The Anarchist Cookbook - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Anarchist Cookbook Reviews

April 6, 2016
Fair independent movie, which would probably be better if ever remade.
½ August 10, 2014
(First and only viewing - 12/4/2008)
May 19, 2014
Preachy and pro-narc. It shows though you get shit done if the insane parts of the far left and right unite.
October 10, 2012
This movie freaking rox, its not really about punk rock, so dont watch it for that, its the anarchy part that is awsome
½ January 24, 2012
i tried to watch it....i really did. but i really prefer "slc: punk" to this movie
½ February 10, 2011
witty dialogue and overall entertaining.
½ April 26, 2010
I don't remember this movie well, but I know I didn't enjoy it.
March 10, 2010
under rated, low budget, masterpiece.
November 30, 2009
This movie was by far the hardest movie to track down out of any movie I've tried to find ever. It was actually harder for me to find this then it was to find the book that it references. It reminded me of an updated SLC Punk. SLC Punk was better, but this wasn't too bad. It was almost like SLC Punk meets Fight Club. If you can find it, I'd say watch it, but good luck finding it.
½ November 2, 2009
The Anarchist Cookbook (2002) I am not sure when this ended up in my queue. I guess I kept it there to see the views of Dallas and east dallas since I lived there for 20 years. Let's see, we have Anarchists, Nihilists, anti-government right-wingers, wealthy Republicans, Neo-Nazis, but no Democrats at all. Being a moderate Democrat which at times veers towards Centrism, I found this movie lacking a bit. While some scenes were smart, others came off as stupid, un-original, un-realistic and improvised. Puck lives with his friends in a Anarchist commune somewhere in Texas. These are Anarchist that resemble more flower children. One day, a Nihilist called Johnny Black shows up, offer everyone drugs and violence as a weapon and somehow becomes the leader. Later on, the Anrchist forge an alliance wit other anti-establishment groups such as Neo-Nazis. First of all, not all Anarchists are peace loving intellectuals. Many are upper-class spoiled brats that simply want to vandalize anything (Yes I know plenty of these, they do exist). Many do follow Anarchist theory but fail to realize it's utopianism. Johnny Red the early leader,constantly lionizes Sweden as an exemplary society but somehow Social Democrats are missing from the film's universe. Anarchists tend to be socially liberal and would NEVER form an alliance with Neo-Nazis. If Puck didn't agree with the system, he could of found ways to subvert it by integrating himself into alternative cultures and political movements (YES, lobbying does work). Other reviewers are correct in pointing out the similarities between this movie and SLC Punk and Trainspotting. Despite its plot's weakness, Anarchist Cookbook has a weak witty script and at moments wanna be stylish direction however the film is just a bomb. The most boring piece of c r a p I have seen in ages. negative one star.
November 2, 2009
October 1, 2009
anarchy all the way.... love this movie
½ May 27, 2009
reminded me of trainspotting and fight club
February 23, 2009
Dramedy? Bloody hell.
½ January 11, 2009
Whoever made this movie really like Trainspotting and SLC Punk. Go watch those movies instead of this one.
December 12, 2008
Great movie. The dialogue was great and funny. Story was good and great character design! Interesting concepts just too extreme! I actually want to see the Anarchist Cookbook just to see what all the fuss was about!
½ December 4, 2008
Kind of a cool independent film, but its not very compelling to be honest. If you want to watch a much better film watch SLC Punk. This movie is nothing special.
½ September 30, 2008
it didn't have much of a reason, but nonetheless entertaining.
September 14, 2008
This is a movie that really wanted to be Fight Club.
½ September 3, 2008
yeah, i thought it was a pretty okay movie. the acting was fine. i just felt pretty unattached to any of the characters throughout the movie.