, 2015
Riipaisevan koskettava ranskalainen elokuva. <3 Upeasti näytelty ja ohjattu. (y) (Suom. Rakkaus)
November 14, 2015
Probably Michael Haneke's most endearing and heartwarming movie, unlike his previous violent works. Despite the shocking twist at the end, we observe the meaning of true love throughout thanks to the electrifying performances of the 2 leads. I sincerely hope that Emmanuelle Riva can win the Oscar.
November 12, 2015
I can understand showing the hardship in showing the eventual downfall of a loved one but the pacing is terribly slow and drawn out and for a movie format, it felt tired and uninspired. The acting is excellent but does not excuse the problems it carries with it.
November 5, 2015
Brilliant work from a brilliant filmmaker. In a time where almost every film in theaters is obsessed with fast cuts, shaky cameras, and brainless entertainment, words cannot describe how much I appreciate Michael Haneke and how sad I will be when he's gone. Some incredibly brave performances, the wonderfully patient and subtle direction that Haneke is known for, and a truly heartbreaking depiction of old age and two peoples' love for one another. Probably Haneke's best next to "Caché".
October 7, 2015
Bold scripting, rock-solid performances, and elegant, patient direction make this an enrapturing tale from an uncommon point of view that requires a strong sense of maturity.
October 5, 2015
It is always impressive to see how Haneke can be so subtle and forceful as with this magnificent and devastating oeuvre about aging, devotion, love and death - a work that surprises us for its deep tenderness and honesty while striking us with an overwhelming emotional power.
October 4, 2015
Amazing, poignant film about stroke. Everything about it is perfect.
October 4, 2015
This film pulls no punches about aging, illness and dying. Yet, the duel performances of the main characters show a couple coping gracefully, albeit severely struggling with end of life dilemmas. The director artfully captures the day to day banalities of life for older people rarely portrayed in narrative film.