The Anarchist Cookbook Reviews

• Apr 06, 2016

Fair independent movie, which would probably be better if ever remade.

Fair independent movie, which would probably be better if ever remade.

• May 19, 2014

Preachy and pro-narc. It shows though you get shit done if the insane parts of the far left and right unite.

• Oct 10, 2012

This movie freaking rox, its not really about punk rock, so dont watch it for that, its the anarchy part that is awsome

• Feb 10, 2011

witty dialogue and overall entertaining.

witty dialogue and overall entertaining.

• Apr 22, 2010

I don't remember this movie well, but I know I didn't enjoy it.

I don't remember this movie well, but I know I didn't enjoy it.

• Mar 10, 2010

under rated, low budget, masterpiece.

under rated, low budget, masterpiece.

• Feb 14, 2010

(First and only viewing - 12/4/2008)

(First and only viewing - 12/4/2008)

• Nov 02, 2009

The Anarchist Cookbook (2002) I am not sure when this ended up in my queue. I guess I kept it there to see the views of Dallas and east dallas since I lived there for 20 years. Let's see, we have Anarchists, Nihilists, anti-government right-wingers, wealthy Republicans, Neo-Nazis, but no Democrats at all. Being a moderate Democrat which at times veers towards Centrism, I found this movie lacking a bit. While some scenes were smart, others came off as stupid, un-original, un-realistic and improvised. Puck lives with his friends in a Anarchist commune somewhere in Texas. These are Anarchist that resemble more flower children. One day, a Nihilist called Johnny Black shows up, offer everyone drugs and violence as a weapon and somehow becomes the leader. Later on, the Anrchist forge an alliance wit other anti-establishment groups such as Neo-Nazis. First of all, not all Anarchists are peace loving intellectuals. Many are upper-class spoiled brats that simply want to vandalize anything (Yes I know plenty of these, they do exist). Many do follow Anarchist theory but fail to realize it's utopianism. Johnny Red the early leader,constantly lionizes Sweden as an exemplary society but somehow Social Democrats are missing from the film's universe. Anarchists tend to be socially liberal and would NEVER form an alliance with Neo-Nazis. If Puck didn't agree with the system, he could of found ways to subvert it by integrating himself into alternative cultures and political movements (YES, lobbying does work). Other reviewers are correct in pointing out the similarities between this movie and SLC Punk and Trainspotting. Despite its plot's weakness, Anarchist Cookbook has a weak witty script and at moments wanna be stylish direction however the film is just a bomb. The most boring piece of c r a p I have seen in ages. negative one star.

• Nov 02, 2009