Araburu tamashii-tachi (Agitator) (The Outlaw Souls) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Araburu tamashii-tachi (Agitator) (The Outlaw Souls) Reviews

garyX
February 11, 2012
Takashi Miike's Agitator is a story set in the world of the Japanese Yakuza. A larger gang engineers the death of two of its smaller rivals leaders in an attempt to absorb them into their family, not counting on the fierce loyalty of one of their factions and their need for retribution. This film is ultimately about the difference between the needs of big business and the individual set in the brutal world of crime. Kunihiko is not shown as a hero exactly, just a man with an honest single-mindedness who cannot forget the loyalty to his "brothers" forged on the street for the sake of business interests; something that the slippery, money obsessed pseudo-bureaucrats at the top of the ladder cannot understand. It's a tough, uncompromising gangster story filled with graphic violence and has some interesting subtexts, as Kunihiko is shown almost as a samurai Ronin who has no purpose in life other than to avenge his master. Scenes involving a woman who I can only assume is Kunihiko's girlfriend pop up randomly and seem out of place mainly because she is never even mentioned when she is off screen, but otherwise its a cleverly plotted and visceral gangster film that I'd recommend to all fans of Takeshi Kitano and Martin Scorsese, or crime drama in general.
½ March 19, 2011
pretty dull first half, better second half, also too long and a little too generic. other than that it's pretty awesome, if that makes sense. once I could actually fully tell what was going on (frankly some of the stuff with the gangs, who was fighting who and who was at war on which side confused me at times in the first half) with the one character who loses his boss after taking a yakuza guy hostage, then it picked up steam and was fine. but for many it will be dullsville. It didn't really need to be an "epic".
December 13, 2010
Miike delivers a good, more down-to-earth and dramatic Yakuza film.
August 23, 2009
Okay yakuza tale from Miike. Not his best but very slick and well put together, and is reminiscent of Fukasaku's great 70s gangster films. The choice of music is worth noting as it reminds me of French new wave...
July 6, 2009
A very restrained Miike film about the politics of the Yakuza, where board meetings about possible mergers and successions are mixed up with short burst of extreme violence. Interesting movie that further demonstrates Miike's versatility.
July 5, 2009
From what I've heard, apart from the obscene opening involving a karaoke mike, this could very well be the most realistic portrayal of real-world Yakuza life--in all of its mundane, monotonous anti-glory. And apart from the occasional shoot' em ups (typical of this genre), I believe the intentionally slower-pacing of this epic allows us the viewer to better appreciate the character history/development of some of the most pivotal players of a typical Yakuza business/work day!
December 27, 2008
great Yakuza epic but not one of Miike's best films. there are great characters in this film but none really stand out like you might expect from a Miike film. it also seems a bit too long but every second of the film in important. the story is great and there were some Miike-esqe scenes but it didn't have the same kind of punch that a lot of his other films have. i'd consider this great for a casual viewer because it lacks some of that Miike punch... i also suggest Sabu
November 1, 2008
So it's all about politics, mergers and acquisitions in this epic yakuza flick. It's only a shame the banking world doesn't kill itself off in similar fashion. The world would be a much better place ...
½ September 11, 2008
Quand T. Miike veut bien se donner la peine, c'est pas mal du tout !
½ July 21, 2008
Beautiful/Brutal, Miikes Masterpiece
May 27, 2008
It's a sprawling awesome Yakuza epic full of everything the perfect gangster film needs. The movie is long, but builds into a mess of betrayals across all families all coming back to the small Higuchi gang. The movie isn't as violent as the other miike Yakuza films, but it didn't need to be. It's all about the undying loyalty of one solider to his boss and how he takes it on himself to dish out vengeance to anyone and everyone who deserves it. The main character is very likable and this is by far one of the strongest Miike Yakuza films as well as one of the best gangster movies in general out there.
½ May 13, 2008
An enticing look in the ethics, morals and traditions of the Japanese Yakuza. Not the usual Miike perversion, but still delivered as a masterpiece.
½ April 12, 2008
Agitator is a great film. Unfortunately, the dvd has a fog over some of the more violent scenes, which pisses me off. That being said, as far as visual storytelling, Agitator is where it's at.
April 6, 2008
Una de las mejores películas de Yakuza.
½ March 11, 2008
The plot itself is overly convoluted, fairly cliche, and needlessly drawn out. The true value of this movie is found in it unique, and subtlety brilliant execution. Lots of telling character moments, strong acting and cleaver compositions. Miike has a talent for making over the top comic book elements seem mundane and naturalistic.
February 28, 2008
The most beautiful aspect of this movie that really got me going is the music they play when the guy kills someone, it glorifies death as it is supposed to be.
February 5, 2008
Not as twisted as Miikes other films & found myself slightly disapointed after watching it the first time.. but that was probably due to lack of perversion, violence, blood & guts... but after watching it a second time I realise its a more realistic portrayal... still 4 stars
January 16, 2008
Confusing and overlong Yakuza thriller that will probably become clearer on a second or thirds viewing, but due to lack of stand out scenes doesn't really encourage repeated visits.
January 5, 2008
miike&co strikes again. much better than most of the western ones. brutal but still somehow touching. 'life is like a meteor.'
December 25, 2007
I loved how the young yakuza truly knew what it meant to be a yakuza. awesome ending. and the music really sets the scene. loved it.