Amour - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

perfectly understated
April 17, 2017
Haunting, but endurable
April 3, 2017
Amour: This is one of the most brutally honest movies about death of the elderly that I have ever seen - no moving music score, no montages of a happier youth - just tedious monotony, loneliness and despair. Emmanuelle Riva's Oscar-nominated portrayal of a retired music teacher in physical and mental decline serves as a grim reminder of the fate each of us will ultimately face if we live long enough. Despite dragging at times, this movie will stick with you long after you leave the theater. B+
½ December 17, 2016
Powerful and gripping, Amour connects you to each character and allows you to feel their agonizing love in an all too realistic situation that we never want to think about.
December 9, 2016
Tragic and heart-breaking. It makes me think a lot and now I am getting emotional. I hope dad will forgive all of us. We never meant to hurt him or make him suffer.
December 9, 2016
Amour (Haneke): True to its title, this film shows us what love really is - in all its tenderness and brutality. 4.5/5 #Cinemanila
November 30, 2016
It is always impressive to see how Haneke can be so subtle and forceful as with this magnificent and devastating oeuvre about aging, devotion, love and death - a film that surprises us for its deep tenderness and honesty while striking us with an overwhelming emotional power.
July 4, 2016
Beautiful story, way too long. Parts were inserted just to illustrate time- just get on with it already. Heartbreakingly sad, yet moving in a small obscure way.
April 30, 2016
It's a good story of the challenges love can present, unfortunately it's also very slow and very dull.
February 28, 2016
Intimate and beautiful. People say it's slow, but old people are slow...
February 3, 2016
Amour is a humanistic, heartwrenching, intense intimate drama about disablement that explores the boundaries of love with sincerity and sensitivity - benefiting from superb work from writer-director Haneke and sublime performances from leads Trintignant and Riva.
January 10, 2016
Abrasive, heart wrenching, and deeply moving. Amour is a masterpiece.
Grade: A+
½ January 7, 2016
With outstanding lead performances and sharp direction, Haneke depicts an honest, compassionate and at times confronting portrayal of old age's devastation, and the film's translation, 'love.'
Marjeez
January 2, 2016
Haneke is one of our greatest directors working today, and this will likely be a front-runner for this year's Best Foreign Pic Oscar.
December 13, 2015
Do children feel secure if they hear their parents make love??
½ December 10, 2015
dreaded watching this knowing it would be sad; it was actually really well handled -- the main character is so stoic. What intrigued me was the apparently contradictory ability for me to completely empathize with both the father and his actions, as well as the daughter's. oh, the mystery of the ending!
½ December 5, 2015
A complete devastating, unflinching and heartfelt movie! Be wise to pick the right time to watch this otherwise nothing couldn't be sadder.
½ November 27, 2015
An absolutely gut-wrenching look at what life is like when it is at it's most difficult.
½ November 27, 2015
Riipaisevan koskettava ranskalainen elokuva. <3 Upeasti näytelty ja ohjattu. (y) (Suom. Rakkaus)
November 14, 2015
Probably Michael Haneke's most endearing and heartwarming movie, unlike his previous violent works. Despite the shocking twist at the end, we observe the meaning of true love throughout thanks to the electrifying performances of the 2 leads. I sincerely hope that Emmanuelle Riva can win the Oscar.