Around the World in 80 Days - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Around the World in 80 Days Reviews

½ July 15, 2017
Cute funny and entertaing if you enjoy shanghi noon and the rush hour movies it'll be a fun watch
July 2, 2017
Probably not even close to the book, but I'd like to see it anyways..
½ June 11, 2017
I remember, in my review of TMNT: Out of the Shadows review a couple of days ago, going over several of the things that I grew up with as a child. I mentioned TMNT, naturally, Terminator and the Power Rangers. Another thing, or person, that I forgot to mention on that list was Jackie Chan. I was a big Jackie Chan fan when he first burst on the North American scene with Rumble in the Bronx. Actually, Jackie Chan tried twice to break into the U.S market in the 80s, both films were disappointments and didn't use him to the best of his abilities. But I digress, I was a huge fan of Mr. Chan when I was a kid. But I still remain a big fan of his work and his dedication to creating some insane as fuck stunts that none of his North American counterparts would ever subject themselves to. I think Chan is the only one I can say that about, as his work stands the test of time and it's not even just nostalgia on my part. Look at some of his craziest stunts and tell me that it's not amazing to this day. Whereas TMNT or Power Rangers, it was just something I loved at the time but, if I were to look back on it as an adult, I'd just be embarrassed to have ever liked them. I can't say the same about the first two Terminator films, those are still some damn good movies. Everything that came after those first two is what sucked. But I digress, the point is that Jackie Chan's legacy will outlive him and will continue to inspire others who want to pursue a career in martial arts films. Say what you will about Mr. Chan, I know I've said in the past that he's never been a great actor, but I think he was able to get by in the 90s to mid-00s just by his affability and charisma. Everyone knows he can't act, or at least his English is so bad that it makes it difficult to take him seriously as an actor. And, really, Jackie was already slowing down by the time Rush Hour came out, so he had to rely more on his friendly demeanor more than on his physical gifts, since I don't think his stunts in American films ever matched the ones in his Hong Kong films. Part of that is just the fact that his body was already breaking down, but I think it also has to do with the studio wanting to protect the man from himself. This brings us to this film, which tries to replicate that same 'opposites attract' from the Rush Hour franchise and Shanghai Noon/Knights, films that brought Jackie his biggest successes. The problem with this here is that Jackie has much better chemistry with both Chris Tucker and Owen Wilson than he does with his partner here, Steve Coogan. It's not that their chemistry is nonexistent, but it's certainly a little lacking. Steve Coogan is the best comedic actor between Owen, Tucker and himself, it goes without saying, but I don't think Jackie's style mixes all that well with Coogan's more deadpan and dry delivery. That's not to say that they aren't entertaining together, because they have their moments. I think part of that may be the scripting of the characters, Phileas and Lau Xing are meant to grow as friends as the film progresses, but I just never got that sense of a developing friendship between the two characters. The only sign that these two are friends is that the film explicitly tells you that they are. But, to be fair, I think the scripting and Coogan's chemistry with Jackie are both to blame. Even with that, I do think the film manages to be sporadically entertaining. Not consistent, of course, but I do like seeing these people on their journey around the world and how they get to their final destination even with all of the obstacles that are thrown in their way. One of the more entertaining recurring jokes in the film is this corrupt Inspector, by the name of Fix, and how every time he's seen, he ends up finding himself on the losing end of an assault. It's played for laughs, of course, and it's one of the few bits of the film that actually feels inspired. Jim Broadbent was in this movie and I sure wish he had more on-screen time because he was pretty great as this over-the-top villain. Oh and the action sequences are actually good as well. There's a couple of full-on kung fu scenes and it was certainly surprising, it's just not what I thought what this film would be, but they were actually, to me, the best part of the entire movie. Again, it's not like the fights themselves are among Jackie's best, but they're still solidly choreographed and entertaining. But the problem with this is the fact that the fights themselves feel so forced in there. Like Jackie had to get his team some work somehow and they found an angle to do so and they took it, regardless of whether or not it made sense. Yes, the fight scenes made the movie better, but I still don't think they fit with what the movie was really meant to be about. Cause that angle, Lau Xing took back a Jade Buddha that was stolen from his village, which is why he has assassins after him, doesn't really play any part in how the main narrative develops. And the film is already a little bloated. But I get the need to make it a longer, it's a story about a journey around the world, so you have to make it feel even a little bit epic. I do believe, though, that this could have used a little more trimming. I don't know what else to say about this. This is certainly watchable enough, if you've got a few hours to kill, but there's nothing about this that's even remotely memorable. It's missing truly great chemistry between Coogan and Jackie, the story is a little bit lackluster, length is a little bloated and it's got unnecessary subplots. It's still decent enough, but it's almost as if the film is working against its own best interests at every turn. I've seen much, much worse, but it's not like I can give this a full recommendation. Jackie's done better. I'm sure Shanghai Noon is available for cheap somewhere, that's better than this.
½ May 1, 2017
Lax plotting and a questionable use of teh source material, Coraci's adventure isn't as bad as its reputation may suggest. A game cast, some fun comic-kung fu setpieces with Chan and an optimistic and chipper tone go a long way.
April 27, 2017
Mildly entertaining, but a wasted opportunity. Disney had a perfect classic story to work with and somehow dropped the ball on this one. Poor casting and directing choices. All that said, it is still an improvement over the 1956 film. (First and only viewing - 9/14/2010)
April 4, 2017
Certes on est loin de l'oeuvre originale mais le film est divertissant grace a Jackie sans oublier quelques guests qui apparaissent tout le long du film.
April 2, 2017
It could have been worse. In fact, some parts were pretty decent. Cameos were good, Jackie Chan being Jackie Chan was good. Some dialogue and scenes were clever. Overall, it could have been better and considering the massive budget, it should have been.
½ February 27, 2017
This was racist, horrible, and stupidly cheesy
February 12, 2017
It was a pretty cute family movie. Had more of plot that I was expecting. Had pretty good action scenes and made me chuckle a few times.
½ January 27, 2017
Movie feels like it never ended.
½ January 8, 2017
Despite some impressive stunt work, Around the World in 80 Days' cheap production, thin characterization, and severe lack of laughs prevent it from being as adventurous as it wants to be.
January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
June 7, 2016
Really creative and funny movie to watch.
½ February 9, 2016
A wild adventure that while very silly, is also very entertaining. I haven't seen the original and I doubt it's anything real similar to it but I enjoyed this movie for what it was worth. It's a family friendly adventure that consistently funny and exciting.
½ February 3, 2016
130523: This film is hot and cold. Good and bad. Depends upon the moment. A could've been film. Will not, likely, make an attempt to watch again but don't regret watching it this time. Some good martial arts fight scenes and some fun to be had.
January 22, 2016
The lack of interest, the poor jokes and the lack of unpredictability are enough to forget the suitable cast performances and its, whilom, well-written story.
January 22, 2016
½ October 22, 2015
This film is filled with Too many inaccuracies for the time period this film is based upon. This film is also very different from the original film.

I did like the action scenes in Paris. Having Jackie Chan in the film go to China.

This film shows an entertaining Journey.

I do like the film score theme for this film.

The computer graphics are interesting.

In this version there is more action. Phileas Fogg is considered an inventor with questionable objects of his time similar to Doc Brown in Back to the Future. Phileas Fogg abilities are considered questionable to the scientific community. If wins Phileas Fogg is to become head Minister of the Scientific Community in England. But if he does not make it he is to decommission his laboratory and no longer invent again.

This film is filled with more obsticils than encountered the 1950's version.

Also the ethnicity of Monique La Roche & Passepartout is reversed compared to the 1956 version. In the 1956 version Passepartout is a Spanish ethic background & Princess Aouda is from India. I found the culture mix better and more interesting match compared to the 1956 film.

This film has more trying to stop the trip than in the 1956 version of the film.
August 21, 2015
A rather silly, unnecessarily violent film that seems a bit of a bore fest. An exceptional cast almost wasted on a goofy action/adventure movie that drags on for much too long. The fight scenes stretch to an unbearable length, and I found myself getting quite bored with it. Despite this, there are some good lines and scenes delivered by Coogan and Chan, who practically save this movie, but I would say it's just a rather dull family picture.
July 26, 2015
I been around the world and it was great this film is fine.