Amour - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Amour Reviews

August 12, 2017
Amour is an unsettlingly honest masterpiece with outstanding lead performances and a heartbreaking storyline which makes us realize quietly about the ways of life.
½ July 31, 2017
Haunting, but endurable
July 30, 2017
Do you like lots of well directed stellar acting and not much else? Then you will love Amour. It's not a knock against this terrific film, but you should know what you are getting into. If you remove everything from a drama except for (mostly) two actors, one apartment, and a low-concept story, you are left with lots of room to stretch those artistic muscles.

Amour is about an elderly couple who are still very much in love and dealing with the trials of old age. The film asks "What would you do for the one you love?." This question becomes more relevant when the proud wife, Anne, suffers a stroke and the indignities that follow while being cared for by her noble husband, Georges.

The film is more concerned with people's reaction to an event than the event itself. This is evident near the beginning of the film where the camera is locked on a jarring wide shot of an audience watching a live musical performance. You never see the action on stage because this movie isn't about that. What you need to pay attention to is the people's reactions.

In fact you only see two significant action moments in the whole film, one at the beginning that begins the conflict and one at the end the resolves it. The rest of the film takes place in the in-between moments. A funny funeral moment is described but never witnessed, we see Anne return from the hospital but never actually see he receiving care, and many other cinematic moments are cut out.

The film is about how far you would go for love but it's also about dealing with pain. When pain is experienced together, who's pain should be accommodated? It's great.

The climax of the film... I'm not sure I'm on board with. Made me feel odd, which I guess what the point but I'm still sorting out my feelings on that. It's a long and slow movie but I was engaged the whole time until that moment, then I felt every minute of the rest of the film. I even audibly exclaimed "Are they gonna make us watch this whole part?!"

Great film. Not for everybody. Great for discussion.
½ July 9, 2017
4.2/5

Amour is one of those movies that even with its tiny flaws (the nightmare scene being one of them and the reason why I dont rate it higher), is quite perfect as it is, as every aspect of it manages to create an organic, deep, and outstandingly honest film.
½ June 26, 2017
A touching yet heartbreaking look into the debilitating illness of a woman who is being cared for by her doting husband. The performances are strong especially Emmanuelle Riva (known for her much lauded work in Hiroshima Mon Amor) and while it can be intense and a tough watch at times, it is certainly captivating and memorable.
June 25, 2017
Live is hard as it is, we don't need to pay for more sadness, the movie may be considered good by many, but didn't entertained, sparked my curiosity, it didn't even teach me something. It's just slow torture for 2h.
½ April 25, 2017
perfectly understated
April 3, 2017
Amour: This is one of the most brutally honest movies about death of the elderly that I have ever seen - no moving music score, no montages of a happier youth - just tedious monotony, loneliness and despair. Emmanuelle Riva's Oscar-nominated portrayal of a retired music teacher in physical and mental decline serves as a grim reminder of the fate each of us will ultimately face if we live long enough. Despite dragging at times, this movie will stick with you long after you leave the theater. B+
½ December 17, 2016
Powerful and gripping, Amour connects you to each character and allows you to feel their agonizing love in an all too realistic situation that we never want to think about.
December 9, 2016
Tragic and heart-breaking. It makes me think a lot and now I am getting emotional. I hope dad will forgive all of us. We never meant to hurt him or make him suffer.
December 9, 2016
Amour (Haneke): True to its title, this film shows us what love really is - in all its tenderness and brutality. 4.5/5 #Cinemanila
November 30, 2016
It is always impressive to see how Haneke can be so subtle and forceful as with this magnificent and devastating oeuvre about aging, devotion, love and death - a film that surprises us for its deep tenderness and honesty while striking us with an overwhelming emotional power.
July 4, 2016
Beautiful story, way too long. Parts were inserted just to illustrate time- just get on with it already. Heartbreakingly sad, yet moving in a small obscure way.
April 30, 2016
It's a good story of the challenges love can present, unfortunately it's also very slow and very dull.
February 28, 2016
Intimate and beautiful. People say it's slow, but old people are slow...
February 3, 2016
Amour is a humanistic, heartwrenching, intense intimate drama about disablement that explores the boundaries of love with sincerity and sensitivity - benefiting from superb work from writer-director Haneke and sublime performances from leads Trintignant and Riva.
January 10, 2016
Abrasive, heart wrenching, and deeply moving. Amour is a masterpiece.
Grade: A+
½ January 7, 2016
With outstanding lead performances and sharp direction, Haneke depicts an honest, compassionate and at times confronting portrayal of old age's devastation, and the film's translation, 'love.'
Marjeez
January 2, 2016
Haneke is one of our greatest directors working today, and this will likely be a front-runner for this year's Best Foreign Pic Oscar.
December 13, 2015
Do children feel secure if they hear their parents make love??